Honest question. Is Swider everything we expected? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Honest question. Is Swider everything we expected?

If Benny were ready for bigger minutes great. And I don't believe anyone chased Braswell out.
I don’t disagree that Benny has struggled and if we told Braswell he would get 25 minutes a night I don’t think he transfers.

I really like Jimmy as a player. He’s got some great skills. Obviously he lacks athleticism and his free throw shooting drives me nuts, but he does everything better than Cole IMO.

I think if we had him paired with a more athletic forward he would be appreciated more and the team would fit together better. Too often Cole is just out there doing nothing. Defense/rebounding and catch and shoot 3 point shooting would have been fine for that position.

I like what he brings to the table. Only downside is his shooting. He gets a lot of open looks late in the games when everyone is cheating on Buddy and Joe. He hits those on a consitent basis and it opens up driving lanes for Jimmy (cant believe I'm saying that part) and Buddy.

We lack quickness to the ball on defensive rebounding. In our 3 ACC losses consider if we got 3 additional defensive rebounds from Buddy/Joe/Jimmy. (not each but 3 in total). We win those games. Thats right 3 rebounds per game in the losses. In most cases those rebounds lead to drives to the basked for the other team and a foul against our center. A "Tripple Whammy".

Really we are a few rebounds away from being undefeated in the ACC. Its a really fine line for this team. We got a shot but its not much of one. (Yeah, I'm saying that We Got a Shot at March Madness).

I have no idea. Discuss.

Yeah I think he is. He’s provided lots of fan angst about nepotism and fuel to belittle our coaching staff. This a pretty solid contribution especially for a guy in his first year here.

His O is mildly disappointing, maybe 75 to 80% of what I expected. He is too inconsistent from trey range and doesnt get himself quite enough good looks either by getting to open spots or off the dribble. The big unexpected plus for me is he is rebounding better than I had expected.

So overall, I guess it averages out to about what I might have anticipated.

Do people here think that a guy transferring for a starting role, changing every aspect of his daily life, should just come in and kill it? His shooting average will go up and he will make better decisions as he gets more comfortable.

His O is mildly disappointing, maybe 75 to 80% of what I expected. He is too inconsistent from trey range and doesnt get himself quite enough good looks either by getting to open spots or off the dribble. The big unexpected plus for me is he is rebounding better than I had expected.

So overall, I guess it averages out to about what I might have anticipated.

Same here.

Expected more on O, especially with Buddy (& Jesse!) to draw attention.
Figured he’d be 40% again from 3, only adding in some other wrinkles to his game too.

His D is the meh I expected, but hoped the zone would hide it better.

He’s definitely a better rebounder than some expected - I figured he’d be decent there, given his size.

His confidence will improve. I think next year, he could easily average 18 pts and 8 rebounds, shoot 38% from 3, close to 90% from the line. People can badmouth him, but those are Tom Gugliotta type of numbers.
Wasn't Googs ACC player of the year?

His confidence will improve. I think next year, he could easily average 18 pts and 8 rebounds, shoot 38% from 3, close to 90% from the line. People can badmouth him, but those are Tom Gugliotta type of numbers.
And those are made up numbers but yup they are Gugliotta type numbers. Next year he won't get the absolutely wide open 3 pt looks he misses this year.

nah.

uva was up the last 9 mins of the game

Miami put it to us in the 2nd half. It wasn’t that close.

Wake, I’ll give you. That should have been a w
Wake makes a free throw or 2 and that game isn't a W either. We are what we are.

I don’t disagree that Benny has struggled and if we told Braswell he would get 25 minutes a night I don’t think he transfers.

I really like Jimmy as a player. He’s got some great skills. Obviously he lacks athleticism and his free throw shooting drives me nuts, but he does everything better than Cole IMO.

I think if we had him paired with a more athletic forward he would be appreciated more and the team would fit together better. Too often Cole is just out there doing nothing. Defense/rebounding and catch and shoot 3 point shooting would have been fine for that position.
Same here. Cole or Jimmy and not Cole and Jimmy. I wish Jimmy was a better defender, because SU hasn't had a big paint scorer like him in awhile.

Pretty close: 35.8% on 3s, our leading rebounder at 7 per game, 1:1 on A/TO, 21 steals, 85% FT shooter, and he can dribble. I was hoping he would hit 40% of his 3s, but I think he is much better than the board consensus which is probably more an issue of expectations rather than actual play.

For me, he comes close to meeting my expectations, but not nearly close to my hopes. To be fair, that could still change…but that just gets added to the list of things I hope will change for this program.

He’s redundant with Jimmy on the team. I think we would have been better off going with Benny and Keeping Braswell.
This is the issue. Jimmy and Cole have the same deficiencies, especially on defense. We’d be ok if they played 10min together, but not 30. We really need someone like Q on the other side when Cole/Jimmy are on the wing.

Cole has been mostly fine. He's our leading rebounder, and he shoots higher percentages from both the field and three than Buddy. His game is fairly similar to James Southerland in the sense that he really can't dribble at all. In a perfect world, he would come off the bench as James did, but unfortunately, our roster is what it is.

Cole has been mostly fine. He's our leading rebounder, and he shoots higher percentages from both the field and three than Buddy. His game is fairly similar to James Southerland in the sense that he really can't dribble at all. In a perfect world, he would come off the bench as James did, but unfortunately, our roster is what it is.
Ehh. Cole passes up a lot of shots he should take with pump fakes to nowhere. That’s why his percentage is higher. And Southerland played 30 mpg on a 30 win FF team.

Swider will be on a summer league roster because if his exhibition performances this fall were an indication of what he looks like in workouts he’s going to impress some front office haha

He seems like the kind of player who it feels like is one year away every year. I like his game and he consistently plays hard on a team that lacks that so I’ll never be too negative about what he does on the court.

Swider will be on a summer league roster because if his exhibition performances this fall were an indication of what he looks like in workouts he’s going to impress some front office haha

He seems like the kind of player who it feels like is one year away every year. I like his game and he consistently plays hard on a team that lacks that so I’ll never be too negative about what he does on the court.
He’s like Kyle Wiltjer but does everything far worse than him. He may find his way on a summer league roster but he won’t play.

Sir, I watched James Southerland play. I watched his senior year and he was a weapon. Cole Swider is no James Southerland.

He is basically Alan Griffin better rebounder but worse athlete.
He has been fine.

He just isn’t what the HC and GMac hyped him to be.

Sir, I watched James Southerland play. I watched his senior year and he was a weapon. Cole Swider is no James Southerland.

He is basically Alan Griffin better rebounder but worse athlete.
He has been fine.

He just isn’t what the HC and GMac hyped him to be.
Agree with everything. As far as the last sentence goes, I am sure Cole looked great in practice considering who he was practicing against

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom