Home and home scheduled with Maryland... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Home and home scheduled with Maryland...

We still get a couple bunnies out of the 4 (this year Wagner and Tulane).
This year's Tulane isn't quite the bunny that you think it is.
I was at the SuperDome two years ago and SU wasn't quite that good at hunting bunnies that day either.

I was at the SuperDome two years ago and SU wasn't quite that good at hunting bunnies that day either.

Tulane is going to improve. New stadium, new coach. If they get the solid second tiered kids from the Gulf Coast the SEC leaves behind and mixes in an occasional local NOLA difference maker they will be a yearly upper division AAC team. I root for Tulane to do well. Syracuse should try to play Tulane 3-4 times a decade.

We shouldn't play them unless they promise to go back to their old uniforms. :mad:

It's crazy that they won't be in the ACC. Just nuts. :crazy:

From my SU preview:

Saturday, 9/21/13 TBA (“to be announced”) vs. TULANEat the Carrier Dome TBA

Tulane, usually one of college football’s “have-nots”, occasionally rise up like those movie zombies to start beating people. They might be on the verge of that again. We played them in the Super Dome two years ago and barely scraped by on a last second field goal, 37-34, sandwiched in between Green Wave defeats to Army, (6-45) and UTEP, 7-43), both of whom are also generally terrible. It was pretty embarrassing. They have a history of giving SU trouble. We kicked a field goal in the mud to beat them 3-0 in 1976, got upset by them in the Dome, 24-26 in 1990 and we needed a last play interception by Tebucky Jones to beat them in 1997.

Last year the Green Wave petered out to a 2-10 record. Senior safety Devon Walker suffered a spinal cord injury and that punched a hole in the team, physically and emotionally. First year coach Curtis Johnson, who had spent six year as receivers coach for the Saints, held the team together while trying to install the Saint’s offense. They lost their first five games by a combined 45-212, then went 2-5 and were only outscored 212-249. They are getting better.

They have a quarterback with a good pedigree, Nick Montana, the son of you-know-who, who transferred in from junior college in time for spring practice. He’ll be throwing to Ryan Grant, who caught 76 passes last year for 1,149 yards. They had basically no rushing attack at all, gaining less than 40 yards a game. But star running back Orleans Darkwa was injured most of the season and he is back. He gained over 900 yards and had double figures in touchdowns his first two years. They have four starters back on the offensive line, so they could be potent.

Unfortunately their defense was awful the whole season. Whatever strength they have is in the secondary where CB Lorenzo Doss was a freshman All-American . An LSU transfer, Chris Davenport, could improve things in the line.

Yards and National Rankings last year:

Rushing 40-223 yards 119th-114th

Passing: 280-260 yards 33rd-95th

Total: 320-483 yards 109th-114th

Scoring: 21-38 points 97th-115th

Turnover Margin: -9

I think many have accepted the proposition that we could be "more like the SEC" in OCC scheduling. That comes AFTER you have won 7 back-to-back national championships. Yes, we all are fairly sure of how they are doing it...forget that...we do know exactly how they are doing it. The NCAA (essentially) allowing AU to BUY the 2010 NC.

Also Alabama gets a mulligan when they lose one game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom