Holy smokes, somebody's got some 'splaining to do. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Holy smokes, somebody's got some 'splaining to do.

Maybe, maybe not...slow is slow. What would it get him in life though? He ain't gonna get paid for this.
First of all he's not that slow, he's gotten a lot faster. And anyways if you can't tackle him and he gets the extra yards what's the difference? He loves football and just wants to play. If you think he can't play you don't have a clue.

Maybe, maybe not...slow is slow. What would it get him in life though? He ain't gonna get paid for this.

Well going to an FCS would give him at least a year of grad school for free. One free degree is good, two free degrees is better.

Somebody certain does have some explaining to do...

...that Oklahoma fan who posted that long analysis of how awesome Drew Allen is and how he was a victim of circumstance at OU. Man, that dude could not have been more wrong. I fell hard for that post and have been so disappointed in Allen. I have no doubt Allen is a great practice QB, as he has the arm and looks the part, but he just does not process information quickly. Hunt is clearly better at thinking and making quick decisions and adjustments.

First of all he's not that slow, he's gotten a lot faster. And anyways if you can't tackle him and he gets the extra yards what's the difference? He loves football and just wants to play. If you think he can't play you don't have a clue.

Considering where he is on the depth chart at SU I can survive the criticism. Transferring in football isn't an easy pull.

Considering where he is on the depth chart at SU I can survive the criticism. Transferring in football isn't an easy pull.
The offensive system has a lot more to do with where he is on the depth chart. Pro style is what he was recruited for and it was abandoned. Couple that with the rb coach and OC in love with the young speedsters and they've drawn their line for their system and future. There are many factors involved, and it's not purely who will perform better in games right now or get you the first down. I think Hunt has given an example.

Gotta throw this Oklahoma business out the window. Allen is a fail. Hunt does so many things better. Plus he the threat of his legs. Hunt FTW!

I think a much better question is: why didn't Hunt separate himself in preseason camp if he's capable of playing like this? Because if he performed at this level, Allen never would have seen the field.

But by all accounts, Hunt didn't play up to the level we've seen him show in games. Example--the Ft. Drum scrimmage, where it sounded like most of his completions were check-down passes?

I think a much better question is: why didn't Hunt separate himself in preseason camp if he's capable of playing like this? Because if he performed at this level, Allen never would have seen the field.

But by all accounts, Hunt didn't play up to the level we've seen him show in games. Example--the Ft. Drum scrimmage, where it sounded like most of his completions were check-down passes?
All accounts might suck

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

All accounts might suck

So, you're suggesting that Hunt played this well throughout all preseason camp, but got benched anyway for a stiff who lacks a feel for the offense, has questionable touch / decision making, and completely locks onto his first read?

I get your meathead schtick, but I can't believe that Hunt was clearly superior but in spite of that they decided to go in a different direction because they're stubborn or made a promise to Allen.

All accounts might suck

Check down passes may have been the smart play...Allen doesn't do check downs or checks period. I will take a check down pass over a horribly thrown ball into double coverage or an INT. Progressions are part of the game at QB, if you can't do that, you can't play the position as we have seen with Allen.

Check down passes may have been the smart play...Allen doesn't do check downs or checks period. I will take a check down pass over a horribly thrown ball into double coverage or an INT. Progressions are part of the game at QB, if you can't do that, you can't play the position as we have seen with Allen.

May have. Which is why I'd like to see the opinion of someone who saw the Ft. Drum scrimmage to weigh in, instead of talking hypothetically.

I have to think they were marking Allen on a curve because of his unfamiliarity with the offense.

I have to think they were marking Allen on a curve because of his unfamiliarity with the offense.

lol...does the NCAA mark the games on curves, maybe we really won the first one. Even marked on a curve, we still got smoked by NW though.

May have. Which is why I'd like to see the opinion of someone who saw the Ft. Drum scrimmage to weigh in, instead of talking hypothetically.

I didn't go either, would love for 1st hand report.

The thing is Allen still had decent numbers, 8-11 with 1 TD and 0 ints. But we were stuck in neutral the 1st 3 series. Allen's first 5 balls were loss of 4, no gain, and 3 incompletions. When he came back into the game he was 6-6 for a TD. Dig a little deeper and you see that he is collapsing on 3rd down and therefore killing drives. 0-4 on 3rd downs with 2 incompletions, a 4 yard loss and a sack given up. Hunt was 6-6 on 3rd down. Practice is practice but Hunt obviously has a feel for the game that I think Allen is missing. Allen doesn't seem to perform well when the heat is on. Hunt does. I hope Allen gets a a good education, it's time for Hunt.

I look at it as 2 games and 3 drives in a season wasted that didn't need to be. We had our QB here all along.

but I can't believe that Hunt was clearly superior but in spite of that they decided to go in a different direction because they're stubborn or made a promise to Allen.

Why can't you believe they would make a promise to Allen?

So, you're suggesting that Hunt played this well throughout all preseason camp, but got benched anyway for a stiff who lacks a feel for the offense, has questionable touch / decision making, and completely locks onto his first read?

I get your meathead schtick, but I can't believe that Hunt was clearly superior but in spite of that they decided to go in a different direction because they're stubborn or made a promise to Allen.

Of course that's what I'm suggesting.

The only other explanation is that Shafer is a stupid dinosaur who thinks it's 1968 and grades qbs by how far they can throw the ball.

Of course that's what I'm suggesting.

The only other explanation is that Shafer is a stupid dinosaur who thinks it's 1968 and grades qbs by how far they can throw the ball.

No, another explanation is that Hunt didn't perform as well as he had the last five quarters--which is what it sounded like coming out of Fort Drum. Because if you compare what these two are capable of doing on the field, it is a no brainer in favor of Hunt over Allen in terms of playmaking capability.

But if Hunt didn't distinguish himself, then the decision to start Allen makes more sense--tough opponent in a de facto road game, close QB competition goes to the fifth year senior who on paper would be more ready to handle the pressure.

No, another explanation is that Hunt didn't perform as well as he had the last five quarters--which is what it sounded like coming out of Fort Drum. Because if you compare what these two are capable of doing on the field, it is a no brainer in favor of Hunt over Allen in terms of playmaking capability.

But if Hunt didn't distinguish himself, then the decision to start Allen makes more sense--tough opponent in a de facto road game, close QB competition goes to the fifth year senior who on paper would be more ready to handle the pressure.
this "what it sounded like" stuff

where is it coming from?

some of it must come right from shafer to whoever he talks to

i don't think this stuff just magically flips. i think it just comes out of whoever gets the job. allen's the starter, people fall in behind that, well i guess hunt didn't play as well. it's a dumb telephone game with people who don't know anything

this "what it sounded like" stuff

where is it coming from?

some of it must come right from shafer to whoever he talks to

i don't think this stuff just magically flips. i think it just comes out of whoever gets the job. allen's the starter, people fall in behind that, well i guess hunt didn't play as well. it's a dumb telephone game with people who don't know anything

From the newspaper reports about the scrimmage. And from posters who attended and provided their observations.

Sure, there's some reading into it, but don't pretend that there wasn't some analysis of each player's respective performance.

At the end of the day, I think that Hunt not being particularly sharp in preseason is a lot more plausible of an explanation than the prospect that he was lights out in camp like he's been the last five quarters, but the coaches still went with the other guy because they're stubborn.

Whatever--happy he's coming on strong now, because he gives us a chance to win while Allen did not.

From the newspaper reports about the scrimmage. And from posters who attended and provided their observations.

Sure, there's some reading into it, but don't pretend that there wasn't some analysis of each player's respective performance.

At the end of the day, I think that Hunt not being particularly sharp in preseason is a lot more plausible of an explanation than the prospect that he was lights out in camp like he's been the last five quarters, but the coaches still went with the other guy because they're stubborn.

Whatever--happy he's coming on strong now, because he gives us a chance to win while Allen did not.

Two things: I think the fact that the staff wanted (maybe to a fault) to get Allen more snaps/prep work hurt Hunt. And I think mobile QBs always struggle in practice/scrimmages because for the most part they are not allowed to use one of their main weapons. I'm sure a few plays that Hunt made against Wagner would have been whistled dead in a scrimmage/practice.

Two things: I think the fact that the staff wanted (maybe to a fault) to get Allen more snaps/prep work hurt Hunt. And I think mobile QBs always struggle in practice/scrimmages because for the most part they are not allowed to use one of their main weapons. I'm sure a few plays that Hunt made against Wagner would have been whistled dead in a scrimmage/practice.

I also think its a factor which team you're playing with out there. If they were dead set on getting Allen reps to accelerate his learning curve, then its a big step down to be playing with the second team OL [for example], given our personnel. So those type of considerations might have held Hunt back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom