Hops' recruiting class is ranked 5th for 2017 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hops' recruiting class is ranked 5th for 2017

It's funny how a couple of days ago I'm told that SU is a more attractive job than UCLA but now it's being said that Washington is a better move than staying at SU.

cc6386905fcd15ee118658382cd01393_mind-blown-mind-blown-meme_550-481.jpeg

Maybe better for Hopkins because at Syracuse the expectations are way higher, the fanbase is bigger, he'd be under much more scrunity.

Washington gave him 6 friggin years. Many at Cuse would want him out after 2 if there's not instant success.

Less pressure, fewer expectations, more job security...so yeah it's a better job for him. He can have a losing season next year and still have a huge improvement over this year.

You think high school hoop players are picking their colleges for the outdoors scenery and hiking trails?

Maybe not directly, but the hot chicks might pick a college based on that stuff.

His pg Blake harris just asked for his release and is opening up his recruitment again...hop will be ok but when it's all said and done he won't have no where near the class for 17 as it was before he got hired.

Maybe better for Hopkins because at Syracuse the expectations are way higher, the fanbase is bigger, he'd be under much more scrunity.

Washington gave him 6 friggin years. Many at Cuse would want him out after 2 if there's not instant success.

Less pressure, fewer expectations, more job security...so yeah it's a better job for him. He can have a losing season next year and still have a huge improvement over this year.

So the Washington job was more attractive to him?

A week ago if this was brought up he would have been called dumb, the job was bad and it didn't matter what the offered him.

All this shows is that there are other opportunities for coaches to take and the job we have to offer may be a little more difficult to fill than we originally though.

If Washington is able to offer 6 years to a guy with zero head coaching experience then other schools probably will to.

Where do we stand? Not sure it's as high as we all want it to be.

A week ago if this was brought up he would have been called dumb, the job was bad and it didn't matter what the offered him.

All this shows is that there are other opportunities for coaches to take and the job we have to offer may be a little more difficult to fill than we originally though.

If Washington is able to offer 6 years to a guy with zero head coaching experience then other schools probably will to.

Washington was 9-23(?) and have very little history of success. I'd say they can easily offer 6 years, because if it doesn't work out what's the difference? They've usually sucked anyway, it's not like they'd be losing something that they previously had.

Gotta remember that our AD had zero to do with giving Hopkins the job. That was something he inherited, that had already been put in place years ago. The situation that our next coach comes into will not be the situation Hopkins would've been in.

Just out of curiosity, how did you become a Syracuse fan? Perhaps I have you mistaken with someone else, but you're not from Syracuse and you didn't go to SU, correct?

Just out of curiosity, how did you become a Syracuse fan? Perhaps I have you mistaken with someone else, but you're not from Syracuse and you didn't go to SU, correct?

I am from Syracuse. What that has to do with anything is beyond me.

Maybe I'm glad I didn't go, the lack common sense around here lately is shocking.

This entire thing has stink written all over it, a lot of things recently have stink on it and a majority of the fans are loyal to a fault and have no problem seeing this program go into the toilet.

You don't wait 10 years for a job and leave a year before you walk into it. Recruiting, scouting and player development just doesn't fall off as bad as it has. And while it's been happening for awhile, these fringe NBA players are bailing as fast as they can.

Maybe I'm glad I didn't go, the lack common sense around here lately is shocking.

This entire thing has stink written all over it, a lot of things recently have stink on it and a majority of the fans are loyal to a fault and have no problem seeing this program go into the toilet.

You don't wait 10 years for a job and leave a year before you walk into it. Recruiting, scouting and player development just doesn't fall off as bad as it has. And while it's been happening for awhile, these fringe NBA players are bailing as fast as they can.
Thanks for clarifying. Not sure why you got all defensive after that, but I disagree with just about everything you said.

He didn't wait 10 years though. He's been trying to get other head coaching jobs and finally had one offer him, and it happens to be a very good opportunity.

BTW, what's this nonsense about recruiting falling off? We're coming off back-to-back Top 20 recruiting classes. This year's class is not finished.

BTW, what's this nonsense about recruiting falling off? We're coming off back-to-back Top 20 recruiting classes. This year's class is not finished.

If our recruiting and scouting haven't fallen off then why do we have 1 and a half good players on the roster as it stands right now?

Outside of Battle and the offensive half of Thompson who else is a capable ACC starter?

If our recruiting and scouting haven't fallen off then why do we have 1 and a half good players on the roster as it stands right now?

Outside of Battle and the offensive half of Thompson who else is a capable ACC starter?
Do you acknowledge we're coming off back-to-back Top 20 recruiting classes?

It's really just a focus on this year (along with some recent misses), but looking at our class, I believe this is the first time since ESPN began tracking recruiting that we've failed to land a single top 100 recruit (though Brissett's grade would place him in the 66-76 range if he were included in the rankings). Second time since 2010 that we've given a scholarship to a player outside the top 100 and that's 2/3 of our recruiting class this year.

I know we're still recruiting, and I'm also personally higher on Sidibe and Washington than ESPN are, but rankings wise, this year is pretty dreadful relative to our past. I really, really like Sidibe though.

It's really just a focus on this year (along with some recent misses), but looking at our class, I believe this is the first time since ESPN began tracking recruiting that we've failed to land a single top 100 recruit (though Brissett's grade would place him in the 66-76 range if he were included in the rankings). Second time since 2010 that we've given a scholarship to a player outside the top 100 and that's 2/3 of our recruiting class this year.

I know we're still recruiting, and I'm also personally higher on Sidibe and Washington than ESPN are, but rankings wise, this year is pretty dreadful relative to our past. I really, really like Sidibe though.
Class isn't finished and we needed to bring in some program guys.

Not sure some of the others on here are just focusing on this year.

Do you acknowledge we're coming off back-to-back Top 20 recruiting classes?

Do it you acknowledge we have one and a half players that are capable ACC starters on the roster?

If you do acknowledge that then you should acknowledge that if our recruiting was what you think it is we should have a pretty darn good lineup ready to go this year.

Do it you acknowledge we have one and a half players that are capable ACC starters on the roster?

If you do acknowledge that then you should acknowledge that if our recruiting was what you think it is we should have a pretty darn good lineup ready to go this year.
Why would I acknowledge anything you've said when you refuse to do the same?

With all the coaching fires and hires etc the past couple days have been crazy with players becoming available again and players leaving programs and graduate transfers etc...I think we are in for another long spring/summer hoping the staff can pull in a few gems to make the 17 class pretty solid...and please lord start working harder on the 18 class!

The simple fact is we just don't know what we have yet. Battle and Thompson are clearly starting caliber players. I think Howard is if he gets his head screwed on straight too. Moyer, Chukwu, Brissett, Sidibe, etc. are all question marks, but they're the same caliber of recruit that we've basically always gotten (with Sidibe being a little lower than our usual). With the exception of this year, which is unfinished, our recruiting rankings have been very consistent.

Why would I acknowledge anything you've said when you refuse to do the same?

I did acknowledge that but I'm wondering why in two years we have 1 and a half players left over while having two top 20 recruiting classes.

The simple fact is we just don't know what we have yet. Battle and Thompson are clearly starting caliber players. I think Howard is if he gets his head screwed on straight too. Moyer, Chukwu, Brissett, Sidibe, etc. are all question marks, but they're the same caliber of recruit that we've basically always gotten (with Sidibe being a little lower than our usual).

And that's fine, we don't know who we have but can we have questions on if all of them can make up for what Gillon, White and Lydon brought to the team?

That's quite a tall order and personally I don't think these guys coming in can.

I did acknowledge that but I'm wondering why in two years we have 1 and a half players left over while having two top 20 recruiting classes.
You didn't, but whatever.

We have four players left from those classes (not including transfers). We lost two to the NBA.

And that's fine, we don't know who we have but can we have questions on if all of them can make up for what Gillon, White and Lydon brought to the team?

That's quite a tall order and personally I don't think these guys coming in can.

Finding a guy to replace what white brought to the table won't happen..breaking our single season 3 point record...pretty impressive..however maybe the new recruits and whoever we bring in will bring much more energy on the defensive side of the ball because our zone was atrocious this year so maybe that will balance us out? Tough telling what we have going forward and what we still might get. Besides gillons few miraculous games/shots finding a good replacement shouldn't be too hard because he wasn't the greatest and being a floor general for us. Lydon was fantastic and it will be hard to replace him but hopefully Thompson takes a big jump all around and we can find another solid guy who can give us close numbers to what lydon was producing because honestly lydons numbers could have been much better if he was more of a alpha type player.

I hear what you are saying but I do agree there is a much larger margin for error at Washington in term of building it and I disagree with the idea that other schools will start doing it. This was an out of the box thinking idea from a new athletic director. She probably looked at him and thought he is better than all the other candidates expect for the fact that he has not been the head guy so lets take a shot at him over Musselman, Randy Bennett and Steve Lavin. These were the other 3 names thrown around the most. The school has good facilities and a good recruiting base. The reality is that Hop has never been offered another job that is this good outside of taking over for Boeheim. He could have taken over at a smaller place like Charlotte but he didn't want to do that.

That's definitely fair, and I'm probably with you. I think it'll be another down year next year depending on how we fill out the rest of our roster. Though I also think we disappointed this season relative to our talent level, so perhaps we end up being at about the same position next year as we finished this year; a bubble team.