Honestly, a pretty entertaining game | Syracusefan.com

Honestly, a pretty entertaining game

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I thought Joe Girard played with great moxie like we haven't seen since Devendorf today. Really loved it, even if he did rush a three in the last minute. I thought the kids played hard, they played pretty smart. They looked pretty good out there.
This is kind of what we are - a middle of the pack team, not super talented. They kind of remind me of the early 1970s, when I first became a fan. We had a team of guys who played together well and over-achieved.
That's this team's appeal, right now. Disappointed we lost, but that was a pretty fun game to watch.

I just got home. It was loud and sizzling at the Dome! Excruciating to lose but it was very exciting. I haven’t checked the stats yet to see the 3 pt percentage for both teams, but man! It has to be high.

Hard to lose but it seems that this is a team that can win. This is not the team I was afraid we were after Virginia. Good to see your positive post, Matt.

Was a great game (except for the loss). Each team threw haymakers and Cuse played really hard. Was one great shot after another. I’d be optimistic if this was against a good team. Even with great play and real tenacity it’s a loss dang it.

I just got home. It was loud and sizzling at the Dome! Excruciating to lose but it was very exciting. I haven’t checked the stats yet to see the 3 pt percentage for both teams, but man! It has to be high.

Hard to lose but it seems that this is a team that can win. This is not the team I was afraid we were after Virginia. Good to see your positive post, Matt.
Each team was 15-31 from 3: 48.4%

Each team was 15-31 from 3: 48.4%

That can't be a coincidence!

1578193631267.png

Completely agree that this was a fun game to watch. Sucked to lose it, but it was a good game to watch.

We put together a really strong stretch at the end of the first half when JB subbed HW for JGIII and QG for BS. HW never got back in the game. I don't know how much credence you give to plus/minus, but HW and QG were +10 and +9 respectively today. JGIII and BS were -11 and -10 respectively.

These stats make my early season prediction of our program morphing into a bad version of Notre Dame...spot on! Luckily Notre Dame is down a bit this year too, so at the moment we're pretty competitive with them!

Completely agree that this was a fun game to watch. Sucked to lose it, but it was a good game to watch.

We put together a really strong stretch at the end of the first half when JB subbed HW for JGIII and QG for BS. HW never got back in the game. I don't know how much credence you give to plus/minus, but HW and QG were +10 and +9 respectively today. JGIII and BS were -11 and -10 respectively.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Now it's impossible to time these things perfectly, and I'll also concede that Washington's probably incapable of scoring 10 points in 2 minutes like Girard did during our late run. But damned if I wasn't calling for him to come in when we were flat and Notre Dame pushed its lead to 8 midway through the second half. We played well with him in the first half, and he's our best defensive guard. Unless he was hurt on that crackback block, he should have gotten more run.

We’ve got some pieces. We just need more. And there’s too many guys on the roster that aren’t pieces.

That 2021 class is everything. Recruit a couple studs in that class(preferably at the 3 and 5) and we should have a really good team in Boeheim’s swan song.

We’ve got some pieces. We just need more. And there’s too many guys on the roster that aren’t pieces.

That 2021 class is everything. Recruit a couple studs in that class(preferably at the 3 and 5) and we should have a really good team in Boeheim’s swan song.
So was 2018... and 2019... and 2020... how many lives does this Boeheim cat get?

The offense is night and day better compared to the past 5 years. Most of our issues are defense related.

unfortunately my remote was in the hands of some bills fans. flipped on breaks and caught the end. i watched full replay this am while they slept off their disappointment. was an entertaining game.

The offense is night and day better compared to the past 5 years. Most of our issues are defense related.

Our strengths and weaknesses appear similar to the 2016-17 team and I think we'll have the same fate.

To be really good, you've got to be good on both ends. That's what we haven't had these last five years.

It really was entertaining. Lot's of back and forth with each team making mini-runs. Probably a pretty good game for anyone to watch that isn't a fan of either team, except that neither is nationally relevant at the moment. I have to say I was barely disappointed. I suppose that's because I have no expectations at this point.

Our strengths and weaknesses appear similar to the 2016-17 team and I think we'll have the same fate.

To be really good, you've got to be good on both ends. That's what we haven't had these last five years.

I think Buddy and Joe are the long term backcourt so I think it’s imperative Guerrier develops and we get an elite defensive 5 to cover up their deficiencies.

Yes. But there are better defensive teams than ND in the ACC. Offensive struggles are still going to happen.

Yes. But there are better defensive teams than ND in the ACC. Offensive struggles are still going to happen.
Any team that relies heavily on the deep ball is going to struggle offensively in a lot of games. The silver lining is that this team has two excellent high volume 3-point shooters and another streaky sort, so hopefully they will be able to generate enough offense to compete most nights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom