Hop's Not Going Anywhere... | Syracusefan.com

Hop's Not Going Anywhere...

I'll agree with this thread title right up until Hop answers a post game question with his own version of "I could give a poop about North Carolina right now." ;)

I remember when Hop was "locked" in as the coach-in-waiting at Syracuse. There was a lengthy thread where it was suggested that he might not be the next head coach. Posters lined up on both sides of the argument, but there was a pervasive opinion expressed that Hop wasn't going anywhere -- he would be the next head coach, and it was pointless to consider the alternative.

A few months later, he was gone. Things are set in stone... until they aren't anymore.

Time will tell.

UW could pony a significant buyout.

I think it would be wise for Syracuse to go with a clean slate after JB retires He's made SU basketball but after nearly 50 years, it may be time for some different ideas. Hop especially if he stay predominately zone would continually be looked as Jim 2.0 and walk into expectations that may be unrealistic/ not fair to him.

I think it would be wise for Syracuse to go with a clean slate after JB retires He's made SU basketball but after nearly 50 years, it may be time for some different ideas. Hop especially if he stay predominately zone would continually be looked as Jim 2.0 and walk into expectations that may be unrealistic/ not fair to him.

I love Hop and was on board with him taking over but this is my stance now that he’s left. I need to watch a game w/o a zone. Just purely entertainment purposes if anything. I understand that could result in a Greg Robinson or could result in a Dino B. But I’m willing to take that chance.

If it’s Hop, obviously I’ll be all behind him as well

Good for Hop. He deserves a new contract and more money.
BxRGMHE.jpg

He’s coming he just negotiated for more money short term and to not screw UW when he comes later.

He’s an alum and no sane person would turn down a top 10 ncaa job. Would it surprise anyone If Dino went to usc in a few years? Same situation imo except this one holds more water w the alum and wife from area angle

The million dollar question is whether there is a Syracuse clause in the buyout. Hop is not dumb, he knows the Syracuse job will open up in the next 3 to 5 years. If he has any interest in that job he would negotiate an exception in his buyout for Syracuse, if he didn't negotiate that exception... well then I think we have some indication about his thoughts about coming back to Syracuse.

And for the record, I'm not saying if the clause isn't there it means he will never come back... it just means that we are a part of the rest of the pack when it comes to negotiating.

The million dollar question is whether there is a Syracuse clause in the buyout. Hop is not dumb, he knows the Syracuse job will open up in the next 3 to 5 years. If he has any interest in that job he would negotiate an exception in his buyout for Syracuse, if he didn't negotiate that exception... well then I think we have some indication about his thoughts about coming back to Syracuse.

And for the record, I'm not saying if the clause isn't there it means he will never come back... it just means that we are a part of the rest of the pack when it comes to negotiating.
Why would UW ever agree to that?

I thought it was a thing to insert an alma mater clause? I guess not?

Negotiations require two parties. If that came up as a request from Hopkins, my guess is Washington’s response would have been something like “um...hard no on that”.

Sometimes a clause like that makes sense for a school to go along with; I see no way this is one of those times.

Negotiations require two parties. If that came up as a request from Hopkins, my guess is Washington’s response would have been something like “um...hard no on that”.

Sometimes a clause like that makes sense for a school to go along with; I see no way this is one of those times.

To be fair, Hop has a bit of leverage after two productive seasons and bringing in a top 5 player. Sometimes you make future concessions to get what you want/need today. It's not perfect logic but people do it all the time.

He's already stated he doesn't do things exactly like JB. For example, he doesn't play exclusively zone, he likes to change defenses. Keep in mind he was part of the program when we were primarily a m2m team that eventually evolved into zone. He has been a part of the super talented teams we had in the late 80's and early 90's and has also experienced the lean teams resulting from sanctions. That variety of experience could be valuable.

I'm interested to see if he consistently recruits at a high level and continues to build Washington into a consistently ranked highly seeded tourney team over the next few years. If that's the case, I'd love to have him back. He would be a proven coach that turned around a P5 school that is familiar with SU and its pros/cons and is also familiar with the ACC.

There were names being tossed in the air as to who UCLA may be targeting as their next coach. Names like John Calipari, Tony Bennett, and a few people mentioned Mike Hopkins. He is not coming back.

There were names being tossed in the air as to who UCLA may be targeting as their next coach. Names like John Calipari, Tony Bennett, and a few people mentioned Mike Hopkins. He is not coming back.
lol you make that your first post? The allure of coaching the school you play at is very strong. His wife's family I believe is from this area. No one other than Hop knows what he will do. Maybe not even him at this stage.

He's already stated he doesn't do things exactly like JB. For example, he doesn't play exclusively zone, he likes to change defenses. Keep in mind he was part of the program when we were primarily a m2m team that eventually evolved into zone. He has been a part of the super talented teams we had in the late 80's and early 90's and has also experienced the lean teams resulting from sanctions. That variety of experience could be valuable.

I'm interested to see if he consistently recruits at a high level and continues to build Washington into a consistently ranked highly seeded tourney team over the next few years. If that's the case, I'd love to have him back. He would be a proven coach that turned around a P5 school that is familiar with SU and its pros/cons and is also familiar with the ACC.

I've watched pretty much every minute of UW since Hop took over, can't recall him ever playing man defense.

He plays zone all the time basically exclusively outside of the 2nd half of an NIT game. He does many things just like JB including keeping kids off the foul line with multiple minutes left in games.

lol you make that your first post? The allure of coaching the school you play at is very strong. His wife's family I believe is from this area. No one other than Hop knows what he will do. Maybe not even him at this stage.
Maybe UCLA could grab all of them. Having 3 head coaches (Tony Bennett, Mike Hopkins, John Calipari) would be pretty impressive. Maybe they could bring in Popovich in an advisor role. I just can't even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom