Hop's Not Going Anywhere... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hop's Not Going Anywhere...

lol you make that your first post? The allure of coaching the school you play at is very strong. His wife's family I believe is from this area. No one other than Hop knows what he will do. Maybe not even him at this stage.

May be not.

I heard ESPN radio mentioned his name as some UCLA should consider, doesn't mean they are considering it.

He grew up in Laguna Hills CA. That's one of the reasons he interviewed for the USC job back then.

He said repeatedly after he left Cuse that he wants to build something of his own, not be a caretaker of JB's legacy.

He is already making more salary then JB at this point, although JB is giving SU a significant "hometown discount".

Why would he come back?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if other programs (UCLA, for example) have reached out to Hop, hence the contract renegotiations last year and this year. So far, he's held firm. Syracuse might be a different story.

May be not.

I heard ESPN radio mentioned his name as some UCLA should consider, doesn't mean they are considering it.

He grew up in Laguna Hills CA. That's one of the reasons he interviewed for the USC job back then.

He said repeatedly after he left Cuse that he wants to build something of his own, not be a caretaker of JB's legacy.

He is already making more salary then JB at this point, although JB is giving SU a significant "hometown duscount".

Why would he come back?

You renegotiate your coach's contract because a school or schools is trying to poach your guy. Why would you negotiate against yourself? As I said, so far, he's held firm. We'll see in the future.

choice of living in seattle or syracuse seems a no brainer. especially if you grew up west coast.

choice of living in seattle or syracuse seems a no brainer. especially if you grew up west coast.

I worked with a guy who moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana from Seattle with his wife. He LOVED Indiana and had no intention of moving back. He moved because there were a lot of drawbacks to living in Seattle, so it’s not like it’s utopia.

Literally every place has significant downsides. Seattle has cons, Syracuse has pros - no way to know if Hopkins would weight them in such a way a return to Syracuse would appeal to him.

eyes don't lie. been driving thru salt city on 81, bear st and 690 past couple weeks. decrepit is being kind.

I worked with a guy who moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana from Seattle with his wife. He LOVED Indiana and had no intention of moving back. He moved because there were a lot of drawbacks to living in Seattle, so it’s not like it’s utopia.

Literally every place has significant downsides. Seattle has cons, Syracuse has pros - no way to know if Hopkins would weight them in such a way a return to Syracuse would appeal to him.
$$ is the problem

Syracuse the town definitely puts a ceiling on how good Syracuse University the academic institution can be. No doubt about that. But it doesn't put a ceiling on how good Syracuse University basketball can be. This is a top ten program with major league resources. Get your head out of your ass.

not top ten in hoops. not for a long time. and nowhere near seattle in culture if you got cash. which hop does.

Board timeline:

Good we have Hop in waiting/not sure Hop’s the guy/gotta look beyond Hop/oh no, we lost Hop!/he’ll never succeed there/hmmn, Hop’s not bad/wow, Hop is good!/ he’ll never come back/no, he MUST come back because we can’t hire anyone good, only Hop will do!..

I've watched pretty much every minute of UW since Hop took over, can't recall him ever playing man defense.
He plays zone all the time basically exclusively outside of the 2nd half of an NIT game. He does many things just like JB including keeping kids off the foul line with multiple minutes left in games.
I stand corrected. I was basing my comment on something he said in an article a while back. Since you've watched way more Washington than me, I'll defer to you.

Congrats to Hop. He deserves this!

That said, I will retain hope he returns to his alma mater someday. But for now, it is great that he can gain experience and know how in that cute program in that plucky little conference out West.

Got himself a big raise, well deserved.

He’s coming he just negotiated for more money short term and to not screw UW when he comes later.

He’s an alum and no sane person would turn down a top 10 ncaa job. Would it surprise anyone If Dino went to usc in a few years? Same situation imo except this one holds more water w the alum and wife from area angle
Nonsense. Who in their right mind would leave where he is to live in Syracuse?

I remember when Hop was "locked" in as the coach-in-waiting at Syracuse. There was a lengthy thread where it was suggested that he might not be the next head coach. Posters lined up on both sides of the argument, but there was a pervasive opinion expressed that Hop wasn't going anywhere -- he would be the next head coach, and it was pointless to consider the alternative.

A few months later, he was gone. Things are set in stone... until they aren't anymore.

Time will tell.

Thamel probably typed that tweet with one hand

Wow

The Pac-12 reeeeeeeeealllly over pays their coaches

Hop may be the best in conference already, and the others make more than JB?

My sister, from Auburn, has lived in Albany; Groton, CT; Virginia Beach; Charleston; and now Seattle.

She has a love hate relationship with Seattle.

Different strokes for different folks. No one knows what Hop will do in 3 years, especially if his parents are no longer around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom