Hmmmm...,so this is interesting... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hmmmm...,so this is interesting...

you've moved with us before ...

Welcome to the sixth and final home for Syracusefan.com. We'll be tinkering with the look and feel over the next week or two. Suggestions are welcome.
His book will sell a lot more copies if its released after win 1k.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Let's face it--the ending is rapidly approach for JB's tenure. I honestly can't see him coaching more than 3 years; if he sticks around that long, he puts himself in the vicinity of 1000 wins.

Regardless, at this point anything between 1 - 3 years is a valid, legitimate guess.

JB told a local reporter that he's working on a book with an SI reporter. Thamel?

Anyhoo, if true...I would think the end is near. Siting head coaches don't do books and book tours. Especially ours...

Don't both Pitino and Coach K have multiple books?

I really think this upcoming year will be his last. He is overseeing the transition into the ACC. He also restocked the talent on the team with basically 6 new guys coming in.

This whole greatest generation of coaches is nearing its end. JB, Calhoun, K, Pitino, Gary Williams with Roy and Cal and Izzo getting up there too.

As a tennis fan you get excited when a new potentially great player first breaks through with a long run in a Slam. Then you take them for granted at their peak. At the end of their careers you pull so hard for them to have just one more great run.

As college basketball fans, we are fortunate to live in this age of giants. The next generation of great coaches appears to be quite sanitary and boring.

Lots of icons on that list [and I can think of a few others you didn't mention]. Elite group, no matter how you slice it.

There will always be great coaches, but I don't think we'll ever see an era with coaches of that magnitude again--coaches who are synonymous with the schools they represent. Sports have changed a lot, and coaches don't stay put at one institution like they used to. They also aren't given as much rope to succeed--if they don't produce instantaneously, they are at risk for being quickly replaced.

Supposedly he told McCullough that he will be here to coach him in '14-'15. That team will be loaded and give JB a good chance to make one final run at a NC. I see him coaching the first 2 seasons in the ACC and then turning it over to Hop after the 2015 NCAAT.

Supposedly he told McCullough that he will be here to coach him in '14-'15. That team will be loaded and give JB a good chance to make one final run at a NC. I see him coaching the first 2 seasons in the ACC and then turning it over to Hop after the 2015 NCAAT.

Just playing with that scenario a bit--let's just say that we have two years that are comparable to how we've been playing the last five years. Devil's advocate, let's just say that we get to 30 wins each year [nice round number]. That puts JB tantalizingly close to 1000 [without checking, I think he's at 920 right now].

I know JB doesn't focus on stats or worry about legacy / fanfare, but that might be enough to pull him in for another year. Then again, with JB--who knows? Nothing would surprise me at this point. And he's earned the right to go whenever he wants, in the manner of his choosing.

Just playing with that scenario a bit--let's just say that we have two years that are comparable to how we've been playing the last five years. Devil's advocate, let's just say that we get to 30 wins each year [nice round number]. That puts JB tantalizingly close to 1000 [without checking, I think he's at 920 right now].

I know JB doesn't focus on stats or worry about legacy / fanfare, but that might be enough to pull him in for another year. Then again, with JB--who knows? Nothing would surprise me at this point. And he's earned the right to go whenever he wants, in the manner of his choosing.

I agree, there is quite a lure for a few more seasons. Next year he has already said he is in, and that would be the first ACC year. The year after that it seems like a ridiculously loaded lineup, where it would be hard to walk away. And then after that comes the lure of 1000. It doesn't take thinking about it for long to realize that is a significant milestone.

Let's face it--the ending is rapidly approach for JB's tenure. I honestly can't see him coaching more than 3 years; if he sticks around that long, he puts himself in the vicinity of 1000 wins.

Regardless, at this point anything between 1 - 3 years is a valid, legitimate guess.
I just can't see him quitting before hitting 1000 wins. It's just such a nice round number that would cement the legacy, because for a long time it will be him and his buddy K with over 1000 wins, and all those coaches at 800+ that seemed like such unattainable legends are in the rear view.

Lots of icons on that list [and I can think of a few others you didn't mention]. Elite group, no matter how you slice it.

There will always be great coaches, but I don't think we'll ever see an era with coaches of that magnitude again--coaches who are synonymous with the schools they represent. Sports have changed a lot, and coaches don't stay put at one institution like they used to. They also aren't given as much rope to succeed--if they don't produce instantaneously, they are at risk for being quickly replaced.

Well said. There are a ton of coaches I left off that list. And for personality really, you can go back to Huggins, Rollie, Tark, Thompson, Louie, Lefty, Dean Smith, Knight, Eddie Sutton, Jimmy V - for all their many faults, they all had personality and brought something to the game that I don't expect to see from Dixon, Howland, Smart, Donovan, Stevens, Matta or any of the younger coaches out there.

Buzz has potential, but the rest seem either crazy (Mike Rice, Frank Martin) or just boring (Stevens).

Well said. There are a ton of coaches I left off that list. And for personality really, you can go back to Huggins, Rollie, Tark, Thompson, Louie, Lefty, Dean Smith, Knight, Eddie Sutton, Jimmy V - for all their many faults, they all had personality and brought something to the game that I don't expect to see from Dixon, Howland, Smart, Donovan, Stevens, Matta or any of the younger coaches out there.

Buzz has potential, but the rest seem either crazy (Mike Rice, Frank Martin) or just boring (Stevens).
Shaka's got style. Enfield's got style.

I just can't see him quitting before hitting 1000 wins. It's just such a nice round number that would cement the legacy, because for a long time it will be him and his buddy K with over 1000 wins, and all those coaches at 800+ that seemed like such unattainable legends are in the rear view.
yep . . . people have to remember how competitive JB is . . . hard to see him going head to head with his good friend Mickey Krzyzewski for two years, getting all the hype for the 'nearly 2000 combined victories' every time they face off, then walking away with K at 1000 and JB less than a season's worth of wins from joining him.

IMHO, if he is at ~975 after two years and has a strong returning cast, he will coach a third and final season.

yep . . . people have to remember how competitive JB is . . . hard to see him going head to head with his good friend Mickey Krzyzewski for two years, getting all the hype for the 'nearly 2000 combined victories' every time they face off, then walking away with K at 1000 and JB less than a season's worth of wins from joining him.

IMHO, if he is at ~975 after two years and has a strong returning cast, he will coach a third and final season.
JB has never been about the numbers; they've just snuck up on him over time. I would be surprised if 1000 wins means a damn thing to him. I think he'll just walk away when it feels right to him.

the next generation of headline coaches might very well be dominated by 4 former Big East guards: Billy D, Sean Miller, Mike Hopkins and Kevin Ollie. I'm sure there will be others in the coming years, but of those four, Donovan and Miller are already well established (and Donovan has the best shot of reaching 1000 wins, IMO) while Ollie and Hopkins are walking into well established programs with a solid foundation beneath them (I am not one of those who is shoveling dirt on UConn's grave)

JB has never been about the numbers; they've just snuck up on him over time. I would be surprised if 1000 wins means a damn thing to him. I think he'll just walk away when it feels right to him.

I liked both of these conflicting posts, because both are in play and only JB knows what he's thinking deep down.
The thought, at the very least, must have crossed his mind.

I think he tries hard to not show publicly his care for numbers. But I think he knows all about them. When asked he comes off very knowledgeable about the statistics of basketball. He knows who leads in wins. He knew his records against the good coaches. On that issue he let it get under his skin and you could see him quickly recite personal numbers that he knew. I think he stewed for years not having the NC, kept saying it didn't matter, when it did. He took 900 as an honor, 1000 would be at another level, a true distinction with probably only one other coach for a very long time.

I think if SU averages close to 30 per the next two years the 1000 thing would be a huge factor. It would be for me.

I think he tries hard to not show publicly his care for numbers. But I think he knows all about them. When asked he comes off very knowledgeable about the statistics of basketball. He knows who leads in wins. He knew his records against the good coaches. On that issue he let it get under his skin and you could see him quickly recite personal numbers that he knew. I think he stewed for years not having the NC, kept saying it didn't matter, when it did. He took 900 as an honor, 1000 would be at another level, a true distinction with probably only one other coach for a very long time.

I think if SU averages close to 30 per the next two years the 1000 thing would be a huge factor. It would be for me.
JB is certainly one of the premier students of the game, and I agree that winning the NC meant a lot to him. I just don't think the counting stats like wins are what drives him to continue.

If it was another coach, or if they were both in different conferences and weren't going to face each other 1 to 3 times per year, the number alone might not motivate him. it's the fact that he is now in direct, inescapable competition with Coach K. The two are very good friends, and that would be enough to motivate JB to keeping in the race to 1000

JB is certainly one of the premier students of the game, and I agree that winning the NC meant a lot to him. I just don't think the counting stats like wins are what drives him to continue.
Would it factor in for you? Say two seasons from now, sitting at 978 wins. Looks like a lock for 1000 with one more season. Don't you think that would have to be a big factor for just about anyone?

I know it would be a big factor for me. I think it would influence JB.

Now to continue the possibilities, that scenario might even have JB do the unusual and announce his retirement at the beginning of the season.

He told McCullough he had 2 more years so I agree with 14-15 being his last year.

Absolutely a lock that he will be here for McCullough. That dude and the roster at that point is going to offer us a sensational opportunity for another championship.

If it was another coach, or if they were both in different conferences and weren't going to face each other 1 to 3 times per year, the number alone might not motivate him. it's the fact that he is now in direct, inescapable competition with Coach K. The two are very good friends, and that would be enough to motivate JB to keeping in the race to 1000
I view it differently, it would be the number that would motivate me and not any competition with Coach K. I think JB may have to concede most number competitions with Coach K. It would actually link the two, not seperate them.

1000 stands out to me. The 900 stuff was just part of numbers that put things in order. The order will change in the future. 1000 will be an exclusive club. 1000 is a milestone. Anyone who knows anything about college coach records would know the coaches that have at least 1000 wins. It will be Coach K and JB, that's it. It will be like that for decades (probably as long as JB is alive).

A Mt Rushmore of college coaches would be hard pressed not to include a 1000 win coach. It's not just a statistic, it's a huge statistic. It will be a newly created measure that will be significant for generations.

You guys all forget Bill Selk. He's 50 years old and has 507 wins -- at a school that routinely puts up 25-35 wins a year. Twenty more years with 25 wins per year at Kansas ... would put him at 1007. I think he has the best chance among the younger guys of hitting 1000.

You guys all forget Bill Selk. He's 50 years old and has 507 wins -- at a school that routinely puts up 25-35 wins a year. Twenty more years with 25 wins per year at Kansas ... would put him at 1007.
That really puts it in perspective on how great JAB's career has been.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

You guys all forget Bill Selk. He's 50 years old and has 507 wins -- at a school that routinely puts up 25-35 wins a year. Twenty more years with 25 wins per year at Kansas ... would put him at 1007. I think he has the best chance among the younger guys of hitting 1000.
For me its not so much forgetting about contenders like Self as it is thinking how long it will be before anyone else would hit it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom