Hobart Gameday... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Hobart Gameday...

this is a tough crowd.
curry was 4 of 9 and he's getting roasted for shooting.
offense put up 18 goals.
transition's back?
timeout above the cage allowed them to end it, tho the faceoff win largely did. phaup did well with all the violations.

needed win and they got it. a lot to work on for the orange.

My only point about Curry was that he always go high and sure that looks great when he’s hitting them but if he went low every now and then I bet his numbers would be even better.

Win was nice but you are correct this team has plenty to work on.

I agree I really like the Rosa/Aviles duo but like you said just need more consistency

Yup, can pretty much say that about any unit right now, inconsistencies and turnovers are plaguing everyone. O did a better job of getting on track but the turnovers are out of control, penalties are absurd and defensively were a disaster.

My only point about Curry was that he always go high and sure that looks great when he’s hitting them but if he went low every now and then I bet his numbers would be even better.

Win was nice but you are correct this team has plenty to work on.
goalies made 1 save on him all day? he did bounce the last one. ;)

Solid atmosphere in the dome tonight, but the cuse crowd never really got rocking as Hobart just kept hanging around. Hobart has a very solid offense but team d is still the big concern for cuse. Some goals for Hobart were tip your cap type plays, but quite a few were “how the hell is that guy open?”

And you have to ask yourself if they played zone from the first minute would Hobart have won? There were some encouraging moments against the zone but a lot of lazy passing around the perimeter and general stagnation. Do they know you can still dodge against a zone? You can still set screens? Some of the shots we had were solid looks so I’m not totally discouraged. But it will definitely be on the table against Hopkins.

Overall a solid bounce back for the O. I liked our play in transition as well! Phaup once again MVP. Don’t take him for granted.

goalies made 1 save on him all day? he did bounce the last one. ;)

That's fair. He was mostly really good today I was more focusing overall to games like Maryland and UVA where he continues to rip the ball high even on days when he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

There was a lot of good today, yet there's still work to be done. 18 goals on offense was good, just didn't like the distribution, but a win is a win. Some areas that can use some attention: lacrosse IQ, overall ball movement/passing and just overall defense; especially on man-down. A couple of the turnovers had me ready to jump on to the field, so I had to duct tape myself to the bleacher ... yikes, unforced turnovers are killing me. Yes, I'm patient, really.

From the desk of Kyle Fetterly (on the radio after the game)..

We seem to be passing up a lot of good shots looking for the perfect shot.

Hes right, saw at least 3 or 4 where they had a great look but kept passing it along.

Oops - a little late, but final stats:

1646616476979.png

Lots of really nice hustle plays, Rosa and Aviles stood out of course. Probably the best game we’ve seen from Aviles despite that last goal he gave up. Just a ton a grit and determination for that ground ball and goal. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. I also thought Rice was really solid.

Overall defense was very shaky. Lots of Hobart skip passes seemed to fly through multiple SU sticks before finding their way to the door step. That just can’t happen. Caccamo looked exposed today. Lots of catchup for him to play but he has to be better.

I actually thought Thompson looked better than Gavin and thought they cleared better with him too. Neither covered them selves in glory but they didn’t get a ton of help.

Really nice games by Dordevic and Curry but the zone offense is a huge problem. Multiple times they didn’t even get a shot off. Things seemed better when they put Cordes and Tenaglia in but man that was rough. Tipped passes galore. Very frustrating to watch and very confused as to why Hobart didn’t try it earlier.

Lots of work to do but a win is better that a loss any day.

Lots of really nice hustle plays, Rosa and Aviles stood out of course. Probably the best game we’ve seen from Aviles despite that last goal he gave up. Just a ton a grit and determination for that ground ball and goal. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. I also thought Rice was really solid.

Overall defense was very shaky. Lots of Hobart skip passes seemed to fly through multiple SU sticks before finding their way to the door step. That just can’t happen. Caccamo looked exposed today. Lots of catchup for him to play but he has to be better.

I actually thought Thompson looked better than Gavin and thought they cleared better with him too. Neither covered them selves in glory but they didn’t get a ton of help.

Really nice games by Dordevic and Curry but the zone offense is a huge problem. Multiple times they didn’t even get a shot off. Things seemed better when they put Cordes and Tenaglia in but man that was rough. Tipped passes galore. Very frustrating to watch and very confused as to why Hobart didn’t try it earlier.

Agreed, think Gavin is the better stopper right now but Thompson the better outleter. Neither was Galloway out there though so tough call. I like Gavin slightly better, think he has the higher ceiling but he's struggled to.

On your last point thought the Hobart staff did a nice job offensively but was mystifying bad defensively. They left/slid from Dordevic a few times for great looks when they didn't have to. They also let Curry dodge from the wing closer in then he had been creating some great looks and they had nobody who could remotely stay with him. No idea why they waited till the late 3rd to try a zone, SU literally turned the ball over over the first 4 or 5 possessions. The 1st line is a disaster against the zone, we finally put Cordes in late which opened things up but if your a Hobart fan you gotta be livid they waited that long.

Also not sure why Raymond didn't throw multiple fogos at Phaup after he had 2 violations each half but was still handling Shea for the most part. At worst he would have gotten another violation or 2.

Gotta feel somewhat bad for Hobart fans, best chance in almost a decade for them to get a win against a clearly below normal SU team and they couldn't get over the hump. Probably their beat chance at a win for the foreseeable future

Last edited:
Agreed, think Gavin is the better stopper right now but Thompson the better outleter. Neither was Galloway out there though so tough call. I like Gavin slightly better, think he has the higher ceiling but he's struggled to.
The two of them are reasons to recruit another goalie.

The two of them are reasons to recruit another goalie.
I'm finding it really hard to evaluate the 2 goalies so far. Let's be honest - the defense last year and this year is the worst Cuse has had maybe ever. Porter had the chance to establish himself before the 2021 season so we knew what he could do with a competent D. Under Desko, goalies were rarely pulled. Gavin and Thompson are still rookies and they must be feeling a lot of pressure with Gait playing Dr. Hook. About all I can say is that they haven't looked bad and they haven't looked great. I would imagine they will be sharing the job for the rest of the season given the remaining schedule. McCool will likely be given every opportunity to win the starting job next year and Gait may go to the transfer portal as well.

After watching some of the replay I feel a lot better about Thompsons play in goal. If you are sitting near one goal sometimes it's hard to tell if the goalie on the other end should have had a stop or not. A few that I thought Thompson should have had look more understandable in the replay, and he made a lot of nice stops as well. Those nice long range outlets were perfect.

On your last point thought the Hobart staff did a nice job offensively but was mystifying bad defensively. They left/slid from Dordevic a few times for great looks when they didn't have to. They also let Curry dodge from the wing closer in then he had been creating some great looks and they had nobody who could remotely stay with him. No idea why they waited till the late 3rd to try a zone, SU literally turned the ball over over the first 4 or 5 possessions. The 1st line is a disaster against the zone, we finally put Cordes in late which opened things up but if your a Hobart fan you gotta be livid they waited that long.

Also not sure why Raymond didn't throw multiple fogos at Phaup after he had 2 violations each half but was still handling Shea for the most part. At worst he would have gotten another violation or 2.

Gotta feel somewhat bad for Hobart fans, best chance in almost a decade for them to get a win against a clearly below normal SU team and they couldn't get over the hump. Probably their beat chance at a win for the foreseeable future

Yes, I was really baffled as to why they didn't go zone earlier. My one theory as to why they didn't, was they were trying to "rope a dope" 'Cuse, worried that if they went zone too early that would get figured out, and they knew they couldn't matchup one v one and they wouldn't have anything to fall back on. If they hung close till the fourth they could spring the trap, which almost worked. In hindsight who knows how long it would have taken the Orange to figure it out.

After watching some of the replay I feel a lot better about Thompsons play in goal. If you are sitting near one goal sometimes it's hard to tell if the goalie on the other end should have had a stop or not. A few that I thought Thompson should have had look more understandable in the replay, and he made a lot of nice stops as well. Those nice long range outlets were perfect.

Agree with this - I thought Thompson bailed out his defensemen a number of times. He did seem to fade as the game went on, and I thought the same thing against Army. Not sure if it's mental, but when comparing the two, I think Thompson passes the eye test. Very quick reflexes, and the outlet passes are very impressive - he hit teammates in stride to start fast breaks and also was able to find attackmen deep down the field when everything else broke down around him. I would give him the start against Hopkins.

Yes, I was really baffled as to why they didn't go zone earlier. My one theory as to why they didn't, was they were trying to "rope a dope" 'Cuse, worried that if they went zone too early that would get figured out, and they knew they couldn't matchup one v one and they wouldn't have anything to fall back on. If they hung close till the fourth they could spring the trap, which almost worked. In hindsight who knows how long it would have taken the Orange to figure it out.

Agree with this - I thought Thompson bailed out his defensemen a number of times. He did seem to fade as the game went on, and I thought the same thing against Army. Not sure if it's mental, but when comparing the two, I think Thompson passes the eye test. Very quick reflexes, and the outlet passes are very impressive - he hit teammates in stride to start fast breaks and also was able to find attackmen deep down the field when everything else broke down around him. I would give him the start against Hopkins.
Its tough since Gavin did have a very impressive stretch in goal against MD. Thought he was solid against UVA too. It's been said a million times before, but the constant goalie switching is never a good thing. Almost always better to roll with someone for the whole game. Despite that horrible clear, I do not think Gavin deserved to sit against Army, and I don't think Thompson did enough wrong to sit against Hobart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom