Hops' recruiting class is ranked 5th for 2017 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hops' recruiting class is ranked 5th for 2017

Call me skeptical that we could hire Michael Porter Sr. literally like a week after he accepted another job.
Chris Beatty hired as Maryland WRs coach
Beatty took the SU WR job then a couple of weeks later took the Maryland WR job.
If JB busts out the checkbook we can hire Michael Porter Sr. and he would get on his resume atleast a year with a HOF coach.

This would be a very un-Boeheim move. Can Porter coach the bigs?

Regarding the rest of Washington's class, including Porter, the top 3 guys that they've gotten commitments from are all from Seattle. That helps a ton. Seattle is one of the best cities in the country for basketball; if Hopkins can take advantage the way Romar did, he's going to have a lot of highly rated recruiting classes.
Didn't they also get a chapel hill guard

Didn't they also get a chapel hill guard
Yes, that's their #4 recruit, also a top 100 guy.

Edit: Sounds like he may be considering re-opening his recruitment along with Michael & Jontay Porter and Daejon Davis.

Last edited:
What is Michael Porter Sr.'s background? Is he a capable coach? Is he somebody we want in the program short or long term? Does he like snow?

It matters not if he brings his son in next year. He would fill a huge need at the SF and be gone the year after.

Jontay Porter would likely follow his dad and brother as well.

He's more of an inside player correct? 2018? I'm fine with hiring Porter to if JR. comes and letting it ride into the 2018 season with his brother. I doubt it will happen but if I was JB I'd have already called this guy and asked if he had any interest now that he isn't at Washington. If I was Hop I'd have been calling him Saturday night!

He's more of an inside player correct? 2018? I'm fine with hiring Porter to if JR. comes and letting it ride into the 2018 season with his brother. I doubt it will happen but if I was JB I'd have already called this guy and asked if he had any interest now that he isn't at Washington. If I was Hop I'd have been calling him Saturday night!

I honestly hadn't paid much attention to the Porters since they were never coming here, but based on my very quick and shallow searches, Jontay is a 2018 recruit that was supposedly considering reclassifying to 2017 to play with his brother. And he's listed as a 6'10" C.

The thing I would say about Seattle is that there is a lot of good basketball in the city. The two good kids that could stay both go to Garfield according to a friend of mine (don't follow Udub recruiting until a few days ago) so if you can recruit the city and grab a few kids from other parts of the state as well as a few from Cali they should be getting plenty of good players. It's not as good of a job as Syracuse because it is a football first school but they have a really nice campus and good facilities and money. There are issues right now with the PAC 12 network not paying out what the schools were promised but I think that will change.

The thing I would say about Seattle is that there is a lot of good basketball in the city. The two good kids that could stay both go to Garfield according to a friend of mine (don't follow Udub recruiting until a few days ago) so if you can recruit the city and grab a few kids from other parts of the state as well as a few from Cali they should be getting plenty of good players. It's not as good of a job as Syracuse because it is a football first school but they have a really nice campus and good facilities and money. There are issues right now with the PAC 12 network not paying out what the schools were promised but I think that will change.

I think the combination of low expectations while being in a hotbed for talent = a great job to take on. Like Romar did, you can survive for a long time there while being mediocre, but with the talent in that area, there's a lot of potential to make it into a bigger program.

I think the combination of low expectations while being in a hotbed for talent = a great job to take on. Like Romar did, you can survive for a long time there while being mediocre, but with the talent in that area, there's a lot of potential to make it into a bigger program.

And its not like the PAC is a very deep conference. It won't take all that much to finish in the top5 out there.

I honestly hadn't paid much attention to the Porters since they were never coming here, but based on my very quick and shallow searches, Jontay is a 2018 recruit that was supposedly considering reclassifying to 2017 to play with his brother. And he's listed as a 6'10" C.
Elephant in the room wants to know why the Dad was released

People forget but he got them a #1 seed and they have had some good teams. I'm not sure if people understand Romar but let me tell you I know people indirectly who have worked for him and his lack of organization and inability to teach x and o's is second to none. It is amazing that he was able to get them to that high of a level. It just shows to me that it is a sleeping giant in a way. After Zona it is literally wide open. Oregon proved that with how quick Altman got it going. Outside of UCLA no other school has tradition and a focus on basketball.

Elephant in the room wants to know why the Dad was released

The whole staff was with Romar, at least that's what I'd assume. If I'm Hop I'm still making that call to see if he wants a new job at Washington.

It's funny how a couple of days ago I'm told that SU is a more attractive job than UCLA but now it's being said that Washington is a better move than staying at SU.

cc6386905fcd15ee118658382cd01393_mind-blown-mind-blown-meme_550-481.jpeg

Washington is a sleeping giant. Since the Sonics left they're the only bball in town. No reason it can't be a powerhouse.

The whole staff was with Romar, at least that's what I'd assume. If I'm Hop I'm still making that call to see if he wants a new job at Washington.
If we miraculously got porter. PGs would be lining up

You might want to get out of Syracuse once in a while. UW is one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

You think high school hoop players are picking their colleges for the outdoors scenery and hiking trails?