Hop - Pac 12 COY | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hop - Pac 12 COY

That "People complained about Hopkins' nine games" horse had been beaten into glue.

C96568F0-7B70-4F82-843C-8CF1708C15B6.jpeg

Congrats to Hop! I'm going to be candid. When he went to Washington, I didn't think it was that bad a thing for the program. No, I wasn't judging based on the nine games, but I felt we were getting an unknown quantity as he had only worked as an assistant, whereas we had stability with JB. Now we may be much stronger next year (though I think this is far from certain) when we have a better roster, but clearly Hop has proven he can coach. I just can't see how this would be considered a fluke after the awful season Washington had last year. I hope his success continues.

Great honor for Hop!

I never wanted him to follow JB because I didn’t want him to be the guy following the legend.

Few sports maxims are truer than the guaranteed failure of the new coach who follows the legend.

Don’t argue Bill Guthridge at UNC because he kept the seat warm as none of Carolina’s proven coaches wanted to follow Dean (Roy, Karl, Larry Brown, understood the maxim).

They waited for a lesser candidate like Matt Doherty to crater the program. Droopy speaks slowly and sounds dim but he’s no dummy.

I know many think Hop stays at UW forever but Roy left Kansas for UNC. Things change.

Great honor for Hop!

I never wanted him to follow JB because I didn’t want him to be the guy following the legend.

Few sports maxims are truer than the guaranteed failure of the new coach who follows the legend.

Don’t argue Bill Guthridge at UNC because he kept the seat warm as none of Carolina’s proven coaches wanted to follow Dean (Roy, Karl, Larry Brown, understood the maxim).

They waited for a lesser candidate like Matt Doherty to crater the program. Droopy speaks slowly and sounds dim but he’s no dummy.

I know many think Hop stays at UW forever but Roy left Kansas for UNC. Things change.

This. I'm very happy for Mike and a little envious that he's not at SU, but following Boeheim was going to be a no-win situation for him. Even if he did well, there would have been loud people resentful that he didn't do well enough. So this is good for him.

Unless there are some significant changes, Hop is not coming back to SU to coach.

He has a love for Syracuse that's unmatched... It's why he stayed on so long. He wants the Cuse job. But I think with Boehiem staying on so long he needed to move on and build a resume. And Pac 12 coach of the year certainly helps do that. He now has experience turning a team around. Id give it about 3 years... The only question is will we still want him after.

There is a 0% chance that JB stops coaching willingly while his kid is on the team. ZIP. NADA. NOTHING.

Congrats to Hoppy. If he makes a move it will probably be to the NBA, his work with USA Basketball not only fed his hunger to put a stamp on his own program but also fueled his drive to work with the best of the best. Would not be shocked to see him on the sideline in the League. Jimmy B had NBA offers that he turned down, Hoppy might not be able to resist the urge to coach at the top level.

Happy for Hop. He is The Man!!! Will always root for him unless he is facing SU.

However, JB has earned the right to go out the way he wants and JB is the coach I’d rather have, by a long shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom