Hopkins was squeezed out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins was squeezed out

If they really wanted him they wouldn't let him slip away

I mean, what they going to do? Hopkins doesn't have to wait past next year. He wanted to get his head coaching career started. And if the guy whose job your in line for doesn't want to retire, can you blame the guy for wanting to leave?

Seems to me that it was either Hop leaving so Jim gets extended or there was a lot of back stabbing going on. If the latter be prepared for 2 or 3 mediocre seasons. I do not trust Wildhack at all. And Syverud> who can trust a Hoya. This like someone before me said won't end well.

I just can't see Hopkins leaving if he truly had the AD's support. Sure, he might have ticked JB off a bit if he took over, but he has waited two decades. Just not buying that the AD truly wanted him.

You don't have to buy it, but it's true. Boeheim wasn't retiring. You think Hopkins wanted to be the one to force him out?

wrong. wrong and wrong . here's my take on what actually went down. the ever stubborn JB said he didn't want to leave . wildhack didn't want to have the publicity and drama of actually forcing him out the door so he relents and tells King Kodger he can stay on . hopkins has had enuf waiting and thus leaves for UW.

as god is my witness those will ultimately bear out to be the facts.
I see it the same way, and most of this probably played out in the last two weeks or less. UW fired Romar on march 15, contact Hop , interview, deal done

Last edited:
Unless Hop wanted to move back to the West Coast to be closer to his aging parents (as was posted in another thread).
So his parents weren't aging a few years ago when he had other schools interested? The timing doesn't make sense, he had one more year to wait. I'm not buying all of these other angles, he wasn't wanted. I think it's pretty obvious to see that, otherwise he doesn't give up coaching at his alma mater, which is a way better job than UW.

You don't have to buy it, but it's true. Boeheim wasn't retiring. You think Hopkins wanted to be the one to force him out?
Okay, but my main point holds true. If he wasn't squeezed by the AD, he was by JB. I think guilting him into leaving is almost worse.

This is mostly speculation, all certainly all moot. It's a great move for a guy like Hopkins. Can't we just thanks and wish him the best?
Certainly, I wish Hop tons of success. I just wish it was here, our coach is aging and now we have more uncertainty that hurts recruiting. Not the best move for SU long term, imo.

I hope I'm wrong.

I just don't think that is true. The school said no to JB. But it would have been ugly next year.

The school said no to JB. I don't believe that at all and there's certainly no reason to extend JB 5 years unless for the 2018 class but I fully expect JB to retire next year or the year after.

The school said no to JB. I don't believe that at all and there's certainly no reason to extend JB 5 years. They wanted JB or they could just keep the current path.

Don't care. It happened. Let's just say one of JB's biggest supporters had to go to bat for him

SU had an assistant coach take a head coaching job. No big deal. The whole coach in waiting thing was bullstuff from the beginning. Hop was a good guy and a good coach. Glad to have had him at SU for 20+ years. I still kind of look at him as a coach as I did as a player. Glad to have him on my team but wasn't an All American or can't miss. He was solid and a hustler. Not going to miss him but I wish him luck. Just like I did Louis Orr, Brendan Malone, Wayne Morgan, Troy Weaver and Rob Murphy. I could care less who is the next assistant. I've never worried about assistant coaches.

Don't care. It happened. Let's just say one of JB's biggest supporters had to go to bat for him

Why don't they keep the current path then and he retires next year? because of one recruiting class?

IMO wildhack wasn't enthusiastic about hop and wants a national search, as do I. I'm so happy it's unfolded this way.
I'm only happy if ultimately HCJB is here for another year. I just don't think a coach at 74/75 has enough in the tank to do what needs to be done and that's not a knock...Most people that age probably don't want to work full time at the level needed to do the job right. I would note just because there is an extension, does not mean he will be there for the life of the extension. That said I think if we see Buddy commit, than Jim will be here until his son graduates.

I'm only happy if ultimately HCJB is here for another year. I just don't think a coach at 74/75 has enough in the tank to do what needs to be done and that's not a knock...Most people that age probably don't want to work full time at the level needed to do the job right. I would note just because there is an extension, does not mean he will be there for the life of the extension. That said I think if we see Buddy commit, than Jim will be here until his son graduates.
That is the worst case scenario -one year.

He needs to either stay here for 4-5 years or step down. We can't have this nonsense going on right now.

That is the worst case scenario -one year.

He needs to either stay here for 4-5 years or step down. We can't have this nonsense going on right now.

The announcement of an extension allows the one year scenario to work if that remains the actual plan. An extension allows the staff to recruit.

Last edited: