Hope I'm wrong | Syracusefan.com

Hope I'm wrong

DonLightfoot

All Conference
After having such success with the three ball versus OSU I am concerned that we may go back to jacking up too many in the games ahead rather than stay with the "tried and true" driving to the hoop. We probably all agree that 50% will not be a constant for us from outside. However, if the heaven above has sprinkled our hands with magic dust and it continues, then so be it. I for one am not betting the farm on it. Play good D and drive on O :)

Going into last night's game SU ranked 350 out of 351 NCAA D-1 schools in 3-point shooting % at 23.3%, 24 of 103. After last night's hot shooting we are now 27.5%. Tied for 325th without knowing the stats from other teams from last night. Last night the team shot 45 times with 24 of them being 3s. The only 3-pointers that SU shot that seemed like bad shots to me were one each by Battle and Carey. I'm probably forgetting some others. I agree with Cusefan0307 that the 3-point shot is the name of today's game. I also agree with DonLightFoot that I'm hoping the team does not let last night's success with 3s take over. Go to the hoop, especially when the other team does not have a great interior defense.

The 3 point shot rules the roost these days. We need to be around 38% for the year to be successful and I think we will.
Agree 100% I think too many are shot, not by just SU but everyone. That being said we will be a better shooting team this year, just did not start seeing it until last night, Howard makes a huge difference not only in his shooting, but everyone else getting good looks. Marek needs too shoot more!:)

Many of last night's 3's came off of drives and kicks, as Hughes and Howard know how to fill the gaps for open shots. I'll take those all year from those two, Battle and, I'm sure at some point, Buddy.

They haven't seemed to take many GOOD 3's this year, nor to start last night. But these guys can definitely step into and knock down open 3's. Given the ability for Battle, Frank, and Carey to drive well, I hope they continue to kick out for good shots, especially to Hughes, as his stroke is really beautiful. Oshae, while able to drive, insists on finishing (terribly) so I'm not sure we'll see that from him.

The 3 point shot rules the roost these days. We need to be around 38% for the year to be successful and I think we will.
I am going to let you know now ... as a team, SU will NOT be shooting 38% from 3 this season. This, I will guarantee.

The team was only successful last night because they moved the basketball and penetrated before settling on a jumper. When they stopped driving in the second half Boeheim reamed them. This is the value of Frank Howard. He understands this basic principle. He almost always steps into the defense on a possession.

Its hard to argue when this team drives and kicks out versus just throwing the ball around the perimeter and jacking up 3's. For all his goofiness, Dakich was right in talking about getting into the lane and this offense's success.

I am going to let you know now ... as a team, SU will NOT be shooting 38% from 3 this season. This, I will guarantee.

Good talk.

I think Frank and Hughes can get near 40%. Frank shot 38 percent in ACC play last year. Dolezaj looks improved. He can shoot 40% I think.

Battle and Brissett are the wildcards here.

That said all the best teams make 3’s these days.!That’s how teams like Villanova and Michigan win each year.

After having such success with the three ball versus OSU I am concerned that we may go back to jacking up too many in the games ahead rather than stay with the "tried and true" driving to the hoop. We probably all agree that 50% will not be a constant for us from outside. However, if the heaven above has sprinkled our hands with magic dust and it continues, then so be it. I for one am not betting the farm on it. Play good D and drive on O :)
They all take them so we need to take them too. And get good at it. Marek showed a sweet stroke. They are getting comfortable now and we do have good shooters. Hell is coming

with no real inside presence rule of thumb is if we shoot 20 % we lose shoot 50% and we got a chance.

At this point we needed a game with Frank that showed we could shoot and make 3’s. Anyone scouting us was going to scheme the defense to make us take 3’s. We had to and still have to prove we can make them to see different defensive schemes. Personally I’m was fine with almost all the 3’s that were taken other than Carey’s rushed one.

One of the keys is not to play on a court with the NBA three. I’ve noticed we take way too many threes from behind the NBA three when the court is marked with the NBA three. No one on this team has range from that line. At MSG the majority of our shots were out of range for our players. Their ego’s take over when on an NBA court. It happens every year.

One of the keys is not to play on a court with the NBA three. I’ve noticed we take way too many threes from behind the NBA three when the court is marked with the NBA three. No one on this team has range from that line. At MSG the majority of our shots were out of range for our players. Their ego’s take over when on an NBA court. It happens every year.
As one of the previous color announcers said, college players are taking the Golden State approach and keep moving out. Watch how deep all college players are taking them now days. 2 steps beyond the arc is almost NORMAL!

We’ll see. They will need to take a lot of threes most likely since they won’t get much if anything inside. We shoot jumpers. We’ll live or die with that until we get a C who can make a simple post move. If they thought beating OSU was a Super Bowl win then tonight will be a struggle for a W.

Our pace will still keep the possessions lower. Need to be more efficient, obviously. We’re up to 99 in the country in Floor % so that’s getting a little better. Gotta keep getting to the line also. We’re still 6 in the country. 27% of our scoring is from the FT line. That’s a good thing with an offensively challenged group. If we make 11 threes a game like against OSU then things will be pretty good. Doesn’t seem likely though. JB said in the presser that they probably shot the ball a little better than expected.

I would say lets be patient and let Frank get his game legs under him. I think Frank playing more minutes would mean more steals hopefully fastbreaks, JB can press some and dictate pace of game more. I really think this team can be really be ok on offense, not having Frank all preseason, Jalen and HW being hurt too really hurt this teams development on offense!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom