Hopkins Gameday... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins Gameday...

Didn’t catch a ton of the game to be honest, will watch on Monday but one observation… Mule is a menace on the ride. Ruined Hops chances on the final possession. Should’ve resulted in the OT winner against Army. He has solidified his spot

He's ramped it up big time from Army forward. Really showing what the hype was about

It's a big win for sure, but the standard seems arbitrary. What's more important is getting to the top of the ACC. How can you win a Natty when you can't compete with the best of your conference? I think GoSU96 had it right- win out non confernece and get at least 2 ACC wins.

It's a big win for sure, but the standard seems arbitrary. What's more important is getting to the top of the ACC. How can you win a Natty when you can't compete with the best of your conference? I think GoSU96 had it right- win out non confernece and get at least 2 ACC wins.
1710075345394.jpeg

Waking up and looking around at various Hopkins fans coping is so damn satisfying. Favorite so far might be blaming the wet field and behind schedule start time. Two things that for sure only had an effect on Hopkins! And of course now the face off X is a perfectly good excuse! We are also a worse team than the teams they beat. Obviously. Hopkins tears hit different. They really want to speak to the manager.

Waking up and looking around at various Hopkins fans coping is so damn satisfying. Favorite so far might be blaming the wet field and behind schedule start time. Two things that for sure only had an effect on Hopkins! And of course now the face off X is a perfectly good excuse! We are also a worse team than the teams they beat. Obviously. Hopkins tears hit different. They really want to speak to the manager.
So are you saying that Hopkins is the Karen of college lacrosse?

I’m not trying to be a downer. It’s a big win. But if we win one of Maryland or Army, we’re a top 5 team. If UVA had their main fogo and beat Hop, maybe Hop is ranked where we are. It’s not like College football. Where teams are ranked is very fluid in D1 lacrosse.

I’m sorry, I just don’t look at things as unequivocally as most here. A great win is a great win. What difference does it make if Hop is #2, 4, or. 10?

This team can play with anyone. I’ve said so all year.

Last edited:
So are you saying that Hopkins is the Karen of college lacrosse?
Honestly not so much in recent years. Harder to be that way when the team is not so great. But now they are getting back to being a top team so some of the tendencies from their older era may be coming back.

Gotta say joey very skilled lax player very smart but def has to improve on his press skills lol. Seems he is nervous when talking to press or trying to find perfect words to say. Rather him be super talented lax player then good press guy lol.

Gotta say joey very skilled lax player very smart but def has to improve on his press skills lol. Seems he is nervous when talking to press or trying to find perfect words to say. Rather him be super talented lax player then good press guy lol.

I believe he has a bit of a stutter, I think he does pretty good, tough to be in the spotlight so much.

Oddly enough I don't see any of their fans mentioning the 2 min non-releasable penalty in the 1st half that they could have capitalized on and maybe go up 2-3 goals (think they were up one at that point?). For the lack of possessions they had it's their EMO that let them down big time last night.

Oddly enough I don't see any of their fans mentioning the 2 min non-releasable penalty in the 1st half that they could have capitalized on and maybe go up 2-3 goals (think they were up one at that point?). For the lack of possessions they had it's their EMO that let them down big time last night.
Blew a lot of clears as well, which has nothing to do with the X. Our wing play was also a big factor. Not just Kohn and Mullen.

Out and about in NYC tonight and couldn’t see everything, but was really impressed with what I did see.

As mentioned, performance at the X was huge.
I was watching on Stone Street in FiDi lol. Weather was unbelievably bad.

Got no criticism of the game.. great win .. lost my voice .. lol... trip was well worth it!!!

Great game! Cool venue with the city's skyline in the backdrop...depending upon one's vantage point.

Looking forward to going back there for the ACC Tournament in early May, hopefully 'Cuse will be there!

The only complaint I had was the damn concessions, etc. Took forever to get a beer as they didn't have many locations open. :)

Go Orange!

For anyone who was at the game, was the officiating really as bad as they made sound on the radio? I’ve never heard a broadcast - I know it’s Homer Radio - rip on the refs so thoroughly.

Last edited:
I’m not trying to be a downer. It’s a big win. But if we win one of Maryland or Army, we’re a top 5 team. If UVA had their main fogo and beat Hop, maybe Hop is ranked where we are. It’s not like College football. Where teams are ranked is very fluid in D1 lacrosse.

I’m sorry, I just don’t look at things as unequivocally as most here. A great win is a great win. What difference does it make if Hop is #2, 4, or. 10?

This team can play with anyone. I’ve said so all year.

Playing with anyone only gets one so far if you don’t win them. Gotta win to prove to those who just look at the final result.

For anyone who was at the game, was the officiating really as bad as they made sound on the radio? I’ve never heard a broadcast - I know it’s Homer Radio - rip on the refs so thoroughly.
I’ll watch it tomorrow but the official with the shiny shoes was annoying..lmao

Thought Spallina really played within himself today. Didn’t press, didn’t force. Only really one time (and it was at the end) I thought to myself what in the heck is he doing. One time is fine (though it was crunch time but whatever) 2-4 6 pts and your team gets the W that’s perfect.

Just rewatched. Definitely Birt. He uses the head with yellow in it. Also, Rhoa doesnt play on man up.

What's funny is that Hopkins has the assist for Spallina. Cuse doesnt even have the box score up on its website. :mad:
The boxscore now up on cuse.com has the assist on our 10th goal by Finn (man up) as Birtwistle. So his first.

After watching the replay, the offense definitely still left some goals on the table. Ierlan is a part of it, but they should have capitalized on a few more in the first half, especially that horrible display of shooting/finishing on man up. The offense turned it on in a major way in the second half. If they figured it out any later, this could have easily gone like Army and MD. But this time they finally started to capitalize on more of their solid looks. 11 second half goals. And that was with us playing a more slowdown offense for the last 8 or 9 minutes. That is huge against a very hyped up Hopkins defense. That ball movement was picture perfect at times in the second. You could have a whole debate on if we pushed it a little to far in the slowdown category, but that is for another time.

Think we finally got to see a match up with a top opponent where we could flex our strength at the faceoff x. Playing MD and Army kind of gives a false image of how good they are, since playing slightly below even at the X against those teams is a big accomplishment (Army without Stevens). Both of those units are probably top 3 or 4 in the nation. This was more like what we should be seeing, given how good they are. Kohn is an animal and Mullen is just not a break at all for opposing teams. Think our special sauce is that Mullen is just as strong off the clamp as Kohn. Stevens and Olexo on the wing take it from great to elite. I could get even more long winded than I already am about what Stevens does for us.

Think this can be the winning formula against top opponents. Video game offense against a defense overwhelmed because of our advantage at the X. I really hope we can take it to UVA in a similar fashion. I also hope they can get an advantage on Will Lynch at ND and Naso at Duke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom