Hooville Postgame thoughts... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Hooville Postgame thoughts...

I know it's old fashioned to say, but to get good shots, there must be ball movement, movement of players without the ball, and screens away from the ball.

Shooting % goes up with good shots.

Shooting % goes down with bad shots.

It seems to me that we have good shooters. We need to get those shooters good shots.

Portal? After watching last year on the bench there is no way Red should have brought in the same set of forwards. He made changes to the guard rotation bringing in JJ and Cuffe but left the forwards the same. I would argue last year that was by far the position that was the weakest on our team and not to address that in the offseason was a terrible mistake by Red. People said after we got JJ that JAB was holding Red back from recruiting better players but he failed to upgrade the roster in his first offseason again, especially at the forward position.
Felt like we really missed on not getting a wing player who could score at three levels. Instead we have a wing who can score at one level and not much else. Really disappointed in Starling as well. Chance was a gamble too.

not sure how a coach could enter a season in the ACC without a consistent 40% deep threat.
not in today's game. there is such a thing as a portal and tons of these mid major guys. hello matt roe ?

10 total assists, led by Taylor with 3.
Guards were expected to be the strength of this team -not good.

And hoped that SU would be done allowing career highs to opposing role players...
McNeeley is UVa's #2 scorer (11.6 ppg vs. Beekman's 12.0). If any team can have a complaint about a role player's having a career day it's ATM, when Rohde had a game-high 13 against them.

JT seems like a good shooter, but he needs help to get his shot off. My biggest criticism of this offense is they don’t run any screens off the ball to get him open. When Cuse had shooters like Shumpert, GMAC, Cooney we would move them all over the court and through a lot of screens trying to get them open looks. JB got away from that, maybe because it’s too hard to install full offense when you are turning your entire team over each off season. Autry hasn’t installed a single off ball screen from what I can tell. All the motion is at the top of the key.

If the offense relies in JT shooting the ball off the dribble we are in trouble.
Yeah, I agree. I also think JT defers too often, looking to pass first when shooting should be his first instinct. He thinks he’s being coached by Norman Dale and needs to get those four passes before looking at the hoop.

Sorry to reply to myself, but to be fair to Coach Autry and the criticism, he did pull Judah and Chris for lack of effort on defense right at that time of the game. He didn't press full bore, but they did pick them up man-to-man all the way down the floor.

And we still stayed pretty close, despite 3 bad turnovers and a stupid foul call that I don't think was a foul against Maliq Brown. When Judah came back in is when the lead ballooned right before half.
I think you’re misremembering the breakaway dunk. Pretty sure that was Q’s man and he’s the one who failed to get back. And Bell was out there with him. But maybe that’s what caused bell to get pulled and then Q switched to him.

i really wanna like Red, I really do.

As a player, as a man, as a family guy...he's great.

but as far as coaching - what I would like to see - is an innovator, an X's and O's guy - someone like a shaka smart, nate oats, jay wright, tony bennett...a guy with a clear strategic vision who knows how to implement it...

and at this point i'll be shocked if Red can be that type of coach...isnt the point of staying in house the benefit of continuity? im not seeing how continuity is beneficial at this point.

he can still turn it around and be successful...but it'll be because he can get good talent ...( think he relates to players at an elite level...they want to play for him (at least come to his team)) ...not because he can outstrategize opponents, imo.

I want a mastermind coach.
Yeah, continuity of JB’s last few mediocre years should not have been a goal.

This season is what it is. I compare it to FL and the womens team. She came in, like Red and was handed a team that they werent able to build themselves.
I don’t get this at all. Red recruited these players as the AHC and even re-recruited some of his preferred players from the portal who originally went elsewhere.

I don’t get this at all. Red recruited these players as the AHC and even re-recruited some of his preferred players from the portal who originally went elsewhere.
Hard when your former coach limits your assistants to recruit guys he wanted to fit his system. This is not at all Reds team. Lets not kid ourselves

Felt like we really missed on not getting a wing player who could score at three levels. Instead we have a wing who can score at one level and not much else. Really disappointed in Starling as well. Chance was a gamble too.
what "capital" did Red have this offesason? relationships.

he went to the well he had - previous relationships with former recruits...there's a reason they were in the portal, though...

it can still come together this year...end of January should be much different...

gotta remember there is still time

westry might be the missing piece needed...

have we tried both on the floor this season ?

I don't recall seeing it. I think it would be good to do, with Bell as the other F, and then any combo of guards.

I don't think you can really form an opinion of this team until mid January...new coach ...5 new players playing mtm which is new for us...they'll get better

Between now and the Duke game - basically the month of December - will decide our season, IMO.

One common thread in all the losses is that we can't take a punch. Runs are part of the game and it's hard to win on the road, but you have to be able to get off the mat. We either panic or sulk getting back and it results in bad shots and overhelping on defense and the 6-0 spurt becomes a 14-2 avalanche. That's where this season feels most like last season.

The roster is what it is but I wish we had more resilience. Hopefully Red uses these experiences to clarify the kinds of kids he wants to go after.

This is spot on. Excellent post.

Red’s 4-out/1-in system is too stagnant, especially when 2 of the 4 (Bell and Taylor) can’t really drive by anyone 1 on 1. They are supposed to be the snipers on the kick outs, but that hasn’t been going well.

And most of the time when Mintz and Starling see or force an opening to straighline drive they have already made up their mind they are tossing up whatever garbage they can get off.

Finally, the guards seem to just ignore McLeod on the pick and roll or dump down after it amazingly works the first time every game. Gotta get their own.

And for the love of god every 7th grade gym teacher in America can teach how to use a screener better than apparently anyone on SU’s staff.

To be fair, I agree, but that wasn't their only set.

I know it's old fashioned to say, but to get good shots, there must be ball movement, movement of players without the ball, and screens away from the ball.

Shooting % goes up with good shots.

Shooting % goes down with bad shots.

It seems to me that we have good shooters. We need to get those shooters good shots.

Yep, you are right on. I do see improvement in the motion on offense. But I also see players too willing to give up the offensive sets to go one-on-one if we start to get behind. (Well, I'm mostly talking about one guy ...)

Beekman is why that team wins and he was banged up. We swap one of our guards for him that game is totally different.
would beekman be what he is now without the coaching he has had at uva?

i doubt it

Not gonna stress this one too much. This was a circle in pen loss when the schedule was released.
I just have this feeling that ever since Syracuse came back against UVA when Malachi went wild, Tony Bennett has had this game circled.

Edit: not just this game - every Syracuse game

I actually think we're getting better. But they are so quick to quit on defense, or resort to bad habits on offense if things start going the other team's way. Basketball has always been a sport of runs.

Autry has to get these guys to play a little more level headed, a little more thoughtful of the nature of the game. A little less implusive & emotional. That might help them withstand and stop other teams' runs faster, before it's too late.

Speaking of which, at the end of the 1st half against UVa., as they were starting to pull away with maybe 5 or 6 minutes until halftime, he should have rotated out 2 or 3 guys and thrown on the press. Maybe we get a couple turnovers, a couple easy baskets and stay in the game.
Against a welll-coached UVa team you MUST do something to make them feel uncomfortable.

Hard when your former coach limits your assistants to recruit guys he wanted to fit his system. This is not at all Reds team. Lets not kid ourselves
Mostly. We made some moves this offseason that have not worked out though. At least yet.

JT seems like a good shooter, but he needs help to get his shot off. My biggest criticism of this offense is they don’t run any screens off the ball to get him open. When Cuse had shooters like Shumpert, GMAC, Cooney we would move them all over the court and through a lot of screens trying to get them open looks. JB got away from that, maybe because it’s too hard to install full offense when you are turning your entire team over each off season. Autry hasn’t installed a single off ball screen from what I can tell. All the motion is at the top of the key.

If the offense relies in JT shooting the ball off the dribble we are in trouble.
JT seems extremely timid to me right now. There were times yesterday when he had some space, but he seems to be a very reluctant shooter right now.

There were moments in the first half when we were up a few and had the ball where I was hopeful. But we would miss a three and then they made a three. And then another. And another.

Kidding ourselves is suggesting he had no hand in these players and inherited a roster that was fleeing. He’s got nothing like what FLJ inherited. Not even remotely similar. He’s seen most of these kids since junior high or early HS. He knew what he had and plenty of portal time. The only player who was not invited back was JG3. Jesse was supposed to be the starting C.

Virginia’s defense is what I think Red wants to emulate. Unfortunately, our team was recruited to play zone this is NOT Red’s desired players for the system he wants to run.

It’s going to take a couple of recruiting classes for Red to be able to run his system. Sorry, even Red won’t be able to get Cris Bell to suddenly play hard in every aspect of the game, just not gonna happen IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom