Hopkins Gameday... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins Gameday...

It was a tough loss but they fought till the end, a trait that had I feel had gone away for a few years
Bad news is we may be losing Clary.. looked like an ACL.. just an observation from being at the game
Good news Dwan looked good out there in his place
Thomson looked better at attack, played 2nd and third there.. Kirst played 4th at attack, liked him better out of the box
This is a young team and I am enjoying watching them grow
defense look better with Avilies back from injury
The season isn’t over … might be a LONG shot to make playoffs but you can’t make a championship team in one offseason
Couple of bad calls against us
Some bad decisions were made, and I also agree with some saying give some other kids some runs .. not gonna be one the bash players, but we can’t have our upperclassman making freshman mistakes.
Go Cuse!! Keep growing!!

Anybody else check out the post game presser? I've seen wakes that were more upbeat. That was a tough watch, players looked beyond defeated. Gait doesn't seem to have any answers, kept saying the right things but looked like he was just going through motions. He kept saying this team will go on a run and he believes in them but when sort of half challenged on it had no real response. Not an encouraging situation right now to say the least.

Mikey Powell ain't walking through that door. We have two weeks to get things right before the gauntlet resumes.

Ya its very concerning the same issues from last year keep popping up.

It's almost an entirely new group of contributors, many of whom are still young and/or inexperienced. The gap in physicality and mentality between guys that are 18-19 and ones that are 21-22 (or older given the COVID reset) is vast. Winning at this level is a learned trait (and its a combination of mentality and physicality).

How many grad students, seniors, and juniors are contributing right now? Compare that to what is being run out at the teams that are beating us. Compare that to what's on the field at UVA and Notre Dame.

I think the team has it's level- ahead of pretty much all mid majors, but a notch below the major programs, and two notches below the best programs. Let's see what the progression is next season and the one after. Win the next three. And then find a way to win two or more out of Princeton and the remaining ACC games without being completely blown off the field, and I'd call it a successful step forward.

It's almost an entirely new group of contributors, many of whom are still young and/or inexperienced. The gap in physicality and mentality between guys that are 18-19 and ones that are 21-22 (or older given the COVID reset) is vast. Winning at this level is a learned trait (and its a combination of mentality and physicality).

How many grad students, seniors, and juniors are contributing right now? Compare that to what is being run out at the teams that are beating us. Compare that to what's on the field at UVA and Notre Dame.

I think the team has it's level- ahead of pretty much all mid majors, but a notch below the major programs, and two notches below the best programs. Let's see what the progression is next season and the one after. Win the next three. And then find a way to win two or more out of Princeton and the remaining ACC games without being completely blown off the field, and I'd call it a successful step forward.

Well said

Can someone explain to me what Hiltz’s end game ‘pass’ was ? Was it even a pass?
I'd have to rewatch but I thought his stick got hit by the defender while he was passing/shooting.

Very well said.

Well hope these last 4 games and loses don’t completely drain confidence in these kids. Mean after lost to hopkins in presser mark looked like he was just gone. I hope gait is smart enough coach to make sure let these guys know they are right there in pulling these out but not there yet but to keep their heads up. I worry if gets worst in final stretch some kids n talent look else where. This team def improved from last year as they are least competing in these games and last two def had chance to win. Hope they didn’t think would turn this program around in single year with the freshman we got in. Mean lars tiff believe eventually won chip in his third year of coaching uva. Which was also first year they beat acc team after losing them them every time year prior. So hope these kids continue put work in and keep heads high as they are going against bunch of teams that prob will win chip and be in it or least semifinalist. Hasn’t been complete blow outs yet. Maryland game and unc prob weren’t in threat of winning those games but they least battled hard to keep it close. Duke and hopkins they def had chance to win and duke and hopkins prob should of won. These next 3 games should win but feel till they beat a rank team this team gonna feel some type of way till that happens.

Would really like to see them atleast compete against notre dame and uva as think be very hard to win those games but if can keep it within 4goals or less think that’s a win. Considered last year both teams blew us away and last 4 or 5 times against notre dame just been killed. Syracuse schedule is never easy so sure takes toll when losing close games. But also feel coaches arnt doing enough in game adjustments to help them out. As know many mention it before as i have playing the same few guys over and over again. I watched dukes game n before they even blow teams away they play alot of guys on offense. Maby not getting ton of runs but least 3-4 runs of 3rd line guys. Also worry now that teams saw if pole kirst he disappears. Yes can feast on short sticks but when has pole on him he just doesn’t have speed to beat them. But i still think this team is right there and if can fix few things n put everything together at once be really tough team to beat. Let’s go orange

Honestly not impressed with March and Gait has me wavering.

He almost blew it not calling a TO on the chaotic end game clear and then him not calling TO when Thompson was on his back with the ball was a head scratcher. Might seem minor but those little things drive me crazy. We’re even lucky to have had a final possession.
Was brought to my attention that last two games with game on the line coach March designs plays that do not include Spallina Hiltz or Thompson All three were having very good games. Finding chemistry together spallina playing more of the QB role so caught up on Short stick matchups instead go designing plays to playmakers very frustrating loss and bad situational coaching after last week to make the same mistake is maddening This is a young talented group that are doing their part IMO

Well... its been another weekend of pain. On the one hand I could point to things like the offense getting good looks but not finishing, Goalie play for Hop being a main factor in them winning, the D holding Hop to 11 despite our best cover guy going down on the first play of the game, improved faceoff play, etc. I could mention the youth/inexperience. Could say that I thought we looked like the better/more talented team for a lot of the game and probably win at least 4 or 5 against hop if we played them 10 times.

I believe all of that. But at this point you can't ignore that this new staff has basically won only 1 game against opponents at a similar skill level, that game being Duke last year. Every other game, UNC, Cornell, Army and Hop last year, UNC Duke and Hop this year, we have lost. They have shown no ability to close games against opponents working with similar levels of talent. They are not saying or doing the things that need to be done to close these games. Hell if I know what that is, but it is too painful to watch these winnable games fall out from under us every single time. The trend is impossible to ignore. What we have done is nearly given up losses to inferior teams (Hobart last year and UVM this year) and even lost on one occasion (Albany last year).

I don't think the problem is a lack of effort by players or staff. I don't think they will just fold the rest of the season. UVA and ND games are two golden tickets to the tourney if you can pull of the upset. At this point everyone from players to fans needs a flicker of hope. Dont mess up these next couple weeks obviously, but PLEASE fight like your life depends on it to win against UNC Duke and Princeton. All are talented but flawed teams that we can beat. The staff has to show they can win one or two of those games. You simply cannot lose every game to teams playing at a similar level to us.

Could probably argue with some of the smaller points and examples people gave on this thread, but the big picture issue of us not closing these winnable games against good but beatable opponents is unavoidable. Gotta say this has been the most agonizing stretch I have ever had to deal with in my lifetime as a cuse fan. Sick of getting laughed at. Wish I was more fan than fanatic. Praying like hell that this is not a long term issue with this new staff, but it gets harder to have faith in them with every new heartbreaking result. Trying to not get too depressed about it. Was still a very fun time honoring the great Mikey Powell at the dome with friends and family. Lot's of good moments that day despite the ending.

Well... its been another weekend of pain. On the one hand I could point to things like the offense getting good looks but not finishing, Goalie play for Hop being a main factor in them winning, the D holding Hop to 11 despite our best cover guy going down on the first play of the game, improved faceoff play, etc. I could mention the youth/inexperience. Could say that I thought we looked like the better/more talented team for a lot of the game and probably win at least 4 or 5 against hop if we played them 10 times.

I believe all of that. But at this point you can't ignore that this new staff has basically won only 1 game against opponents at a similar skill level, that game being Duke last year. Every other game, UNC, Cornell, Army and Hop last year, UNC Duke and Hop this year, we have lost. They have shown no ability to close games against opponents working with similar levels of talent. They are not saying or doing the things that need to be done to close these games. Hell if I know what that is, but it is too painful to watch these winnable games fall out from under us every single time. The trend is impossible to ignore. What we have done is nearly given up losses to inferior teams (Hobart last year and UVM this year) and even lost on one occasion (Albany last year).

I don't think the problem is a lack of effort by players or staff. I don't think they will just fold the rest of the season. UVA and ND games are two golden tickets to the tourney if you can pull of the upset. At this point everyone from players to fans needs a flicker of hope. Dont mess up these next couple weeks obviously, but PLEASE fight like your life depends on it to win against UNC Duke and Princeton. All are talented but flawed teams that we can beat. The staff has to show they can win one or two of those games. You simply cannot lose every game to teams playing at a similar level to us.

Could probably argue with some of the smaller points and examples people gave on this thread, but the big picture issue of us not closing these winnable games against good but beatable opponents is unavoidable. Gotta say this has been the most agonizing stretch I have ever had to deal with in my lifetime as a cuse fan. Sick of getting laughed at. Wish I was more fan than fanatic. Praying like hell that this is not a long term issue with this new staff, but it gets harder to have faith in them with every new heartbreaking result. Trying to not get too depressed about it. Was still a very fun time honoring the great Mikey Powell at the dome with friends and family. Lot's of good moments that day despite the ending.
spot on almost how i feel these last 4 games. Just straight heartbreak and agree gotta find way to close games out and think falls on both players and coaches. I also feel problem with closing games is inexperience as when game is on the line who do teams turn to? Your senior stars is who teams turn to. Seniors for us is cook.kirst and simmons really which are good but i don’t believe any of them ever had been called to make play in big moments. Feel that is where we lack a bit as last year we could ask curry or tucker in that spot. Duke has o’neil uva has shallenberger who both can take their guy or make a big time play. I just don’t think kirst or simmons n def not cook are that type of player. Simmons is more a feeder (till he starts landing his shot) and kirst we saw if pole him he isn’t able to beat them. Cook has never lived up to his potential in my eyes. The rest are all young n besides maby joey(feel this kid don’t care and wants it in his hands despite being freshman or birt(poor shot vs duke) could see them all not wanting game in their hands. But def lack a true dodger to get defense moving or sliding. So feel coaches in tight games need to come up with diff way to end games as the seniors have in my eyes arnt guys that are take over players. Hopefully after these next 3 games n hope wins they really start taking down some of rank teams. Grant watching us lose close games is brutal but do believe we def have talent to win.

Said it before also i really like to see some other players on offense get few runs a game. Mean have cordes, kempney and even that tenaglia or whatever seemed to be able to dodge and shot in the very limit time saw him play. Even some of the subs in blow out games had some nice play or moves. If someone isn’t really helping the team (cough cough cook cough) maby try someone else that may offer something even lil more. Very interested in seeing dwan on d even tho ment lost clary. Dwan looked really good and very physical. Something feel defense is lacking specially when sliding never seem to be full speed or always hesitant. Mean these next 3 games if win all be nice feeling but it’s a win vs a rank or good Quality team i wish to see. Either way not giving up on this team and i hope they start putting it together. Gonna be tough as we have played or will play the top 4 teams(uva,dame,duke,maryland )right now n play 1 of them twice (duke) so schedule isn’t gonna ever be easy.

-In an effort to keep things positive, I don't think you can blame the scheme for the last two offensive possessions. Rolling with Kirst as initiator looked like the right move. 1st one he draws attention against the short stick and we send cutters through to take attention off Birtwistle up top. He gets a wide freaking open shot from 11 yards well inside the hash-marks with time to wind it up...what more can you ask for. Cant believe he didn't finish there.

-Next possession we go with him again even though he has a long pole on him, after the first look with Leo went nowhere. He still draws a slide of the Spallina back pick and tries to pass it to a completely wide open Thomson on the doorstep. Pass gets through the defenders stick and it is an easy goal. Trying to pass it in there was the right move. Unlikely a higher percentage look was on its way. D guy batted it down and we don't get any sort of friendly bounce on the gb. Dont fault Kirst for trying to feed him but maybe he rushed the pass.

-No problem with the game plan on either of those possessions. A scoring opportunity came from each of them. Maybe could have put more effort into creating space on the iso for Leo on the second one, but that's about it. The clearing and defense in crunch time were more suspect. Needed a big save from Mark on an open Degnon shot as well as a wide open pipe shot from Angelus to even have a chance to tie. Hard to get mad at a defense that held their own most of the game, but we got lucky there to even have a shot to tie. D was also tired after several long Hop possessions. Clearing issues and turnovers seem to only come up when we absolutely cannot afford it. We are solid overall in both categories statistically, especially turnovers, but would be curious what the 1st vs. 2nd half stats and 4th quarter stats are.

not fault defense at all. And mark has been stellar so far but do feel the go ahead goal the one right on left side mark jumped in air dude was falling down think if mark stays firm n matches stick think he prevents that goal as wasn’t much of angle. I was just saying how confident do you feel with game on the line the ball in kirst or simmons stick? Honestly i feel better with it in hiltz or joey or birt is my opinion. i agree kirst look was right as thompson was wide open but kirst has to get that ball there good play by defender but that’s my point he needs make sure that pass gets to thompson. I’m also saying think we need more alley dodgers. Who shoots on the run down alley or even across top? Kirst has scored few times down alley but with short stick on him but tends to take some low angle shots also grant stuck a few of them. But feel need someone like a trimboli or curry someone can just speed down alley on run to shoot or dish. We have a lot of great finishers but not a true dodger. I think defense played well and agree poor turnovers in offense hurt more then anything. Wasn’t hating on scheme was just saying i me my person opinion feel kirst or simmons havent had a lot of experience being that guy. Think their both good players not taking anything from them.

Team and program is too depressing for me to talk about. I was at the game and didn’t get a chance to listen… how was Molloy on the call?

Team and program is too depressing for me to talk about. I was at the game and didn’t get a chance to listen… how was Molloy on the call?

I actually enjoyed his commentary. Unfortunately, he was with an uninformed Newhouse commentator that is unbearable.

How come every game not just cuse game is completely diff people calling games. They trying new thing as having students going to school for it call games. Is it to save money? Or is espn that cheap? Haven’t watched all games but haven’t heard one with anish yet. He normally does a lot of cuse games and forgive me if i’m wrong isn’t he cuse alum?

I thought molloy was good. He looked little frozen stiff at times when camera was on him. But he knows the game and had good advice and explained things very well specially of course goalie play.

I actually enjoyed his commentary. Unfortunately, he was with an uninformed Newhouse commentator that is unbearable.

The Newhouse guys have been better then the first few games where they were all over the map and spouting out every lax cliche ever invested. That said their still wrong on a lot of details that they need to clean up. It is at least trending in a better direction.

as others have said, he was pretty good for his 1st time out. he could drop a couple of the glory days shoutouts to himself, but it wasn't that many and again, 1st time out.

knowledgable, picked up on some stuff most commentators miss, pretty balanced and easy to listen to. doesn't get bogged down in ridiculous storylines. he should be back.

How come every game not just cuse game is completely diff people calling games. They trying new thing as having students going to school for it call games. Is it to save money? Or is espn that cheap? Haven’t watched all games but haven’t heard one with anish yet. He normally does a lot of cuse games and forgive me if i’m wrong isn’t he cuse alum?

ACCNX streaming games use local talent.

You should watch some WLAX games when SU plays on the road.

Anish and Carc will be along later in the season when we're on ESPNU.

I have watched the woman’s cuse games. Normally always watch them if can. Missed most of the woman’s last game vs notre dame but did see maryland game northwestern game pitt game and some off albany.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom