Hop brought back for next year at UW…. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hop brought back for next year at UW….

Mike Hopkins we don’t know how he would have done here as HC but the fact he plays zone almost exclusively tells I am okay without him being HC here.

It needs to be said though he wasn’t HC here and as a result he was following Coach Boeheim’s orders recruiting. Coach hasn’t recruited as well since Hop left.
That is a fact. We had 10 first round picks from 2008-2017 and that was Mike Hopkins.

Gerry McNamara and Red Autry haven’t brought in one first round pick since Hop left. That is why these guys shouldn’t even be short list candidates. Talent reduction has been a major part of our decline. If they can’t get talent as assistants i highly doubt they could as HC. If people want it put that on Coach Boeheim then why is Coach still coaching. Judah could possibly be drafted in first round but unlikely this year.

Hop was a great #2 under Boeheim. It doesn’t mean he is a great #1.

It can also mean that JB and the program have been worse since Hop left.

All are true.
its also true that the west coast is easier than the ACC...so syracuse strength of schedule has also likely been better

What does it matter? I still have little reason to believe JB retires before 2025
If this is true then Wildhack isn’t a good AD. The results don’t warrant this. If Coach won’t retire then the AD actually needs to do his job. We all get he is a alum and worked at ESPN how about you actually care about the results on the floor if Coach won’t retire.

If this is true then Wildhack isn’t a good AD. The results don’t warrant this. If Coach won’t retire then the AD actually needs to do his job. We all get he is a alum and worked at ESPN how about you actually care about the results on the floor if Coach won’t retire.

Hopkins has one less NCAAT win than Coach Boeheim since he left for Washington.
Have no reason to believe this matters as much as JB finishing on his terms. So I’ve chosen just not to care and continue trying to enjoy su bb

Have no reason to believe this matters as much as JB finishing on his terms. So I’ve chosen just not to care and continue trying to enjoy su bb
Crazy that people are this beaten down.

I get it. That said this is unacceptable for the AD. I think Wildhack is okay but his performance is not great and if he lets Coach stay on his terms then that isn’t fair to fans. Coach Boeheim has been loyal but the loyalty has been returned and then some.

We haven’t been ranked in over 4 years. If John Wildhack let’s this continue he is telling fans he is fine with this. Which stinks.

Mike Hopkins allowed all this to happen by just not waiting one more year and then taking over here.

Mike Hopkins allowed all this to happen by just not waiting one more year and then taking over here.
And you know for sure that JAB would have retired. You might be the only one who thinks Hop didn't do what was best for him.

I get it. That said this is unacceptable for the AD. I think Wildhack is okay but his performance is not great and if he lets Coach stay on his terms then that isn’t fair to fans. Coach Boeheim has been loyal but the loyalty has been returned and then some.

We haven’t been ranked in over 4 years. If John Wildhack let’s this continue he is telling fans he is fine with this. Which stinks.

Your last sentence is absolutely positively without a doubt wrong.

If this is true then Wildhack isn’t a good AD. The results don’t warrant this. If Coach won’t retire then the AD actually needs to do his job. We all get he is an alum and worked at ESPN how about you actually care about the results on the floor if Coach won’t retire.
Hundreds of millions in donations argue that he is doing a good job.

ADs job is to bring in money, don’t like the results, stop donating.

In no way is this on Hopkins.

I think attendance is beginning to show just how much SU cares about how the fans feel about the situation.

In many ways, I see hop very similar to Dino. I think that Mike would be an unbelievable face of the program, would definitely great with the alumni, and really connect with players and recruits.

However, like Dino, he needs help with coordinators. I think Mike needs an offensive coach on his staff, someone to run the offense. The other thing that I think he really struggles with, is being the bad cop. I watch his teams, and he lets players play through their mistakes probably too much than he should. I know we all hate the way JB rips kids in press conferences and yanks them after the first mistake, but we’ve also seen that over the years that has been an effective tool and getting kids to play the way you want. And I realize that’s not true in all cases.

Last edited:
Mike Hopkins we don’t know how he would have done here as HC but the fact he plays zone almost exclusively tells I am okay without him being HC here.

It needs to be said though he wasn’t HC here and as a result he was following Coach Boeheim’s orders recruiting. Coach hasn’t recruited as well since Hop left.
That is a fact. We had 10 first round picks from 2008-2017 and that was Mike Hopkins.

Gerry McNamara and Red Autry haven’t brought in one first round pick since Hop left. That is why these guys shouldn’t even be short list candidates. Talent reduction has been a major part of our decline. If they can’t get talent as assistants i highly doubt they could as HC. If people want it put that on Coach Boeheim then why is Coach still coaching. Judah could possibly be drafted in first round but unlikely this year.
Here is a hot take… the problem with the HCJB coaching philosophy isn’t the zone it’s the offense. Since the title, JB’s offenses have always been dependent on having a couple of players who can beat their guy 1:1. He doesn’t seem to do much anymore to create good shots from a system perspective with movement or screens. When I see fun teams to watch like Creighton or Nova before their recruiting took off, I was always jealous that they had 5 dudes who could do damage on offense and they generated a good look almost every time. Even this year I really enjoyed Cornell’s style of play, even though they didn’t have the athletes to stay with us for 40 minutes.

I could care less about the d… get me someone who can coach a good offense. I’d prefer to watch that over a broken offense that’s all based on 1:1 plays.

Donations have increased under his watch, but I haven't seen anything to indicate it has been that much.

And you know for sure that JAB would have retired. You might be the only one who thinks Hop didn't do what was best for him.
Mike Hopkins had a contract to take over. Coach Boeheim’s contract was set to expire. When Hop left Coach got an extension.

Hopkins would have been the HC and Coach would haven’t been. Hopkins did his mentor a favor but making the break clean. So Coach could continue and Hop get his shot at a good spot.

Your last sentence is absolutely positively without a doubt wrong.
I don’t blame Hopkins for his deciding to right by his mentor. The autopsy of the situation is if Hopkins didn’t leave then a lot changed. I get why Hopkins did it but my statement is just the results and I am not intending to appear like I am mad at Hopkins about it’s just the result of decisions.

Last edited:

So basically having an AD doing what all big boys were doing for a long time is an accomplishment.
Wildhack has done an average job. All AD’s raise money. The fact our previous ones weren’t doing it as well is an indictment on them.
The IPF was before Wildhack was named AD.
The renovation of the Dome HAD TO BE DONE. That wasn’t Wildhack’s decision and the renovation was actually the cheapest alternative.

Again the guy is doing okay but if he isn’t going to stand up to his HOF and let’s him call his own shots then he isn’t doing a good job.

So basically having an AD doing what all big boys were doing for a long time is an accomplishment.
Wildhack has done an average job. All AD’s raise money. The fact our previous ones weren’t doing it as well is an indictment on them.
The IPF was before Wildhack was named AD.
The renovation of the Dome HAD TO BE DONE. That wasn’t Wildhack’s decision and the renovation was actually the cheapest alternative.

Again the guy is doing okay but if he isn’t going to stand up to his HOF and let’s him call his own shots then he isn’t doing a good job.
If you've read any of the posts from people who are closer to the situation, you would know JB is not exclusively an ADJW decision. BOT would have to be involved and approve that decision also.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom