Hooville Postgame thoughts... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Hooville Postgame thoughts...

By the middle of February, the season will be about over.
That's true, but I think it will take close to that point for everything to gel if it's ever going to.

I don’t think multi-year rebuilds are even a thing anymore. Just get one or two stars from the portal and make sure to have the right role players. There’s really no excuse for top programs to have down years anymore given the free agency.
Tommy Lloyd had Arizona running like a top from the word “go”.

He would actually look better on a top 25 team.

Sounds like you're already looking to portal. That's not a winner's mentality. It's HIS team right now. It will be somebody else's team if he transfers.

Yup, no one here watched MCW play in college. Sharp comment.

I don't think you want to get into a comparison between a sophomore lottery pick and a sophomore who at this point would be lucky to play overseas.
I’m talking about his shooting form. JJ’s form isn’t any worse than MCW’s. It needs fixing, to get back to what it was in high school, but we’ve had lots of guys with wonky looking shooting form over the years. My point is that even first round draft picks can have bad shooting form.

Tommy Lloyd had Arizona running like a top from the word “go”.
thats the thing...this team looks like it might be "ready" by Jan/Feb-ish

the season starts in october...and its not a secret ...its public information

what happens next year if there's a ton of roster flux (again)? ( i bet there will be)

another "wait until january to see the real team scenario"?

other teams hit the ground running...it is possible.

i get it that its the first year for this staff but they have had a loooooong time to prep for this situation.

they all knew one day they'd have this chance....

it just dosnt give me a lot of confidence in the future.

thats the thing...this team looks like it might be "ready" by Jan/Feb-ish

the season starts in october...and its not a secret ...its public information

what happens next year if there's a ton of roster flux (again)? ( i bet there will be)

another "wait until january to see the real team scenario"?

other teams hit the ground running...it is possible.

i get it that its the first year for this staff but they have had a loooooong time to prep for this situation.

they all knew one day they'd have this chance...

it just dosnt give me a lot of confidence in the future.
i'd agree that an in house hire and total retention of asst coaches shouldn't require an adjustment period.

You might be right, but I don't buy it. Yes, they were recruited by a head coach who only played zone. However, up until coming to Syracuse New York, they ALL played nothing but man. I'm not so sure I'd give Red a pass on this. I mean, he did bring in the portal guys who don't do anything better either. Yeah, we should definitely give him more time than giving up on him (some here appear to have already done that
Yes everyone plays M2M for the most part the issue is some play it well while others have zero heart or desire to play tough M2M.

I have NO doubt that if Red was the HC 3 years ago with his system in mind he would have never recruited Chris Bell who plays D and rebounds like those parts of the game are optional.

As far as the portal goes with JJ and Naheem, there wasn’t a bunch of options at the 2 and 5 that were knocking down the doors to come to Syracuse after multiple down years and a new coach without knowing what kind of system he was going to run. Now that kids see he is running M2M, that will definitely help going forward. Bet you don’t see Red recruit kids who can’t play good defense anymore.

I would just like to remind everyone that it was close if you just don't count the final 2/3 of the game.

Sure; they quit and they got smoked.
There is the potential to be a pretty good team with the people currently on the roster. Give them until January; that's another 5 games. Just like we've learned a lot and seen a lot of growth already in this team, let's see where they are in a month. You'll still have the meat of the ACC schedule in front of you.

Kidding ourselves is suggesting he had no hand in these players and inherited a roster that was fleeing. He’s got nothing like what FLJ inherited. Not even remotely similar. He’s seen most of these kids since junior high or early HS. He knew what he had and plenty of portal time. The only player who was not invited back was JG3. Jesse was supposed to be the starting C.
He was severely handcuffed recruiting the last 5 years or so as were the others. Next year is on him 100%, imo, he has time

As far as the portal goes with JJ and Naheem, there wasn’t a bunch of options at the 2 and 5 that were knocking down the doors to come to Syracuse
I’m an Autry supporter but considering we had a strong player at each of those positions when he was hired and heavily downgraded is something that Red is responsible for.

He was severely handcuffed recruiting the last 5 years or so as were the others. Next year is on him 100%, imo, he has time
I get it but it’s not like he inherited some team he was unfamiliar with. That’s my quibble with the post. It’s one of the supposed benefits with an in-house hire. And so far next season he has two recruits - neither whom should be counted on to be studs. Could be, yes; should be? I don’t know.

I want Red to succeed as much as the next guy, but after a decade of decline, I’m impatient - as we all are.

He and the team better get used to the entire defense focused on him, the whole world knows we can't shoot as a team. It didn't stop him before (forcing things) when no one else was scoring.

We can shoot better if we work harder to create open shots.

Our offensive didn't move without the ball AT ALL until a couple weeks ago.

Our defensive was so awful, that Colgate was about to crush us for the third year in a row.

Since then, we are a LOT better at both.

Give us some toughness, some pride, and a sharing / caring attitude, and this can be the Top 25 team that the Mintz family - and all of us - craves.

Think about next year; if this team under-achieves and he portals, it will NOT be his team; he will be a sidekick to somebody else.

This is HIS team. MAKE IT A WINNER, IF YOU ARE A WINNER.

You can start by playing some defense, and set a better example for your teammates. You play like you grew up in the suburbs, man. Toughen up. That kid from UVa, Beekman, took him off his game from the start.

There are tougher guys, grown ass men, playing to get in the league. Get used to it. Keep crying for fouls, and soon you won't get any calls.

You're still going to get yours at the ends of games. Use the first 30 minutes to make your teammates better, and create shots for them. The NBA will value that more than you falling down on every goddamn drive you make.

One more reminder: if you portal, it's going to be 3 years anyways before you get your shot at the league.

Next year, we have a McDonalds AA at PF and SG arriving, Chance and Cuffe will be fully healthy, and anyone who stays will be a year more experienced.

This is YOUR team, Judah. Man up and be a leader!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom