Historical Moment to Turn the Program Around? | Syracusefan.com

Historical Moment to Turn the Program Around?

Oakland

2022 Iggy Winner: ACC Record
One of the reasons that SU is having trouble returning to success is the dominance of PedSt and the rise of the UConn and Rutgers programs, and having to divide the NE talent pool with them.

Now I see:

1) PedSt's recruiting declining because they are PedSt and now everyone outside of PedSt knows that they are PedSt along with all the insiders at PedSt who have known they were PedSt for years. Honesty, what player wants to go there and use those shower facilities?
2) UConn and Rut left behind in a decidely second rate BEC conference
3) Even WV might not recruit as well in the NE with most of their games now in the Midwest
4) And BC a sucking doormat of a team (maybe I shouldn't say this too loud)

I don't know if it will pay off in a significant uptick in recruiting, but the opportunity has certainly presented itself.

coming from a program whose staff salary that has a very good chance being paid less than Youngstown St. and most likely Tulane is very funny.

ANY ASSISTANT from rutgirls would bolt in a second if they had the chance to double their pay,which would very easy to accomplish

It's the perfect storm for SU. Just hope they take advantage.

While we're on the subject, I wish we'd spread the New York's College team theme to outside of NYC. If you can afford billboards in the city, it doesn't seem unreasonable to put some billboards up near all the major entryways into the state. The little things.

I'd love to see a few billboards over here in the Hudson Valley and Albany area. You know, New York's Capital. New York's College Team. Seems like a natural.

While we're on the subject, I wish we'd spread the New York's College team theme to outside of NYC. If you can afford billboards in the city, it doesn't seem unreasonable to put some billboards up near all the major entryways into the state. The little things.

Prefect storm - I like it. We can only hope.

I'd love to see a few billboards over here in the Hudson Valley and Albany area. You know, New York's Capital. New York's College Team. Seems like a natural.
Could not agree more. Bring in other major NY metros. A billboard here and there doesn't cost much. Especially in those markets.

They don't cost much in other cities because fewer people see them. Not sure they would do much for us.
Billboards at the bridge and tunnel entrance/exits are enormously expensive - just like everything else in NYC.
The best thing for us is exactly what Dr Gross is doing - playing games in the Meadowlands. All sorts of free pub and we get paid large bucks to do it!

It is a perfect storm, however, it's just a tough sell. NYS is so regionalized, different from many other states. When you really think about it, SU should have no difficulty whatsoever to sell out the dome if the state residents cared a hoot about SU. The Buffalo area with all its population & only 2 hours away, for the most part, could care a less about Syracuse. Generally, Albany and areas east don't really care either. Now, the North country does have a huge following, but, for obvious reasons, there's not a lot to capitalize up there on.

I don't know why this is, other than possibly for so long SU (being private and all that that implies) isolated themselves as such in the region/state, etc., doing a poor job in attracting a broader geographical interest within the state. With Buffalo primarily being a pro town (the Bulls have only been D1 for a very short time) SU could've really capalized there with better efforts...etc. etc.

On aside, I do feel that Cantor's vision of community is a positive thing, one which Syracuse can capitalize on in their attempt to expand upon its geographical footprint statewide.

Exactly. We're a private school, with very few alums. We'll always struggle with attendance, even when winning. Need to cast the net further and get the whole state to support the team. Even with the basketball team--I don't feel like we see much non-alum support outside of Syracuse. Maybe we should just change the name of the university. ;) Syracuse is in the middle of the state--perfect for representing the state.

I don't know exactly what Cantor is doing for community (haven't been up there in years), but it's a great idea and I hope it's working.

I think we're at about the right level for NYC advertising. I meant more like billboards in Binghampton, Rochester, Buffalo, and Albany. And at the borders for 86, 81, 90, 87, etc. That can't be too expensive, can it?

This goes beyond SU. More like a lack of interest in college football in the NE. Don't know why that is, but it's a problem. We should also be marketing ACC country. The ACC, in general, needs to start doing whatever the SEC did (besides winning) to get everyone down there so fanatical.

5) Pitt. They've pulled a few players from WNY and have been 1a for a lot of PA guys. New coach starts off with a bad loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom