Hofstra Pauses Team Activities | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hofstra Pauses Team Activities

Cuse may have already booked a game for Thursday.

Understand Carcartera itching for a Lehigh matchup but Cuse AD does the calls and scheduling

Playing Lehigh works only if Thurs dropped and Duke willing to move game back to 3/27-28. Otherwise expect a Thurs game this week.

Agreed, kudos to Quint and others trying to get a Top 10 matchup on the fly but as I pointed out it doesn't really work for SU.

Lol. Is there anyone actually assuming this, College Crosse?

Agreed, kudos to Quint and others trying to get a Top 10 matchup on the fly but as I pointed out it doesn't really work for SU.

Absent the potential Thursday game referenced by ivorytower (which is news), how does playing a Saturday game against Lehigh "not work" with a Thursday game @ Duke? Four days of rest is ample (or three games SB, [Lehigh], Duke in 14 days). It's what they had already been scheduled to play - albeit with a tougher opponent.

Last edited:
CC now is run by Hopkins grads. :D
MD and Hopkins fans. Yuck. The one 100% real example of a team actually acting pampered and scared to play at a certain location was the MD women’s team vs Cuse last year. I am having trouble finding their 25 tweets on that subject.

I don't disagree in theory but the ACC is beyond loaded this year and I am not sure that playing a team like Lehigh (out of the blue) 5 days before playing the prohibitive ACC and D1 favorite is the wisest allocation of our time and resources. If we were playing Binghamton the following Thursday then go for it but Duke @ Duke, I'll take a pass.

In the grand scheme of things, its certainly not ideal. But I don't think it does SU any favors to look like they are ducking someone and this has caught fire on the social medias. We shall see, I'm glad I am not the one who has to figure this out.

It is too bad about Hofsta, I think they were a solid addition the schedule and the timing of the game was good. SU still would have had a game they were favored, but the Pride are certainly not a pushover (see Ryan Tierney). Seeing these other ACC teams play opponents they are clearly better than makes me wonder "what's the point?", and I question if these super teams actually gain anything from those games. Again, Hofstra would have been a good middle ground team.

I think the ideal scenario for Cuse would be to have a game no later than Saturday outdoors against someone other than Lehigh. Would be good to play outdoors before we head to Duke. And to a point raised earlier by Sholokov2 on the Quint thread, a team that has a core of at least 4 or 5 attack and middies.

Lol. Is there anyone actually assuming this, College Crosse?

LOL exactly, I must have missed all those major road games Duke, Carolina and UVA have played so far this year, ND isn't playing anyone with a pulse for their OOC but by all means lets rag on the one major program who plays indoors and can avoid the NE weather.

LOL exactly, I must have missed all those major road games Duke, Carolina and UVA have played so far this year, ND isn't playing anyone with a pulse for their OOC but by all means lets rag on the one major program who plays indoors and can avoid the NE weather.
Something that always gets overlooked when people criticize Cuse for playing at home so much is that these games allow their opponents to also get games in. These February games with Army, Albany and all the others over the years never could have been played on away from the Dome. All those teams got at least one early season game because they were able to play in a domed stadium.

In the grand scheme of things, its certainly not ideal. But I don't think it does SU any favors to look like they are ducking someone and this has caught fire on the social medias. We shall see, I'm glad I am not the one who has to figure this out.

It is too bad about Hofsta, I think they were a solid addition the schedule and the timing of the game was good. SU still would have had a game they were favored, but the Pride are certainly not a pushover (see Ryan Tierney). Seeing these other ACC teams play opponents they are clearly better than makes me wonder "what's the point?", and I question if these super teams actually gain anything from those games. Again, Hofstra would have been a good middle ground team.

I think with any schedule its a give and take. You certainly don't want to play an OOC like ND's where your a gigantic favorite every week but I also think there's something to be said for not forcing your team to run the gauntlet every week. I mean were 4 games into the year and we probably had the one and only game we could actually empty the bench out a bit and give some of these other guys some PT. Hard to get mad at guys for transferring when they see the field once a year. I think Duke and UNC probably over-schedule weaker teams in general especially this year but with no B10 or IVY opponents they lost out on games they probably would have scheduled and Duke always schedules a bunch of generally lesser type teams more so then SU and usually ND. Duke's 2019 schedule had Penn, Denver, Furman, High Point, Richmond, Jax, Loyola, Towson and Utah. Now they play way more OOC games then we do usually but that's definitely a solid mix of cupcakes, mid tier and then Top 10 teams so I can't get on them to much for this year.

As for the ducking thing I think that's a lot of social media talk from people who hope SU gets beat. I mean look Duke is off this weekend why don't they play Lehigh? I understand it makes sense and people would love to see a great game but SU can't make scheduling decisions based on something going viral on social media or because Quint and the crew at College Crosse thing it will be the game of the week.

I do agree on Hofstra, solid team with an excellent player in Tierney and one that could certainly have given us a lot of trouble. I hope we re-schedule that game.

We had Rutgers and Hopkins both scheduled for on the road in 2020 and were alternating home and away. Albany was about to be on the road for the first time, with alternating likely becoming the norm in the future. We had a back and forth going with Navy. We play Cornell every year alternating home and away. Their goal is to get a rise out of someone easily offended online, not to neutrally deal with the truth, a good strategy when looking to make a name for yourself on twitter. I guess I like that they stir the pot and get a good battle going? Thats about it for positives.

Something that always gets overlooked when people criticize Cuse for playing at home so much is that these games allow their opponents to also get games in. These February games with Army, Albany and all the others over the years never could have been played on away from the Dome. All those teams got at least one early season game because they were able to play in a domed stadium.
almost any of those games would be played fine if they have a turf field in february.. some would have sucked because of weather but not all of them.

543892DE-0789-4C63-8342-C17195FC0DB9.jpeg

Wait. I just realized this weekend was always free for Lehigh. It was a planned buy, not a cancelation from their opponent. Any particular reason they are starting the "man seeking opponent" conversation on monday the week of and not sooner? The other thing is that Lehigh is desperate to have another game against a high ranked opponent for the RPI boost, with Army and Loyola being potentially the only quality opponents of the season. Meanwhile we have the opposite problem with the 6 game ACC gauntlet plus Army. No incentive on our end.

Wait. I just realized this weekend was always free for Lehigh. It was a planned buy, not a cancelation from their opponent. Any particular reason they are starting the "man seeking opponent" conversation on monday the week of and not sooner? The other thing is that Lehigh is desperate to have another game against a high ranked opponent for the RPI boost, with Army and Loyola being potentially the only quality opponents of the season. Meanwhile we have the opposite problem with the 6 game ACC gauntlet plus Army. No incentive on our end.

Exactly my point from earlier, this is a no win situation for SU.

Lehigh has been looking for a game this week all season. This isn’t new. I get an email every week regarding which college teams are looking for games on particular dates. Lehigh has been looking to fill this game for at least a couple months.

almost any of those games would be played fine if they have a turf field in february.. some would have sucked because of weather but not all of them.
Maybe. But why was Albany going to host Syracuse last year in late April instead of mid-February? The Dome is convenient for everyone. These teams don’t have to agree to play Syracuse.

I would think ease of knowing the weather.. convenience adds to it.. it might be cheaper to bus to a game from Albany than to pay 50-100 people to work a game likely to bring a small crowd. Also SU doesnt have to travel since teams want to play them.

so you guys want lehigh or nah? carc trying to play matchmaker on twatter.

so you guys want lehigh or nah? carc trying to play matchmaker on twatter.
I think they should play Lehigh on Saturday if possible. Syracuse has played 4 games and there are issues that need to be worked out i.e. off ball defense, 2nd midfield, second fogo etc. Duke has played 8 games already and appears to have figured out who they are and how they want play. That comes with game experience not practice. There's a reason why Desko scheduled a game for this weekend and 5 days before playing Duke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom