Honest question. Is Swider everything we expected? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Honest question. Is Swider everything we expected?

Now we’re talking!
I like pumping up these young guys, get them to play to their strengths, let them have success so they buy in and show them the real way to play, I also like grabbing another old guy for the team whenever possible, we just have the younger guy(s) run around and make the simple play. It’s amazing how useful a give and go is in an old man game.

I like pumping up these young guys, get them to play to their strengths, let them have success so they buy in and show them the real way to play, I also like grabbing another old guy for the team whenever possible, we just have the younger guy(s) run around and make the simple play. It’s amazing how useful a give and go is in an old man game.
Amen

"Made Up Numbers"??
He's averaging 13 points right now as the 4th option behind the Boeheim Boys and their cousin Joe.

The 8 rebounds are just 1 more than he's averaging right now.

As poor as we think Cole is shooting, he's at 36% right now from three, and 86% from the line.

So, you don't think he can improve 2% from 3? Have you watched the games? He has a great stroke.
Yes. Made up numbers.

And next year if he is here he will be covered. He misses more wide open 3s than anyone we've ever had. There is no way he will average what you say. NONE. ZERO. Without Buddy around no chance.

Billy Hoyle and Sidney Deane on our board.

Who knew.
That whole discussion reminded me that the older I get, the greater I use to be...
source.gif

Swider is capable offensively, but far too inconsistent.

He has had 5 games in which he has shot .500 or better from 3. In those games, he is shooting 77% from deep. Obviously that is ridiculous and not sustainable.

However, in the other 11 games, he's shooting 20% from 3. That also is not sustainable, and is happening much more frequently.

His overall average of 35.8% is good, not great. In order to make up for his many deficiencies on defense, he needs to be a great shooter for us - and that's what he was advertised to be.

Asking a great shooter to shoot 40% from 3 in college is not asking too much.

By and large, I think he's been as good as we reasonably could've expected. Versus his time at Nova:
  • 3 point shooting is pretty consistent - down a bit from recent years, but he's shooting a lot more so that isn't totally unexpected
  • 2 point shooting percentages are way down - he's shooting 47.4% inside the arc this year vs. almost 58% his last two years at Nova; even accounting for more usage, 10% is a pretty big drop
  • Rebounding is meaningfully better - 8.2/40 this year vs. 6.1/40 his prior two years, and again, in a lot more minutes
  • Most other counting stats are pretty consistent on a per-40 basis

He obviously has been pretty subpar on defense, but I don't know if it's fair to call that "below expectations." I watched him a handful of times when he was at Nova, and his defense was really rough in most of those games, and I think even those that were really excited about him joining the team recognized that may be an issue. I think a lot of us were hopeful that the zone would mask some of those defensive issues. In hindsight, that may have been wishful thinking.

All in all, he's probably right at expectations, if maybe a bit below hopes.

Whenever he drives to the basket or backs his guy down and gets stopped he looks to pass and when he can't find a guy to pas s it to he shoots, and makes them all. He needs to just shoot more when he gets near the paint, be more selfish.
Yep. He frustrates me because he has good moves to the basket but he rarely ever looks to shoot when the opportunity is clearly there. And, why the hell is he constantly falling down like a klutz?

Yep. He frustrates me because he has good moves to the basket but he rarely ever looks to shoot when the opportunity is clearly there. And, why the hell is he constantly falling down like a klutz?
Because he is thought of as a perimeter shooter, he draws the smaller forward to guard him because the taller defensive player is assigned to stop James in the paint. So, if he can continue hitting those turn around jumpers at a high clip, the defense will have to send a second guy to stop it. That's one of the reasons I'm still optimistic about the season. That and maybe Benny comes in with blood in his eyes and really changes the dynamic of the team.

James Southerland role was to be a catch and shoot guy.
He got great service from his PGs.
He never was asked to drive the ball
The guy could drive if that was asked.
At the end of the Michigan Final Four game Southerland faked a shot and drove a dunk.
He had that game.

I don’t see the comp to Swider at all. There games are not alike unless you want to say you think Swider is a catch and shoot guy.
I don’t see Swider as a catch and shoot guy. If he is then the PGs need to service him better.
Remember when Southy made a record 9 3-pointers and scored 35 points in our win against Arkansas on their home court? In our Final Four season. Those were the days…. Is Cole capable of that? I don’t know the answer but his shot is a bit flat and he seems to lack confidence.

He's got room to be better. We haven't seen the best of him yet.

In his last 7 games since the Pitt game (an 0-4 from three), which is when I posted this, Swider is shooting 44.4% from three. He just needs some confidence and a little love from the fans. We have to believe in him as a player; he feels it out there.

He is a big liability on defense, so if he does not score no value to the team.
Cole’s rebounding - averaging 6.8 per game. He’s staying on the court not fouling and giving opponents free throw opportunities either. That’s all a part of defense too. He’s shooting .396 from 3, 88% free throw %, and 13.2 points overall per game. He’s scored double digits in 18 of our 24 games so not too many games anyone can even say he’s of no value to the team. He’s scoring. He’s averaged 17.25 points our last 4 games. Is his lateral quickness poor - yes - but he’s not the first nor last college player or even NBA player whose weakness is poor defense.

Swider is capable offensively, but far too inconsistent.

He has had 5 games in which he has shot .500 or better from 3. In those games, he is shooting 77% from deep. Obviously that is ridiculous and not sustainable.

However, in the other 11 games, he's shooting 20% from 3. That also is not sustainable, and is happening much more frequently.

His overall average of 35.8% is good, not great. In order to make up for his many deficiencies on defense, he needs to be a great shooter for us - and that's what he was advertised to be.

Asking a great shooter to shoot 40% from 3 in college is not asking too much.
He isn’t shooting 35.8% from 3, it’s 39.6%. Cole Swider - Men's Basketball - Syracuse University Athletics

I have no idea. Discuss.
Last night he was everything I expected and more. I think he's got his game together and from here on will not hesitate to score at will at least that's what I hope.

Really hope he comes back. He’d be the guy next year and another offseason here and he could explode
Agree 100%. I would've said "no way" a month ago, but he just needed time to get comfortable and build his confidence back up. He's said as much.

The past 3 games Cole has been everything i expected. The only think we haven't seen a lot of is post play and honestly that has been fine given that is where we want Jesse not Cole.

His leadership skills have really started to show out. Amidst the team losing and looking down he was out there with intensity and positivity every game sometimes looking like the only one.

If we are gonna keep winning and make a real run it's going to have a lot to do with Cole.

Really hope he comes back. He’d be the guy next year and another offseason here and he could explode

Yeah same here. Another kid who while starting at Nova feels completely orange and adding a year to that would be great. Also another kid who has future coach written all over him to me if he doesn't go with sports announcer first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom