Hofstra Pauses Team Activities | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Hofstra Pauses Team Activities

Duke University officials have mandated that "students in university housing must remain in their rooms ... at all times except for essential activities, and students living off campus are not allowed on campus except for coronavirus testing, to seek medical care at the student health center and to pick up food." The restrictions are reportedly in place until at least the morning of March 21.

I wonder how that impacts our game at Duke on March 25?

I think they should play Lehigh on Saturday if possible. Syracuse has played 4 games and there are issues that need to be worked out i.e. off ball defense, 2nd midfield, second fogo etc. Duke has played 8 games already and appears to have figured out who they are and how they want play. That comes with game experience not practice. There's a reason why Desko scheduled a game for this weekend and 5 days before playing Duke.
yeah. are we sure vermont, sb, utah and maybe? albany wins are gonna do it with however many acc wins?
and desko "short week" pressers aside, 5 days is plenty for div 1 lacrosse teams. anybody that says otherwise just doesn't know. imo.

yeah. are we sure vermont, sb, utah and maybe? albany wins are gonna do it with however many acc wins?
and desko "short week" pressers aside, 5 days is plenty for div 1 lacrosse teams. anybody that says otherwise just doesn't know. imo.

I would think so, The B10 has no OOC period and ND is only playing cupcakes. Outside of High Point and to a lesser extent Denver no one is exactly playing a murders row in the OOC. Duke and UNC both played Denver and then a bunch of cupcakes with some mid level teams sprinkled in. UVA did play Loyola and Army but obviously the Army game was by chance due to a covid cancelation. Army Vermont Albany SB and rescheduling Hofstra is just as good as any other ACC team.

I would think so, The B10 has no OOC period and ND is only playing cupcakes. Outside of High Point and to a lesser extent Denver no one is exactly playing a murders row in the OOC. Duke and UNC both played Denver and then a bunch of cupcakes with some mid level teams sprinkled in. UVA did play Loyola and Army but obviously the Army game was by chance due to a covid cancelation. Army Vermont Albany SB and rescheduling Hofstra is just as good as any other ACC team.
i was talking about wins. duke, unc and uva beat those teams. how will that play out if cuse finishes with 2 or 3 acc wins and a 6 and 5 record?
and the committee chair already went on record saying they may straight toss rpi and ways they made selections before. putting the b1g back in line to grab a couple at larges. throw in even just one patriot league team and the bubble is gonna get really tight quickly for a team or 2 in the acc. if you have the chance to play a lehigh knowing what you know now, you play them. imo.

2 tuesday games, a one week break prior to their final 2. given squeezing in games prior, going to guess cuse is off the board.
with no announcement yet on this weekend, if it doesn't come very soon i'd imagine syracuse takes the weekend off.

Who knows - maybe taking the weekend off isn't the worst thing - can avoid injuries, work on cardio and speed drills (all ACC games will be elite speed and physical war), focus on defense strategies and execution etc. and finalize 2nd middie line players. Oh...and work on getting Hiltz the ball as much as possible - I want Cuse to win and Hiltz to beat O'Neill for rookie of the year :cool:

Aside from game experience, missed opportunity for a win. With daunting schedule ahead, where would we be seeded with a 7-4 record?

i was talking about wins. duke, unc and uva beat those teams. how will that play out if cuse finishes with 2 or 3 acc wins and a 6 and 5 record?
and the committee chair already went on record saying they may straight toss rpi and ways they made selections before. putting the b1g back in line to grab a couple at larges. throw in even just one patriot league team and the bubble is gonna get really tight quickly for a team or 2 in the acc. if you have the chance to play a lehigh knowing what you know now, you play them. imo.

Well they beat those teams because they have played a lot more games, in Duke and UNC's case twice as many as SU and in Duke's case their OOC schedule is over. SU has at least 2 more OOC games and probably 3 in all likelihood. I'd have to see SU's actual schedule play out before I could determine how tenable our tourney chances are. I also would need to see what happens with Army, Vermont and Albany. I am also not sure just piling up wins is going to do much, I mean how much credit is UNC going to get for blowing out High Point twice and Mercer or ND for playing essentially no one in the OOC (Cle St Bellarmine etc)

With the IVY out that is at least 1 additional at large bid that should be available and maybe even 2. The B10 is not overly strong, its essentially Maryland and to a lesser extent Rutty and then a lot of mediocrity. The B10 at best is getting 3 bids and even that's sketchy as Hop OSU and PSU will likely trade losses likely bringing each other down.

I don't see the need for SU to have to play Lehigh there OOC is surely near the top of the ACC and we still have the entire ACC schedule to go minus the one UVA game they won obviously.

Well they beat those teams because they have played a lot more games, in Duke and UNC's case twice as many as SU and in Duke's case their OOC schedule is over. SU has at least 2 more OOC games and probably 3 in all likelihood. I'd have to see SU's actual schedule play out before I could determine how tenable our tourney chances are. I also would need to see what happens with Army, Vermont and Albany. I am also not sure just piling up wins is going to do much, I mean how much credit is UNC going to get for blowing out High Point twice and Mercer or ND for playing essentially no one in the OOC (Cle St Bellarmine etc)

With the IVY out that is at least 1 additional at large bid that should be available and maybe even 2. The B10 is not overly strong, its essentially Maryland and to a lesser extent Rutty and then a lot of mediocrity. The B10 at best is getting 3 bids and even that's sketchy as Hop OSU and PSU will likely trade losses likely bringing each other down.

I don't see the need for SU to have to play Lehigh there OOC is surely near the top of the ACC and we still have the entire ACC schedule to go minus the one UVA game they won obviously.
to be more clear as i maybe haven't been... getting one signature or semi-signature ooc win is preferable than none. 2 better than 1. duke and unc vs denver. plus maybe high point or richmond for each. uva army and maybe loyola. syracuse's collection at this moment looks like they have a real chance won't equate to those.
which is why looking at a lehigh makes sense. we'll disagree -- they "look" like all upside and not much downside. losing to strong teams doesn't ding you. and would make up for the opportunity missed with army.
the hand they have now is the opportunity this weekend. if it goes begging, it's of course possible something gets done but my bet would be they don't find/schedule another strong opponent (or maybe any opponent) the rest of the year.
i'll be shocked if patriot doesn't get an at large, and depending on how things fall a second might be more than possible. the big east will be in contention for one. nc$$ committee chair just opened the door for the b1g.
once the acc gets done beating each other up, an ooc win or 2 against a quality opponent may matter a lot in riding one versus another.
this may have a 10-25% chance of playing out, but it's a % that could be reduced dramatically in their case with a win vs. lehigh. then 1 or 2 more acc wins and they'd be golden. we'll see.

Cuse will play Holy Cross this weekend.
1615921784856.png

to be more clear as i maybe haven't been... getting one signature or semi-signature ooc win is preferable than none. 2 better than 1. duke and unc vs denver. plus maybe high point or richmond for each. uva army and maybe loyola. syracuse's collection at this moment looks like they have a real chance won't equate to those.
which is why looking at a lehigh makes sense. we'll disagree -- they "look" like all upside and not much downside. losing to strong teams doesn't ding you. and would make up for the opportunity missed with army.
the hand they have now is the opportunity this weekend. if it goes begging, it's of course possible something gets done but my bet would be they don't find/schedule another strong opponent (or maybe any opponent) the rest of the year.
i'll be shocked if patriot doesn't get an at large, and depending on how things fall a second might be more than possible. the big east will be in contention for one. nc$$ committee chair just opened the door for the b1g.
once the acc gets done beating each other up, an ooc win or 2 against a quality opponent may matter a lot in riding one versus another.
this may have a 10-25% chance of playing out, but it's a % that could be reduced dramatically in their case with a win vs. lehigh. then 1 or 2 more acc wins and they'd be golden. we'll see.

While I agree a signature OOC win is nice I am not sure any ACC team will really have that. If Denver loses to G-town and or doesn't win the BE is that a quality win? If were counting high point and or Richmond then Vermont has to be considered a high quality win or even Stony Brook, ditto for Albany if SU beats them.

While in normal circumstances I agree losing to good teams doesn't really ding you, SU potentially losing this Sat doesn't help them at all. Puts them 3-2 going into Duke and potentially looking at .500 if they lose to Duke which is a whole other issue then. To me the correct play here is get a lower level team ala Holy Cross which they did and then re-schedule Hofstra who is a top 25 team for later in the season or even Hobart who is begging SU for a game. A potential win versus Lehigh would have been great but SU has more then enough opportunities coming up for high quality wins ie Duke UNC, ND X2, UVA rematch and Albany.

While I agree a signature OOC win is nice I am not sure any ACC team will really have that. If Denver loses to G-town and or doesn't win the BE is that a quality win? If were counting high point and or Richmond then Vermont has to be considered a high quality win or even Stony Brook, ditto for Albany if SU beats them.

While in normal circumstances I agree losing to good teams doesn't really ding you, SU potentially losing this Sat doesn't help them at all. Puts them 3-2 going into Duke and potentially looking at .500 if they lose to Duke which is a whole other issue then. To me the correct play here is get a lower level team ala Holy Cross which they did and then re-schedule Hofstra who is a top 25 team for later in the season or even Hobart who is begging SU for a game. A potential win versus Lehigh would have been great but SU has more then enough opportunities coming up for high quality wins ie Duke UNC, ND X2, UVA rematch and Albany.
denver is up 8-4 @ half.
hofstra wont be rescheduled and hobart lost to liu.

i understand where you're coming from. just don't agree. might be nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom