Hop brought back for next year at UW…. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hop brought back for next year at UW….

In no way is this on Hopkins.

I think attendance is beginning to show just how much SU cares about how the fans feel about the situation.
You aren’t getting the point. Like the Butterfly effect. If Hop doesn’t leave then we get change. Again I am not upset or mad at Hopkins. He showed loyalty and respect to a mentor/family.

That said if he stuck to the plan that was on paper and waited one more year we get change.

Thus my statement.

You aren’t getting the point. Like the Butterfly effect. If Hop doesn’t leave then we get change. Again I am not upset or mad at Hopkins. He showed loyalty and respect to a mentor/family.

That said if he stuck to the plan that was on paper and waited one more year we get change.

Thus my statement.
But we wouldn’t have seen the change you expected. Everyone knows JB was staying on.

If you've read any of the posts from people who are closer to the situation, you would know JB is not exclusively an ADJW decision. BOT would have to be involved and approve that decision also. But I'm sure you know that...
That is a major problem if true. If the BOT are involving themselves in a decision on a coach that is completely taking the ball out of the person hired to do the job.

If the BOT want to be involved in financial decisions like spending tens of millions of dollars I get it. They should have absolutely nothing at all with coaching matters unless it’s approving a major extension.

This is very disappointing if true. Shame on the BOT doing this if true.

Thus my statement.
An insider already told you that this is wrong. Hop left because the head coach wanted to keep coaching. Not sure where the disconnect is here

An insider already told you that this is wrong. Hop left because the head coach wanted to keep coaching. Not sure where the disconnect is here
The insider didn’t dispute that Hop had a contract to take over and would have.
So I don’t get your point. If Hop stayed one more year as assistant he takes over as HC.
He had a contract to do so. Hop left for Coach to continue but if Hop doesn’t leave he takes over. It would have been uncomfortable but again it was in pen and paper.

In many ways, I see hop very similar to Dino. I think that Mike would be an unbelievable face of the program, would definitely great with the alumni, and really connect with players and recruits.

However, like Dino, he needs help with coordinators. I think Mike needs an offensive coach on his staff, someone to run the offense. The other thing that I think he really struggles with, is being the bad cop. I watch his teams, and he lets players play through their mistakes probably too much than he should. I know we all hate the way JB rips kinds in press conferences and yanks them after the first mistake, but we’ve also seen that over the years that has been an effective tool and getting kids to play the way you want. And I realize that’s not true in all cases.
The lack of desire to be the bad guy is exactly what I’ve seen when I’ve watched as well. Reminds me of my sons hs coach. He never pulled a kid after a mistake because the coach he played for in hs ripped kids worse than JB does. He actually took it a bit further and pulled kids when they were cooking. My son had like 10 points in a row and got us the lead so he decided that resting him at that moment was a good idea. Yeah, we lost that game.

So basically having an AD doing what all big boys were doing for a long time is an accomplishment.
Wildhack has done an average job. All AD’s raise money. The fact our previous ones weren’t doing it as well is an indictment on them.
The IPF was before Wildhack was named AD.
The renovation of the Dome HAD TO BE DONE. That wasn’t Wildhack’s decision and the renovation was actually the cheapest alternative.

Again the guy is doing okay but if he isn’t going to stand up to his HOF and let’s him call his own shots then he isn’t doing a good job.
Yes, the BoT rate the ADs based on donations… that has always been how it works. Donations are up, and that’s all the BoT cares about. I’m not sure what you’re arguing here, until the system proves to be problematic for the university - aka donations decline - they’re not getting rid of him. You can make removal the schools prerogative by… not donating! Performance is frankly, secondary.

Ha, well if this board has the nerve to knock Hop as a potential next HC here, keep the same energy when Red or G-Mac brings us below BC in the ACC.

1672670631167-png.223854

View attachment 223854

Based on this, we already started our downhill slide in Hop's last 3 years on the staff.

Last edited:
I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly

bungled-personal-flight-attempt-1.jpg

So I don’t get your point. If Hop stayed one more year as assistant he takes over as HC.
He had a contract to do so. Hop left for Coach to continue but if Hop doesn’t leave he takes over. It would have been uncomfortable but again it was in pen and paper.

Your posts have been logical, but the part you aren't factoring in is that the year before that transition was supposed to occur, Buddy emerged as a legit D1 / P5 prospect, and JB decided that instead of stepping away, he wanted to coach his son for the next four years. Hopkins saw that, and decided not to wait any longer.

There's no way JB was going to step away at the predefined timeline, in the middle of Buddy's college career.

There's about 100 threads on this topic since this happened, and what went down according to people in the know. Brush up and get back. This topic like about 5 others, is a dam merry go round, year after year.

But that’s the thing he wouldn’t have taken over, more than likely he would have had to sue and it’s gets messy. He also didn’t want to force out a mentor/ father figure.

As were the preceding sentences.

Anyone who talks about JB like he's a middle-level staffer needs to stop posting.
Who is talking about Coach Boeheim like he is a mid level staffer.
He has been treated with respect. That said his behavior towards the NCAA caused the portions of our punishment we received. That loyalty from the fans and school has been returned.

He isn’t producing now. He haven’t been good for a while.
Wanting change isn’t treating him like a mid level staffer. I have been given info in DMs since this thread started in the last hour that I could spill but won’t. It wouldn’t be stuff you like based on your affinity for the AD. Coach Boeheim should thank Hopkins for stopping a messy situation.

Coach is not bigger than program.

There's about 100 threads on this topic since this happened, and what went down according to people in the know. Brush up and get back. This topic like about 5 others, is a dam merry go round, year after year.
Fair enough but I have been given an education that I am not posting which is very frustrating to say the least.

He has been treated with respect. That said his behavior towards the NCAA caused the portions of our punishment we received. That loyalty from the fans and school has been returned.

Wanting change isn’t treating him like a mid level staffer. I have been given info in DMs since this thread started in the last hour that I could spill but won’t. It wouldn’t be stuff you like based on your affinity for the AD.

SU’s allowing him to be the program.

He has been treated with respect. That said his behavior towards the NCAA portions of our punishment.
Wanting change isn’t treating him like a mid level staffer. I have been given info in DMs since this thread started in the last hour that I could spill but won’t. It wouldn’t be stuff you like based on your affinity for the AD.

You are. You talk about ADJW letting JB go like he's the receptionist.

Guys throwing rocks at the AD really don't have a clue of the world of alternatives. ADJW is putting his career on the line with the infrastructure needs SU has to have to entertain you.

Here is a hot take… the problem with the HCJB coaching philosophy isn’t the zone it’s the offense. Since the title, JB’s offenses have always been dependent on having a couple of players who can beat their guy 1:1. He doesn’t seem to do much anymore to create good shots from a system perspective with movement or screens. When I see fun teams to watch like Creighton or Nova before their recruiting took off, I was always jealous that they had 5 dudes who could do damage on offense and they generated a good look almost every time. Even this year I really enjoyed Cornell’s style of play, even though they didn’t have the athletes to stay with us for 40 minutes.

I could care less about the d… get me someone who can coach a good offense. I’d prefer to watch that over a broken offense that’s all based on 1:1 plays.
The stats don’t back this up. The defense has been mostly much worse the past five or six seasons. The zone started going downhill the White/Gillon season.

Your posts have been logical, but the part you aren't factoring in is that the year before that transition was supposed to occur, Buddy emerged as a legit D1 / P5 prospect, and JB decided that instead of stepping away, he wanted to coach his son for the next four years. Hopkins saw that, and decided not to wait any longer.

There's no way JB was going to step away at the predefined timeline, in the middle of Buddy's college career.
Yeah this stuff I am leaving out because I get it. Buddy was a great player we were lucky to have. Class kid. Never said anything but positive stuff.

I wish maybe then Coach could have timed his retirement with eligibility expiring. I am surprised Buddy didn’t come back for a 5th year. We could use a player like him at SF.

Maybe. Of course, he got a boost in salary for year one at Washington ($2M vs $600K - my guess). An attractive HC job on the West Coast, where he grew up, no worries about JB's preference to keep coaching, or JB's shadow. More than one factor in the decision.

Maybe. Of course, he got a boost in salary for year one at Washington ($2M vs $600K - my guess). An attractive HC job on the West Coast, where he grew up, no worries about JB's preference to keep coaching, or JB's shadow. More than one factor in the decision.
Oh absolutely I was just simplifying it.

You are. You talk about ADJW letting JB go like he's the receptionist.

Guys throwing rocks at the AD really don't have a clue of the world of alternatives. ADJW is putting his career on the line with the infrastructure needs SU has to have to entertain you.
I can’t disagree with this enough. But I am not respond to it anymore. I have knowledge on the SU AD how it has operated. Have a nice day.
I am sure you were fine with the response to the men’s lacrosse and women’s basketball issues as well.
Wildhack has been average at best and his responses to both of those have been poor.

I can’t disagree with this enough. But I am not respond to it anymore. I have knowledge on the SU AD how it has operated. Have a nice day.
I am sure you were fine with the response to the men’s lacrosse and women’s basketball issues as well.
Wildhack has been average at best and his responses to both of those have been poor.
If that’s the criteria you wish to judge him on I get that point of view.

As were the preceding sentences.

Anyone who talks about JB like he's a middle-level staffer needs to stop posting.
Nobody is posting that JB is a mid-level staffer. If he was he would have been dismissed for being mediocre, or maybe not as it has worked for Dino.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom