Hoops program tiers | Syracusefan.com

Hoops program tiers

OrangeFoo

All American
Interesting article at the athletic ranking program. A few interesting tidbits
- Syracuse is a tier 3 program along with the likes of Michigan, Arkansas, Georgetown, Maryland and 11 other programs... basically top 25 but not top 10
- UCONN is now considered a blue blood… they do call out that it’s the newest blue blood. I think we can safely declare the battle for the northeast hoops best program is over.
- There will be a lot of movement over the next few years in tier 2 which includes Sparty (what happens after izzo), Indiana and Louisville (I’m free-falling), Nova (are they a one coach program or can they last)

I personally think as long as Izzo is there, sparty is tier 1. Indiana is long gone from tier 2. When does ucla lose tier 1 status?

sorry it’s a paid article… but the athletic is worth it. Debate away!

1703706602596.png

If AZ is in tier 2, we should be as well. Yea the last 10 yrs have been subpar but we have still been to final fours and sweet 16 in these bad years. Also we have more final fours than AZ, more champ game appearances, and tied with one title each (can we count helms titles like unc?)
And unfortunately UConn is deserving of tier 1. Sucks, but ‘ships trump everything else.

Last edited:
Nothing is ever over. We are one great season away from changing how we are viewed. Nobody in their right mind had any thoughts about UConn being a blue blood when they were sucking in the AAC 5 seasons ago.
+1000 to this… not to knock JB because he single handedly got this program to quasi-blue blood status, but if he had been less rigid in his last five years or so the program would not have slipped as much. The good news is if Autry can get this ship rolling again there isn’t much of a barrier to tier two status.

A great man once said, "It's not over until we say it's over!"

• Dislike
Reactions: B
Interesting article at the athletic ranking program. A few interesting tidbits
- Syracuse is a tier 3 program along with the likes of Michigan, Arkansas, Georgetown, Maryland and 11 other programs... basically top 25 but not top 10
- UCONN is now considered a blue blood… they do call out that it’s the newest blue blood. I think we can safely declare the battle for the northeast hoops best program is over.
- There will be a lot of movement over the next few years in tier 2 which includes Sparty (what happens after izzo), Indiana and Louisville (I’m free-falling), Nova (are they a one coach program or can they last)

I personally think as long as Izzo is there, sparty is tier 1. Indiana is long gone from tier 2. When does ucla lose tier 1 status?

sorry it’s a paid article… but the athletic is worth it. Debate away!

We need to get back to tier 2 as soon as possible.

Perception is what have you done for me lately. Last two years we were down. We make the tournament and have a run perception immediately changes not only with the fickle media but recruits.
Women’s team is facing the same situation. They have lost 1 game to a ranked team on the road by two points and still not getting respect.

uconn still isn’t blue blood. These people do this for clicks. uconn is easily tier 1 but there’s a difference between blue bloods and tier 1 programs. Jesus Christ it’s like people dontt understand the term at all.

uconn still isn’t blue blood. These people do this for clicks. uconn is easily tier 1 but there’s a difference between blue bloods and tier 1 programs. Jesus Christ it’s like people dontt understand the term at all.

What is the official definition?

You're crazy if you think UConn isn't a blue blood. I hate them as much as anyone but they been a good to great team for over 30 years (with a few stinker years mixed in). 5 titles--nuff said. They earned their status on the court and in the tournament. Now excuse me while I wash my mouth out with soap!!!

Unfortunately can’t argue that based on the last 10 years and our recent history.
a number of people who posted on that story said that Cuse and Michigan should both be in tier 2. And Wisconsin should move up to tier 3.

Last edited:
This isn't official but I would guess the difference, if there is one, would be that a 'blue blood' has an elite history and a non-blue blood could be an elite team in this era.
5 championships is elite history. This is not like Gonzaga that has been 1 seeds and lost in the finals in last 10 years. Huskies have last 30+ years of being elite and rings to fill up one hand. Sucks but just the facts

5 championships is elite history. This is not like Gonzaga that has been 1 seeds and lost in the finals in last 10 years. Huskies have last 30+ years of being elite and rings to fill up one hand. Sucks but just the facts
And we like to tell ourselves that they didn't start playing basketball until 1990, but they went to 11 tourneys between the early 50s and early 70s and almost made the Final Four in 1964. I feel icky writing that because I hate them so much.

How can we not be Tier 1??? Who else can get 35,000+++ fans out on campus for a home game?

The biggest travesty is that Hurley built this version negatively recruiting against Boheim, just like the first version under Calhoun bennfitted from SU being on probation. Not saying Calhoun wasn’t great but UConn may never have gotten to the heights they achieved without the first SU probation (that’s on us) and Hurley out recruited the pants off an old Boheim (also on us).

Hurley literally told recruits he was going to win a NC. I thought it was a disgusting bold face lie. I’m still in shock.

Let’s hope Red has some nasty in him and can grab some of the best recruits because we’re going to need them.

How can we not be Tier 1??? Who else can get 35,000+++ fans out on campus for a home game?
“Can” vs. “would be able to.” Syracuse is the only team that can because the stadium is a dome, would Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky be able too? I would assume so. Really seems like the list came down to championships…

“Can” vs. “would be able to.” Syracuse is the only team that can because the stadium is a dome, would Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky be able too? I would assume so. Really seems like the list came down to championships…

But we don't know because they didn't have the stones to go all in. Championships are important, but they can't be the only thing that goes in to measuring the significance of a program.

Clearly Duke is royalty, I mean they’re playing Queens(??) today. Weren’t the Kings available?

Last edited:
You're crazy if you think UConn isn't a blue blood. I hate them as much as anyone but they been a good to great team for over 30 years (with a few stinker years mixed in). 5 titles--nuff said. They earned their status on the court and in the tournament. Now excuse me while I wash my mouth out with soap!!!
You just don’t understand the true definition of blue blood and that’s okay. It’s not hate towards uconn they’re better right now, and in total history than some of the actual blue bloods. I’d rather be where uconn is over UCLA, Indiana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom