Hopkins was squeezed out | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins was squeezed out

Buddy would get Boeheimed.

Here's a thought. Hopkins went to JB and said he'd been offered by UW. JB went to the AD, et al, and said "How do we make this work for Hopkins?" We saw how the rest all unfolded around here today.

:noidea:

A little history lesson for some of you. Mike Hopkins is a footnote in SU basketball history. Jim Boeheim IS SU basketball history,and its present and for a little while longer its future. Mike Hopkins didn't "deserve" anything.

Fair enough. But consider that every top guy knows he can't do it without competent help from the subaltern level. If Hop was there for only three or four years, you could describe him as a footnote. But he's given a lot more to the program than that. I would guess that's why SU was willing to let him go with their blessing. Just a thought.

Unless Hop wanted to move back to the West Coast to be closer to his aging parents (as was posted in another thread).
If it was the Cal job I would buy that. But Seattle is a long way from southern CA.

Omg with the "Hop was squeezed out or told he was not head coach in waiting" stuff.

Folks, that did not happen.

Did. NOT. Happen.

6d15c286438f32eefcd9dfb6c39b09d51cf2ee677fe419de47fbf21f2479624d.jpg

If it was the Cal job I would buy that. But Seattle is a long way from southern CA.
Seattle is a better job than either USC or Cal. Great number of very good players come out of the area and 1. Washington isn't second banana to UCLA and 2. isn't as hard to get in to as Cal. Old Hop did alright for himself. And to say the standards for winning are less than ours, is quite an understatement.

I'd like to see him win no. 2 and give a big "Up yours!" sign to Mark Emmert. And I'm also into my second Jameson's :D
I'd like to see us win a conference tournament game and get off the bubble first before worrying about bigger dreams. The program is at a precarious crossroads.

If SU really wanted Hop they would have given him a contract this year for next year, if that makes sense.

Feel bad for the guy. He earned the change to be head coach. Although I think he will be very happy in the great state of Washington.

We love you Hop!
I'm buying season tickets!

Boeheim asked for an extension. Syracuse said no. They absolutely wanted Hopkins. Boeheim made a power play and here we are. Hopkins left because Boeheim wasn't going to retire. So now we had to give JB the extension.

The "enthusiastically agreed to stay on" is hilarious.
If Coach K is not to retire, why should Jimmy? I said let the two coach until the day they kick the bucket.

The big question is whether or not this is good for Syracuse Basketball in the LONG RUN. For me, I have to say I don't have a really warm fuzzy feeling about this at all.

I don't like the planned retirement plan. The University and Jimmy need to keep an eye open. If there is a great coach open, Jimmy is ready to step down at short notice. If he loves SU.

I don't like the planned retirement plan. The University and Jimmy need to keep an eye open. If there is a great coach open, Jimmy is ready to step down at short notice. If he loves SU.
There is someone jb loves more than Syracuse basketball.

long way by mileage, not by time. Just a few days ago I flew direct from Seattle to LA. No shortage of flights and he will be going first class.

The big question is whether or not this is good for Syracuse Basketball in the LONG RUN. For me, I have to say I don't have a really warm fuzzy feeling about this at all.

Who knows. Does anybody think Boeheim is going to grind more in recruiting now? Be more active in practices? Watch more film? Change the stale systems? This is a mess long term.

Who knows. Does anybody think Boeheim is going to grind more in recruiting now? Be more active in practices? Watch more film? Change the stale systems? This is a mess long term.
No. He isn't. But on the other hand, maybe we get a rain maker as an ass't. Troy Weaver 2. The ass't hire will be very telling. Please no Kip. No devo. And probably no griff. Although griff would be crazy to come here. He has it made with Miller. Stay on that gravy train as long as he can.

A little history lesson for some of you. Mike Hopkins is a footnote in SU basketball history. Jim Boeheim IS SU basketball history,and its present and for a little while longer its future. Mike Hopkins didn't "deserve" anything.

Well, he was given a promise.

And, in essence, that promise was not kept - over the course ten years.

No. He isn't. But on the other hand, maybe we get a rain maker as an ass't. Troy Weaver 2. The ass't hire will be very telling. Please no Kip. No devo. And probably no griff. Although griff would be crazy to come here. He has it made with Miller. Stay on that gravy train as long as he can.

Agree for sure. I'm not sure how much interest there would even be in those duties. I was skeptical of Hopkins' HC abilities but I think, until recently, he was selling some more attractive aspects of style and schemes to potential recruits. We'll see how it plays out now.

I think it would be very difficult for him at 73 to flip that switch back on after he's taken such a large step back in recent years. Also, if he does step that back up then realistically how big of a toll does that take on a guy at 73, 74, 75, etc. years old? I mean we aren't betting on a 50 or 60 year old JB to get locked in and crank it all the way up. I'm not sure how much gas he has in the tank at his age. It's nothing personal it's just the fact that people slow quite a bit as they age, especially through their 70's.

If I'm battling Syracuse for a recruit it's a no brainer to just tell their parents and the kid that there's a great chance if you go to Syracuse the group of coaches recruiting you won't be there when you graduate so why roll the dice on a mystery new coaching staff.

SU conditioning regimen : early bird team buffet at 4:00 . glass of warm milk at 8:00 and then lights out!

Agree for sure. I'm not sure how much interest there would even be in those duties. I was skeptical of Hopkins' HC abilities but I think, until recently, he was selling some more attractive aspects of style and schemes to potential recruits. We'll see how it plays out now.
No offense but I don't any of us know what Hop was "selling" to potential recruits. But, if you are correct then that might explain why recruiting has fallen a bit. The "things will be different when I'm in charge" would be a stupid promise to actually speak out loud. It would also be somewhat disloyal, insubordinate and in many companies considered grounds for dismissal. I honestly don't think Hop was doing that. And if he was recruiting the players we think we've missed on they would never have played for Hop anyhow.

No offense but I don't any of us know what Hop was "selling" to potential recruits. But, if you are correct then that might explain why recruiting has fallen a bit. The "things will be different when I'm in charge" would be a stupid promise to actually speak out loud. It would also be somewhat disloyal, insubordinate and in many companies considered grounds for dismissal. I honestly don't think Hop was doing that. And if he was recruiting the players we think we've missed on they would never have played for Hop anyhow.

I guess I'm confused then. It's been documented that some recruits just won't play in an all zone 100% system by default. Nick Richards and Quinerly just to name two. How many coaches recruit against us bringing that up, the whole all zone issue. Probably lots. I don't even want to get into the offensive scheme. If Hopkins was the coach in waiting; why wouldn't he go out there and sell his style and philosophies to the potential recruits? New scheme or old scheme. Even Ennis was telling somebody (maybe Quinerly) basically reassuring him that things will be different post Boeheim.

It doesn't matter if it was JB or Wildhack, he was squeezed out. Those saying he left because he got a great offer, that's a bunch of BS. Syracuse is a way better job than Washington.

Yes, Su is a higher visibility program.

But what about the achievability of the task.

Will it be easier for Hop to meet the demands of the UW fans, staff etc., than to get the SU program back on track and meet the demands of the SU people?

This, for Hop, is a "Bet your career" decision.

Hopkins is a nice guy. Will he be able to be enough of a hardass now that it's all on him? If you watch the tourney you will see that the winning top coaches can really be tough on people.