Holy Cross names JL Reppert new head coach | Syracusefan.com

Holy Cross names JL Reppert new head coach

"As a result of the unusual timing of Holy Cross’s opening, Reppert’s departure creates an appealing assistant coach opening at Maryland just weeks before the season is set to start, potentially tipping off a domino effect of assistant coach movement with practice underway at programs across the country."

There are a number of former Terps in the coaching ranks. Jake Bernhardt is offensive coordinator at Vermont and seems to make the most sense, but timing is rough.

Bernhardt is a potential option, as is Michael Phipps (Georgetown) and Mike Chanenchuk (Stony Brook) if Maryland narrows their list down to alumni. Agree that it is tough timing.

John Haus at Penn State as well, although the optics of a coordinator going from one Big Ten team to another (his alma mater) days before the season gets underway wouldn't be great. The intel Haus could provide Tillman on Penn State would be quite the advantage in terms of winning the conference title. Not saying it won't happen, but for that reason maybe it's less likely than Phipps, Berhardt, or Chanenchuk.

I wasn't a fan of Benson when he played, and then he was on of Pietramala's henchmen, so I am not real enthusiastic about this hire.

I wasn't a fan of Benson when he played, and then he was on of Pietramala's henchmen, so I am not real enthusiastic about this hire.
This is most curious. I have to believe that the timing of Reppert's departure has a lot to do with this choice. It's late in the game to pick up a current assistant somewhere without burning some bridges.

This is most curious. I have to believe that the timing of Reppert's departure has a lot to do with this choice. It's late in the game to pick up a current assistant somewhere without burning some bridges.

With the way Tillman recruits, I'd be surprised if he was worried about burning bridges. While coaching at Maryland is a step up for a lot of guys, it would still be a lateral move for most, and there is some risk in that. Kind of crazy for Benson to go from coaching high school lacrosse in Atlanta to a top 5 team in the country. Should be interesting to watch unfold.

With the way Tillman recruits, I'd be surprised if he was worried about burning bridges. While coaching at Maryland is a step up for a lot of guys, it would still be a lateral move for most, and there is some risk in that. Kind of crazy for Benson to go from coaching high school lacrosse in Atlanta to a top 5 team in the country. Should be interesting to watch unfold.
Benson was coaching the offense at Hopkins last spring, so the crazier part is going from Hopkins to Maryland - and then without a significant stop in between.

Benson was coaching the offense at Hopkins last spring, so the crazier part is going from Hopkins to Maryland - and then without a significant stop in between.

True! I get the sense there is bad feelings from former Blue Jays who were loyal to Petro, Dwan and Benson. Thought this tweet from Tinney was interesting.

Hopkins under Benson seemed to run a good amount of set plays. Get the sense that is less of the case for the MD offense historically so I wonder if they allow him to run things like he used to at hop, or Tillman vetoes a few techniques. In our last game against Hopkins I saw one play where Kennedy was supposed to be hot on a slide but at the moment he was supposed to go Cole Williams flopped on the ground, which distracted Kennedy, and they scored right away. Dumbest thing ever but it actually seemed to work. Hope you're ready for some shenanigans like that Zach80!

Hopkins under Benson seemed to run a good amount of set plays. Get the sense that is less of the case for the MD offense historically so I wonder if they allow him to run things like he used to at hop, or Tillman vetoes a few techniques. In our last game against Hopkins I saw one play where Kennedy was supposed to be hot on a slide but at the moment he was supposed to go Cole Williams flopped on the ground, which distracted Kennedy, and they scored right away. Dumbest thing ever but it actually seemed to work. Hope you're ready for some shenanigans like that Zach80!
Correction he was supposed to be the second slide. Look at 4:00 in this video. Hilarious!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom