Home and home scheduled with Maryland... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Home and home scheduled with Maryland...

Army, navy or akron please. Schedule it at thier place and get a return trip the following season.

Is it a definite that Louisville will just slide into maryland's slot in the Atlantic division? If so, the divisions have already become out of whack.

The ACC might have to re-think the divisions once Lville comes in, Clemson, FSU and Lville all in the same division is a bit much when you compare it to the Coastal division that has pretty much Miami and Va Tech and Miami hasnt been dominant in a long time.

It might be possible that the Atlantic division has three teams better than the best Coastal division team.

Or perhaps florida atlantic or international since we don't play In florida otherwise. Does gulf coast have a football team? It could be "The hoyas suck" kickoff classic.

also looks like the navy series is off the schedule as navy has posted there 2015 non conference schedule(there scheduled to join aac) and were not on it

and notre dame date in 2016 isn't set yet as nd is booked on 9/3(@ texas) that year

also looks like the navy series is off the schedule as navy has posted there 2015 non conference schedule(there scheduled to join aac) and were not on it
Crap, crap, crap...love the service academy games.

Syracuse never schedules for success like buttgers does. Well continue to trudge through mediocrity until we figure it out.

That's fine. But this isn't the 80s and 90s or even the 2000s. I'm an FSU fan, I know that more than anyone.

However, your team doesn't get magically better over night. You'll almost certainly be underdogs to Maryland. It's not that the Maryland game isn't winnable...it's that it's LOSEABLE. Along with three-four other games you'll be deep underdogs, and several more that will be basically even games. And you've got to cobble together six wins out of that.

You are a long way from having the athletes to compete the way you did then. Those athletes aren't lining up to jump on a 5 or 6 win team because of your strength of schedule.

Your program is rebuilding...it's not rebuilt. It CAN rebuild, but this isn't the way to go about that.

But we've had this discussion in FSU circles around and around, that don't understand why FSU's four out of conference games aren't Nebraska, USC, Texas and UF.

People have a blind spot on this, but it's not debatable rationally. The blueprint is there and it plays out year after year. Again, point out one team since FSU in the 1970s that built into a power program by difficult scheduling on a yearly basis OOC. And I'll give you a bunch that did it by scheduling light until they established themselves, and well after.

We got where we are today (from the GRob disaster) by scheduling tougher OOC games. It's just the way we approach things. We still get a couple bunnies out of the 4 (this year Wagner and Tulane). Our blueprint will likely be one attractive opponent, one big 5 conference middle of the pack team, one lower conference 1A opponent, 1 FCS. Maryland fits the middle of the pack opponent perfectly.

If this scheduling style doesn't get us success, then we're not going to have success. Because we're not changing it. You go all mid major/FCS and you lose this fanbase.

It might be possible that the Atlantic division has three teams better than the best Coastal division team.

Along with it screwing up the ACC Championship game. One division would have the top 2 teams go which from this point of the season be Clemson vs FSU. What will hurt is a 11-1 or even 12-0 Clemson/FSU losing to a 8-4 whatever in the champ game. If Clemson is 11-1 and FSU 11-1 in that game we have respect no matter who wins along with the whole nations attention.

What can I say, I just don't get it. Syracuse already has four games next year they might go in as double digit underdogs. Why the hell would they schedule Maryland, another game they could easily lose? If they don't beat Maryland, they'll be trying to win six out of the other seven games on the schedule just to go to a crappy bowl. More likely they'll be sitting home while Duke or NC State goes bowling because they know how to schedule.

It's been shown time after time that this is not how you build a program and build interest. I just don't get it. Do what works, not what doesn't work.

A couple things to note re SU vs FSU scheduling.

1) We can't buy cupcakes since bigger schools like FSU, etc. can likely pay more and the sacrificial lamb would have less travel costs.
2) FSU will still have a massive crowd turnout and season ticket sales regardless of the opponent. If SU scheduled Idaho, Nevada, and Bethune Cookman the fans simply wouldnt be interested.
3) Geography. Not many lower southern teams willing to travel north for OOC game. Not many smaller northern teams draw much interest. The games I've wanted most as OOC games in the past are now conference games. Unfortunately UVA, VaTech, and Miami are on the other side of the conference thus Maryland is pretty much the best we can do for a longer term series. Possibly schedule , or Umass as our 3rd OOC game but other then that there arent many interesting opponents regionally to choose from.

A couple things to note re SU vs FSU scheduling.

1) We can't buy cupcakes since bigger schools like FSU, etc. can likely pay more and the sacrificial lamb would have less travel costs
2) FSU will still have a massive crowd turnout and season ticket sales regardless of the opponent. If SU scheduled Idaho, Nevada, and Bethune Cookman the fans simply wouldnt be interested.
3) Geography. Not many lower southern teams willing to travel north for OOC game. Not many smaller northern teams draw much interest. The games I've wanted most as OOC games in the past are now conference games. Unfortunately UVA, VaTech, and Miami are on the other side of the conference thus Maryland is pretty much the best we can do for a longer term series. Possibly schedule , or Umass as our 3rd OOC game but other then that there arent many interesting opponents regionally to choose from.

1. This is true. But you could go home and home with SMU or Northern Illinois as easy as you could with Maryland or NW
2. Are they that interested are they in NW and MD? I think, and looking at other schools proves it, winning does more for attendance than opponent. Maybe that's a leap of faith
3. I don't know that I buy this. If you do home and home they'll come. If you pay them they'll come. Especially if you're the A-side. FIU would come if you gave them a return visit, maybe even 2-for-1

You are not going to make a new generation of fans by losing interesting games. People aren't like that today.

We got where we are today (from the GRob disaster) by scheduling tougher OOC games. It's just the way we approach things. We still get a couple bunnies out of the 4 (this year Wagner and Tulane). Our blueprint will likely be one attractive opponent, one big 5 conference middle of the pack team, one lower conference 1A opponent, 1 FCS. Maryland fits the middle of the pack opponent perfectly.

If this scheduling style doesn't get us success, then we're not going to have success. Because we're not changing it. You go all mid major/FCS and you lose this fanbase.

Then I hope Pitt has the sense to schedule correctly and they can get to the next level. This conference needs more out of the Northeast.

Plus Lou SU did something to a Florida school that I'm sure you despise, they beat the hell out of them and forced them to never ever play an OOC game outside of the state of Florida again.

army is free on 8/30...lets go there.

9/6 is your d1aa.

then if they want, the ACC can give us a game or take the week off and get ready for maryland.

Oh Lord

Then I hope Pitt has the sense to schedule correctly and they can get to the next level. This conference needs more out of the Northeast.

There is no correctly as a standard. Every school and their situations are different and one size doesn't fit all. What works for FSU may not necessarily work go SU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think things evolve over time. As fans gradually see that the real meat of our schedule is the conference schedule, and IF we have some success (wins), I think the fans will be okay with a lighter OOC schedule. My guess is this fanbase for football anyway, still thinks like an independent. Every team was weighed on their own merits. Yes, we had a 10 year run with Miami, and VT and WVU in there where it kind of felt like a conference. But that was probably not long enough, and it was compounded by the fact that we played a tough OOC schedule during those years, and won more than our fair share of those top games. So the fans were kind of spoiled.

Get a regular schedule in here with FSU, Clemson, BC, and the occasional ND or Miami or VT, and I think the fans will embrace the entire schedule. Again, if we win. If we're losing, it doesn't matter who you bring in.

But certainly, our schedule approach is going to be different that FSU. That's just the way it is.

1. This is true. But you could go home and home with SMU or Northern Illinois as easy as you could with Maryland or NW
2. Are they that interested are they in NW and MD? I think, and looking at other schools proves it, winning does more for attendance than opponent. Maybe that's a leap of faith
3. I don't know that I buy this. If you do home and home they'll come. If you pay them they'll come. Especially if you're the A-side. FIU would come if you gave them a return visit, maybe even 2-for-1

You are not going to make a new generation of fans by losing interesting games. People aren't like that today.

I mean it's not like we're scheduling these games and planning on losing.

I do see your points which are valid but moreso for a team with a bigger name brand. Schools will line up to get pummeled by FSU because A) they get paid and B) they can tell recruits they play Florida State. Not the same playing field that we're dealing with and I'm sure the idea of fans as fickle as ours are foreign with good reason. You wouldn't believe some of the excuses folks make to not attend games unless it's a marquee matchup.

IF we're winning these games it will help FSU's SOS much more than if we schedule cupcakes and come in with an inflated record. I like who we schedule, I'm just less than impressed in the order we schedule them. Had we opened with Wagner week 1 and Tulsa week 2 we'd have been in a lot better shape v Penn State week 3 or 4. Had we beaten Penn State, this conversation wouldn't even be happening and you'd be more excited we had that W vs a W against SE Conn school of cosmetology.

Good point Lou...SU should schedule SMU. Actually Tulane is a nobrainer. Tulane gets 33% of the students from the NE, we love to travel to NOLA and Tulane is usually an easy win. Tulane is also building a nice little 30k seat stadium on campus.

army is free on 8/30...lets go there.

9/6 is your d1aa.

then if they want, the ACC can give us a game or take the week off and get ready for maryland.

Oh Lord

Your keyboard to the scheduling gods please. We'll have a friggin charter boat from Manhattan to the docks at West Point. I know how to get that done.

I mean it's not like we're scheduling these games and planning on losing.

I do see your points which are valid but moreso for a team with a bigger name brand. Schools will line up to get pummeled by FSU because A) they get paid and B) they can tell recruits they play Florida State. Not the same playing field that we're dealing with and I'm sure the idea of fans as fickle as ours are foreign with good reason. You wouldn't believe some of the excuses folks make to not attend games unless it's a marquee matchup.

IF we're winning these games it will help FSU's SOS much more than if we schedule cupcakes and come in with an inflated record. I like who we schedule, I'm just less than impressed in the order we schedule them. Had we opened with Wagner week 1 and Tulsa week 2 we'd have been in a lot better shape v Penn State week 3 or 4. Had we beaten Penn State, this conversation wouldn't even be happening and you'd be more excited we had that W vs a W against SE Conn school of cosmetology.

I understand what you're saying...but whether you plan on losing or not is not really relevant. The school with the better athletes, higher paid coaching staffs and more resources are going to win most of the time. Yes, if you schedule enough games as underdogs, you'll bit a team here or there. But in the end, you can't beat those odds on a regular basis. That's why you book one game you can make a statement in, and have a chance to win. If you're a dog, that's ok. Then you book three wins.

I don't think you'd have any trouble getting MAC or Sunbelt teams to play Syracuse if you pay them or gave them a return visit. I can't believe it's that difficult. You're telling me Maryland will give Syracuse a home and home but Ohio or Akron won't? That doesn't make sense.

I get what you're saying about the fans, but a string of 8-10 win seasons can change that. Your fans are conditioned by teams that are not very good and the likelihood that they see a loss.

This is Pitt's schedule next year. This is ideal:

• 08/30 - Delaware

That combined with being on the weaker division is potentially sets up for a very nice season for them.

I'm sorry, is this a discussion about how scheduling MARYLAND means SU is overscheduling?!

Because I may have slipped and hit my head or something but i think this is a discussion about overscheduling by signing a deal with MARYLAND.

As seen fron Syracuse and elsewhere, patsy scheduling really does not work long term. It hasn't helped FSU or VATech. Playing one or two decent games per years may rack up wins but that does not translate to competing and winning national championships.

If you want to be a big boy you have to play like and with big boys. Winning lots of games but losing what should have been a win game makes the conference look terrible.

Have it your way and lose to Wake or NCState. That's impressive to voters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom