Hoops Weiss hopes SU reconsiders move | Syracusefan.com

Hoops Weiss hopes SU reconsiders move

The Big East must be equally cavalier as the ACC was in creating a dialogue and asking Syracuse what it would take for the school to stay in a league that has finally stabilized its football situation and which once again will have the largest number of at-large bids to the NCAA Tournament.

Did he really say the football situation is stabilized?

I'm not a big football fan, so I don't care all that much about that, and I would love to stay in the Big East for basketball, but my god, these dudes seem to have no plan outside of adding any and every team that will accept an invite. Pretty soon you're going to end up with 5 power conferences and the Big East which will eventually include every school not in the other 5 conferences.

The Big East must be equally cavalier as the ACC was in creating a dialogue and asking Syracuse what it would take for the school to stay in a league that has finally stabilized its football situation and which once again will have the largest number of at-large bids to the NCAA Tournament.

I'm not a big football fan, so I don't care all that much about that, and I would love to stay in the Big East for basketball, but my god, these dudes seem to have no plan outside of adding any and every team that will accept an invite. Pretty soon you're going to end up with 5 power conferences and the Big East which will eventually include every school not in the other 5 conferences.
Too little too late. The time to woo is when she's happy not whens she's already decided to leave

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Hoops Weiss is an idiot for even thinking this. Look at the BE it is a train-wreck of a conference. Go play with Duke and UNC in b'ball and FSU/Miami/Clemson/VT in football. Pretty much get back most of your rivals with teams on your schedule like BC, Pitt, Miami and VT.

Or stay in the Big East and play....who? USF? Cincy? DePaul? Pretty much CUSA! Get a clue! How did a newspaper even report this nonsense!

All I see in that column is a lot of whining.

What the hell does it matter that Dr. Gross didn't have east coast connections? He's one of the best athletic directors in the country and has been at Syracuse for almost 8 years. There's nothing transient about that.

And the idea that the football situation in the Big East is stable borders on insanity. The vast majority of the Syracuse community is excited for the ACC move so I don't know what the hell he's talking about that the Syracuse community needs to speak up.He also forgot to mention that if Syracuse were somehow persuaded to stay (which will never happen) that UConn would be on the next flight to North Carolina.

That entire column is a joke.

Mr. Weiss, doesn't get it the hybrid model is what KILLS the Big East. You can't be a conference of 2 operating as 1. If Syracuse wanted to drop football then sure we could be like Villanova or Georgetown and enjoy the Big East. However, we aren't and can't stay where the basketball schools need the football schools more than vice-versa.

Article was very good, hard to argue with most of the points.

If you're a hoops -only fan of Syracuse, he makes a convincing case. If you follow all Syracuse sports, you realize that this article could have been written by Trangese. Not suprising from a guy named "Hoops".

Staying in the Big East would be an unmitigated, complete, total disaster in the long run for Syracuse athletics. Period. End of story.

That was a very narrow-minded article that took a broad issue and essentially cherry picked certain points. The writer clearly does not understand the business of college sports and the school's brand name. The Big East is a shell of its former self, and at this point is nothing short of a bastardization of a conference. While he brings up a good point about Boston College, what he fails to remember is that BC was never anything more than a middle-of-the-pack bball and fball school in the first place. But with Syracuse and Pitt going to the ACC it actually makes the conference more viable for BC because now you can split the conference into north and south, making travel very feasible. We'll probably have BC, Pitt, Maryland, and the Virginia schools in our division, making our travel very comparable to our current situation.

I'm probably in the minority here, but other than playing at MSG for the big east tournament (and even then not much), I have no emotional ties to the big east. Good riddance to a conference that does nothing for us other than let the bball schools dictate what happens to the money makers. I realize that the ACC is a bball conference first and foremost, but thats why it fits Syracuse's profile and why I always felt we'd end up in the ACC even when there was talk of the B10, which I was against because we didnt fit the profile. The ACC fits us much better than the big east academically and athletically. I feel as though half the schools we play against right now are a step above a community college.

Hoops Weiss is pissed off that he'll be stuck watching SMU vs UCF and Houston vs Depaul in future BET's.

the problem is that people in syracuse care about football too, maybe first. the new big east has basically neutered our football program and laughed at us about it, while the strength of our basketball program has helped build every program that has benefited from the big east, which is a long list.

Yeah, what they have "created" football-wise is not stability unless you consider slapping band aids on a gaping wound stability.

Hoops Weiss is pissed off that he'll be stuck watching SMU vs UCF and Houston vs Depaul in future BET's.

The BET is going to die a very quick death once these also-ran programs start coming to NYC. Hoops Weiss is good at what he does, but this view is just so completely short sighted that it's maddening. I am sick of hearing the SU/BC comparisons. SU is NOT BC. If anything, adding Pitt and SU to the ACC immediately makes BC somewhat relevant again. Syracuse is a national brand. BC was only a regional brand, even when they were in the BE. That comparison is so far off the mark.

Dick asks "what can the BE do to woo SU back?". Well, Dick, the question should be "What SHOULD THEY HAVE DONE to keep SU and Pitt confident in their futures in the BE?". Gee, maybe they should have put SU and Pitt in charge of the BE Football TV deal instead of ND, a team that does not even give a rat's ass about BE football success? Maybe they should have listened to people like Daryl Gross and signed the ESPN deal when it was offered? Hey, it paid more than the ACC deal and would have assured some stability. SU and Pitt would still be there. So would WVa.

The root of this problem is in Providence, and until that head office is purged and real honest-to-God leaders are hired take charge, the BE, in any form, is destined to fail long term.

Hoops may think the BE is fixed, but when Louisville bolts for the Big 12, UConn and ND go to the ACC, and Cincy goes wherever they go, there will only be a small, Catholic school basketball conference left behind. Good teams, yes, but with no financial pull and no fan bases to support a conference tournament in NYC.

Yes he raises very good points, but he needs to see the bigger picture AND the rearview mirror. He is asking questions that should have been answered two years ago. But Marinatto was too much of a know-nothing, do-nothing to provide answers. He needed to be proactive and instead pissed away opportunities to save his league.

Let's wait 5 years and see what the Big East West looks like versus the ACC and then revisit Dick's narrow view of the new landscape of college bball. SU may once again be seen as a trailblazer and ahead of the curve because they chose a destination where both football AND basketball have a chance to flourish and be successful (not to mention LAX, but I'll give Hoops a pass on missing that aspect).

The last time any Big East team ouside of Syracuse and Uconn played in the championship game was Seton Hall in 1989.

I wonder if there is a writer named Gridiron Weiss out west who is writing about how good Pac 12 basketball was this year.

And those teams are coming regardless. As someone else pointed out above, SU deciding to stay means UConn or Rutgers will punch their ticket to Tobacco Road in our place.

Perhaps there should be blame put upon the non-football playing schools and any school did not vote for last year's ESPN lucrative offer for football. Because if the some of those schools would have developed Division 1 football schools, SU would have likely remained in the Big East. And if league had taken ESPN's money last year (why the Catholic schools and Notre Dame had any vote is beyond me), SU would likely not be moving. Syracuse had absolutely no choice. I hate that they are leaving the Big East, but it was a no brainer.

From a purely basketball perspective, he's right.
We're heading to a situation where we will be outsiders in our own conference.
There will never be a cultural fit.
We're abandoning our long-standing traditions and Arch Rivalry (as well as a couple of other strong rivalries).

TV revenue there may be.
But we are embarking on a slide into second-tier status as a basketball program.
We will not have the same relevance in the ACC that we do in the BE.
And does anyone really think that ACC football is going to put us back on America's map?

Also...please...people should stop suggesting the ACC break into a "North-South" divide.
They'll never use those designations.

The unchangeable fact of our geographic location is the biggest reason
we will never "fit" in the ACC.
We pack the Garden and several other arenas with Orange because this is where our fans and
alumni are...it's a relatively easy trip for others...and tickets can be had.
All of those things typically will no longer be true in the ACC.

The bottom line here is the bottom line.
We are leaving our tradition and alumni behind for the scent of money .
(And money only guaranteed for a short term).
That's the lesson the university is teaching.

And, by the way, I agree that the BE never should have rejected the last TV deal.

From a purely basketball perspective, he's right.
We're heading to a situation where we will be outsiders in our own conference.
There will never be a cultural fit.
We're abandoning our long-standing traditions and Arch Rivalry (as well as a couple of other strong rivalries).

TV revenue there may be.
But we are embarking on a slide into second-tier status as a basketball program.
We will not have the same relevance in the ACC that we do in the BE.
And does anyone really think that ACC football is going to put us back on America's map?

Also...please...people should stop suggesting the ACC break into a "North-South" divide.
They'll never use those designations.

The unchangeable fact of our geographic location is the biggest reason
we will never "fit" in the ACC.
We pack the Garden and several other arenas with Orange because this is where our fans and
alumni are...it's a relatively easy trip for others...and tickets can be had.
All of those things typically will no longer be true in the ACC.

The bottom line here is the bottom line.
We are leaving our tradition and alumni behind for the scent of money .
(And money only guaranteed for a short term).
That's the lesson the university is teaching.

And, by the way, I agree that the BE never should have rejected the last TV deal.

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall major point (us being outsiders in the ACC), but our fan following has had great turnouts in BE/OOC cities outside the northeast in places like Tampa, Raleigh, and Chicago. I expect the same for all the "southern" ACC schools except possibly Blacksburg.

As for your final comment, even had they signed that contract, the ACC needed 2 for them to get more $$$. As others have said, if we and Pitt didn't say "Yes", UConn and Rutgers would have.

Cheers,
Neil

Pay us $18MM/year, kick out the also-rans (oh wait, that's almost all of the conference), give us more home than away football games every year and make Georgetown sell us all their Verizon Center tickets and maybe we'll reconsider.

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps there should be blame put upon the non-football playing schools and any school did not vote for last year's ESPN lucrative offer for football.

I would take it even further to the three stooges of St. John's, Villanova and Georgetown (as confirmed Tranghese is his recent tantrum) that voted down Penn State. The Big East's fate was sealed.