Hotel Tips - NYC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hotel Tips - NYC

I'll add that I'd avoid midtown if possible. You'll probably pay a little less if you stay downtown or on the east side, and midtown can be a pain in the ass at that time of year.

I'd forgotten what a tourist nightmare that area becomes at Christmastime; my parents were staying on 53rd at 5th last year for St. John's and it's no exaggeration to say we couldn't walk up 5th the night before the game. It's like the Dome concourse during a sold-out event.

I get that people like to see the tree. My advice: find a nice hotel downtown within a quick walk of the 1/2/3, hit all your bars, then wander up to the tree at like 3 in the morning when the crowds are gone.

poc44 said:
dont stay at hotel pennsylvania without a hazmat suit...

That was my second home for about 20 years. The Penta.

Hey guys. Anyone have any sweet secrets about staying in NYC, possibly near MSG? Trying to find a room from the 12/3 - 12/6 that wont make the ol troop any more poor than he already is.

How far away from MSG is too far? With uber and such, we should be able to get around pretty easy.
We have friends staying in NJ, and they will uber each night.. but I think my girl wants to have the "city experience", since she has not been in like 15 years.

Any tips would be awesome. I don't really have any brand loyalty when it comes to hotels.

I am going to disagree with most of what is written above.

Unless finances are a major, major issue, do not stay in Jersey or Brooklyn or Queens or uptown or downtown...

Stay midtown where everything is right outside your door. Yeah, it is overpriced but you don't have to worry about a train or a cab or an uber or a subway ride at whatever hour you guys finally decide to call it a night. NYC, especially midtown, is for walking anyway...

Midtown is absolutely awesome come the Holiday season.

And take your girl to see the Xmas show at Rock Center...

I am going to disagree with most of what is written above.

Unless finances are a major, major issue, do not stay in Jersey or Brooklyn or Queens or uptown or downtown...

Stay midtown where everything is right outside your door. Yeah, it is overpriced but you don't have to worry about a train or a cab or an uber or a subway ride at whatever hour you guys finally decide to call it a night. NYC, especially midtown, is for walking anyway...

Midtown is absolutely awesome come the Holiday season.

And take your girl to see the Xmas show at Rock Center...

I'll second this. I've lived in the East Village, Chelsea, Hell's Kitchen and now the Upper West Side.

Stay in the city, on the west side, and try to stay relatively close to MSG. Getting north and south is much easier than trying to get cross town.

There are a lot of Holiday Inn type hotels for biz people, usually, that are no frills, but decent places. Also, as mentioned above, a place like Ink 48 is really nice. There is also a funky Japanese hotel called Yotel on the corner of 42nd and 10th (I think).

Spend a little extra and be in the city if you can. It is well worth it. Being able to walk or take a quick cab is going to be a huge stress relief. And do not go below a 3 star (and really 3.5 star).

Just my 0.02.

I'll second this. I've lived in the East Village, Chelsea, Hell's Kitchen and now the Upper West Side.

Stay in the city, on the west side, and try to stay relatively close to MSG. Getting north and south is much easier than trying to get cross town.

There are a lot of Holiday Inn type hotels for biz people, usually, that are no frills, but decent places. Also, as mentioned above, a place like Ink 48 is really nice. There is also a funky Japanese hotel called Yotel on the corner of 42nd and 10th (I think).

Spend a little extra and be in the city if you can. It is well worth it. Being able to walk or take a quick cab is going to be a huge stress relief. And do not go below a 3 star (and really 3.5 star).

Just my 0.02.

Good calls. Ace Hotel and Nomad are nice hotels not too far from MSG as well if you want to avoid more uptown/Times Square-ish cluster F's.

I have an app called Hotel Tonight, where you can book hotels at pretty good discounts if you are willing to wait until the last second.

A couple years ago we went to see the tree after a game- late, after mid-night, and it was off. Were told turned off to save $.

Had never had that problem prior but not sure if they still turn it off...

Check the hostiles. Learn to read the subway map. Or you can can around Manhattan pretty cheap. Midtown is walkable.
Stayed at a holiday in on 26&7 or thereabouts. Pretty good. Also, check off broadway.

Bringing the girlfriend all the way from Alaska for a romantic long weekend in NYC with a 2 hr basketball game somewhere in the middle--yes, the hostiles are the way to go. (assuming of course you have run out of every other option to get her to break up with you).

Bringing the girlfriend all the way from Alaska for a romantic long weekend in NYC with a 2 hr basketball game somewhere in the middle--yes, the hostiles are the way to go. (assuming of course you have run out of every other option to get her to break up with you).

This is the second time this made me laugh. I always check the hostiles when I'm in NYC because they might be sneaking up on me.

I check the hostels for a place to stay. But not when I have my wife with me.

I would sooner stay in Jersey than stay with a UConn fan. But everyone is different and for some, this is probably a good way to go...

Unless finances are a major, major issue, do not stay in Jersey or Brooklyn or Queens

I agree -- part of the experience is being able to walk out your hotel and boom the city is right there. Going back to a suburban parking lot at the end of the day is a buzzkill.

I would sooner stay in Jersey than stay with a UConn fan. But everyone is different and for some, this is probably a good way to go...

So, just to close the loop...

A UConn fan as a roommate at a hostel would be considered a hostel hostile while a hostel owned by a UConn fan would be considered a hostile hostel...

Either way I concur with Tomcat, if one is flying across the country with one's girlfriend to spend a weekend with her here in NYC, I would not recommend staying at a hostel, hostile or otherwise...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips!

Ive got a plane ticket, and I've got a game ticket.. All I really need. I like the idea of waiting for hotwire, but the rest of my group apparently thinks that NYC is going to sell out of hotel rooms.

No hostels, she would kill me.

She does want to stay in the city, near time square.. Only been to the city once, so it's going to be an experience for her.

Ink48 is like $600 a night! I thought I told you guys I was poor!

We will figure it out. I've got no problem sleeping on the sidewalk next to the blarney.

Prep your livers, folks! It's gonna be a good one.

Thanks for all the tips!

Ive got a plane ticket, and I've got a game ticket.. All I really need. I like the idea of waiting for hotwire, but the rest of my group apparently thinks that NYC is going to sell out of hotel rooms.

No hostels, she would kill me.

She does want to stay in the city, near time square.. Only been to the city once, so it's going to be an experience for her.

Ink48 is like $600 a night! I thought I told you guys I was poor!

We will figure it out. I've got no problem sleeping on the sidewalk next to the blarney.

Prep your livers, folks! It's gonna be a good one.

It's funny how people who are not from NYC want to go to Times Square. People who are from NYC want nothing to do with that area of the city.

It's funny how people who are not from NYC want to go to Times Square. People who are from NYC want nothing to do with that area of the city.

Kind of like us and North Pole/Santa's village. It's a must stop for out of towners, but the locals know North Pole is just a meth infested sh!thole. I'd rather eat an avocado then go to North Pole.

Kind of like us and North Pole/Santa's village. It's a must stop for out of towners, but the locals know North Pole is just a meth infested sh!thole. I'd rather eat an avocado then go to North Pole.

Some local eateries you might want to hit up:

Bubba Gump Shrimp
The M&M Store
Guy Fieri's American Kitchen
Olive Garden
Sbarro's Pizza

Pick Pocket Central.

Some local eateries you might want to hit up:

Bubba Gump Shrimp
The M&M Store
Guy Fieri's American Kitchen
Olive Garden
Sbarro's Pizza

lol, a tourists dream trip! For real tho, I'll need to find 2 places for nice dinners. I'll be able to find good spots for pizzas and hoagies (without going my fav place, on long island)

What kind of food?

I think we are open to anything, the girl is allergic to gluten and dairy tho, so Italian restaurants can be tough. I just want her to be able to get all dressed up for a night on the town. Fairbanks Alaska is not a place where women can get all dressed up for dinner too often. Would be a Saturday and Sunday night, if that changes anything.

One place we are for sure hitting up is the Skylark, a rooftop bar that my buddy has been talking about since we started planning this trip. Funny story, that same buddy and I were at our tailgate at metlife, and a group of cuse fans stopped by to chat.. One of them, the owner of the Skylark. My buddy, who had been there before, had no clue it was owned by a cuse fan. Now we damn sure gotta go