Hopkins to Big Ten | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins to Big Ten

No big loss, but the ACC needs Louisville to be the 6th member or we will lose the automatic bid in 3 years, and will be able to play ACC teams first round in the NCAA tournament if the committee wanted to. Would the ACC consider Hobart or one of the other ECAC schools losing their conference affiliation for partial membership?

With the pedigree in this league, I'm not sure it will matter if there's an auto or not. I could easily see 3-4 ACC teams getting into the tourny without an auto. Hell, they had 4 this year.

If the ACC wants to get to 6 they can invite anybody they want. Georgetown, Loyola, Navy, Army whoever.

Hopkins is becoming irrelevant.

...and I agree there are other teams if the ACC desires to move to six prior to another ACC coming in. However, as previously posted the issue was more the B1G and its desires on the East and Mid-Atlantic. JHU does provide another bridge for the B1G and does make its blocking strategy more apparent:

Previously posted:

One of the key questions relates to the B1G and its desire to move into the East Coast. Even with JHU only in LAX...it places the B1G more substantially into the middle of the ACC.
--even though JHU is in Maryland and the B1G already has Univ of Maryland, it does portend a problem for the ACC in the future.

The ACC already has an associative member in Notre Dame and though this is on a significantly different level, I believe that JHU brings further positive notoriety to the ACC. And JHU really does fit the ACC better than the B1G. First it it a private university of the highest academic status (Ivy League would be best for JHU but the cost of travel may be too much to cover), it resides in the middle of the ACC and it truly is a blueblood Lax competitor.

Should the ACC take one more step from equal revenue sharing and full membership by allowing JHU to become an associate member for Lax. Interestingly, JHU has its own TV contract with ESPNU...you know, that company that owns all the ACC TV rights. Could this lead to another $$$ increase for the conference...would it provide increased content for the ACC Network...does it solve the need for a team in the Maryland-DC area??????

It has been indicated (source) and others that Louisville is moving toward a Lax team...it may take a few years to get up and running at the level of the ACC Lax teams. Interestingly, JHU is looking for a 3-5 year trial time frame to determine if conference association is best for it. That timing may prove to be a major point in the discussions...there could be an end in a reasonable time frame if it doesn't work out. The question is...does this entry by the B1G into the Maryland-DC market begin to damage the ACC and its future network... It's Good to be 'Cuse!!!

So much in this tread to respond to. I cannot speak for the guys who wear the jersey now, but for anyone who was associated with SU over the last 30+ years, Hop is the rival. At game takes on a little more than all the others. They represent the southern good ole boy network that always seemed to be against SU in polls and AA voting. I also feel the move to the big ten is good for Hop, they will continue to be relevant and that is good for the game. I always looked forward to that mid march game and hope to be able to continue. The best bet for the ACC is if they can get a current member to add lacrosse (Lville, BC, NCSt, WF, anyone). I don't like the idea of one sport members, it seems like a big east move.

As for schedules, I hope SU retains Cornell, Hobart, Princeton, Hop, Villanova, Army (and play them on the road for Christ sake, we need to get tougher),and Albany. In addition to ACC, play either Hofstra or Stony Brook, Colgate and Michigan (exposure). I would expect Hop to drop Siena, Mount and Army or one of the ACC teams. They won't get ride of Albany, Petro and Marr are very tight.

I realize Hopkins is a rival, but so is Georgetown in basketball and we won't be playing them for the foreseeable future. I just think that the B1G has been declaring full out war on the ACC and trying to expand its footprint out of the dying Rustbelt into the growing MidAtlantic/Southeast, and if Hopkins wants to play the B1G and expect UVA, UNC, Duke, and SU to continue scheduling them they should realize their are consequences for their decisions. If Hopkins wouldn't get to have their cake and eat it too then it would hurt them. Syracuse doesn't need Hopkins with our ACC schedule going to be difficult, and playing Princeton, Cornell, Albany, Canisius, Army makes our schedule hard enough where we don't need Hopkins.

If we don't play another B1G team in any sport I would be okay with that.

The big 10 adding Md and Rutgers is an attempt to expand into the northeast and mid-Atlantic. Adding Hop for lacrosse is filling a sixth spot for an AQ with a legendary program and adds instant credibility to the new league. I highly doubt Hop lacrosse gets any cable providers to add the big ten network, but maybe I am undervaluing lacrosse.

Also, the hop/gtown comparison is slightly off based on number of out of conference games available. Lax has to fill at least 9 games and I want rivals and solid programs in those slots.

Just a few opinions:

Syracuse' lax schedule will only be marginally impacted by joining the ACC. We generally play several ACC teams already, no significant change.

JHU will likely remain a regular on the schedule. No need to drop them and they are probably 1 or 2 on everyone's lax rivalry list for the Orange

Maryland is likely to remain a regular on the schedule, too. Good history with them.

FSU has a very good club team. They can step up if FSU decides to.

Maryland hasn't been a regular on the schedule at any point in the last 20 plus years. Don't see it happening now. One year on schedule and then off.

This is not the best result for the ACC in particular. No JHU is not an athletic powerhouse, but it certainly is an academic one. Its lacrosse team is very good...but more importantly, it gives the B1G a terrific team for #6 in lacrosse as an auto bid; it provides more of a foothold in the middle of the ACC--and that is the worst outcome for the ACC...this continues to demonstrate that the so called B1G blocking strategy may not be such a myth...
It's Good To Be 'Cuse!

Arb, did the ACC even entertain the thought of adding JHU? I mean seriously consider. Seems like a very quick decision by JHU. Either the BiG was in their ear for months (to placate UMD), or they were hoping for a bidding war and Swofford told them to take a hike.

What's your source say?

Maryland hasn't been a regular on the schedule at any point in the last 20 plus years. Don't see it happening now. One year on schedule and then off.

We last played a regular season game against Maryland in 1983.

We've had a few pre-season scrimmages against them, but that's about it.

I'm guessing that if the ACC knows it has 1 or 2 of its' own teams ready to start Men's LAX programs (Louisville, BC, NC State, FSU, etc...) in the near future, they didn't want to bother offering a "one sport" membership to Hopkins.

This is not the best result for the ACC in particular. No JHU is not an athletic powerhouse, but it certainly is an academic one. Its lacrosse team is very good...but more importantly, it gives the B1G a terrific team for #6 in lacrosse as an auto bid; it provides more of a foothold in the middle of the ACC--and that is the worst outcome for the ACC...this continues to demonstrate that the so called B1G blocking strategy may not be such a myth...
It's Good To Be 'Cuse!

Keep in mind that the "Blocking" that the Big Ten is doing is to prevent Penn State's departure. Demographically the states that comprise the Big Ten are not growing. Gordon Gee talks about getting back in a growing population area.

Maryland and Rutgers are not financially basket cases athletically for no reason. The Big Ten picked them up, but are they really going to give the Big Ten 50 million viewers? Really? Does Penn State whose state is a slowing demographic think New Jersey and Maryland solves its issues? We'll see.

With the pedigree in this league, I'm not sure it will matter if there's an auto or not. I could easily see 3-4 ACC teams getting into the tourny without an auto. Hell, they had 4 this year.
Actually, they only had 3 this year. But I get your point.

Of the four current ACC teams not including Notre Dame Syracuse only plays one of them annually right now. Virginia, we have played Duke a couple of times at Metlife, but we haven't played North Carolina or Maryland LAX in the regular season in a long time. I just think by adding UNC an Duke annually to the schedule we don't need Hopkins each year.

I realize Hopkins is a huge rivalry, but like the Georgetown basketball rivalry we are going thru a transition as a program. Hopkins has a right to join the B1G and while it doesn't hurt SU LAX that much I just think its obvious if you look at the macro view of everything Jim Delany has done with the B1G it has been to affect the ACC turf more than people realize. Hopkins wants to a join conference and maintain its rivalries with the ACC schools well if they want to join the B1G LAX league go ahead, but don't expect Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Syracuse to continue playing you annually.
SU LAX schedule will look like this in 2 years We have 9 games for sure and 5 openings if I was Desko I would add Army, Colgate, Villanova, Loyola/Georgetown, St. John's.

1. UVA
2. UNC
3. Duke
4. Notre Dame
5. Hobart
6. Cornell
7. Canisius
8. Princeton
9. Albany
10. my last 5 games Colgate
11. Army
12. Villanova
13. Georgetown/Loyola
14. St. John's

that schedule is still elite nationally and if the ACC adds a 6th or 7th team we could dump any two of the last five opponents.

Hopkins has just 2 national titles since 1988...hasn't made a Final Four over the past 5 seasons...they averaged 2,296 fans per game in 2013.

Are their typical recruits going to be more or less excited to play Michigan, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State???? Or would those kids prefer to go Ivy, ACC or Patriot? The lacrosse is better in the Ivy and Patriot than the Big 10 and the education in those leagues is better to.

Johns Hopkins probably didn't have any other option but the Big 10.

I wouldn't be so sure that any other established league would have jumped up and down to invite them and why would they? To make it harder for full established members to make the NCAA?

Johns Hopkins probably didn't have any other option but the Big 10.

I wouldn't be so sure that any other established league would have jumped up and down to invite them and why would they? To make it harder for full established members to make the NCAA?

Bingo, as I noted in the other thread, the B10 was the only real option for JHU. ACC and Ivy was never going to happen and JHU considers itself above the Big East/Patriot. I cant wait for that mid March JHU vs Ohio State in front of 1300 at the Horseshoe.

Bingo, as I noted in the other thread, the B10 was the only real option for JHU. ACC and Ivy was never going to happen and JHU considers itself above the Big East/Patriot. I cant wait for that mid March JHU vs Ohio State in front of 1300 at the Horseshoe.

They'll play it in mid-April before the Spring Football game ... and get 70,000. :D

They'll play it in mid-April before the Spring Football game ... and get 70,000. :D
They will play Michigan before their spring game. Ohio State HATES MICHIGAN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom