Hotel Tips - NYC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hotel Tips - NYC

Stay in Jersey. Save a lot of $. The train from Secacus goes right to Penn St (MSG). Then u can uber anywhere u want to go
Why uber? Yellow cabs or metro card subway/bus for the real NYC experience

I think we are open to anything, the girl is allergic to gluten and dairy tho, so Italian restaurants can be tough. I just want her to be able to get all dressed up for a night on the town. Fairbanks Alaska is not a place where women can get all dressed up for dinner too often. Would be a Saturday and Sunday night, if that changes anything.

One place we are for sure hitting up is the Skylark, a rooftop bar that my buddy has been talking about since we started planning this trip. Funny story, that same buddy and I were at our tailgate at metlife, and a group of cuse fans stopped by to chat.. One of them, the owner of the Skylark. My buddy, who had been there before, had no clue it was owned by a cuse fan. Now we damn sure gotta go
Johns of 12 St, a VERY old school Italian restaurant, has a vegan menu that's good for her non dairy part. However how gluten free it is I don't know. Check out the website. It actually has a gluten free pasta option. The entrees are mostly seitan which is wheat gluten so no good for her, but if she calls ahead and explains they may accommodate her more. The non dairy cheese is decent tasting. Too bad there's no gluten free pizza or bread. BUT there is dairy and gluten free cannoli in standard or chocolate!!!

John's of 12th Street

Johns of 12 St, a VERY old school Italian restaurant, has a vegan menu that's good for her non dairy part. However how gluten free it is I don't know. Check out the website. It actually has a gluten free pasta option. The entrees are mostly seitan which is wheat gluten so no good for her, but if she calls ahead and explains they may accommodate her more. The non dairy cheese is decent tasting. Too bad there's no gluten free pizza or bread. BUT there is dairy and gluten free cannoli in standard or chocolate!!!

John's of 12th Street
Thanks!!

I think we are open to anything, the girl is allergic to gluten and dairy tho, so Italian restaurants can be tough. I just want her to be able to get all dressed up for a night on the town. Fairbanks Alaska is not a place where women can get all dressed up for dinner too often. Would be a Saturday and Sunday night, if that changes anything.

One place we are for sure hitting up is the Skylark, a rooftop bar that my buddy has been talking about since we started planning this trip. Funny story, that same buddy and I were at our tailgate at metlife, and a group of cuse fans stopped by to chat.. One of them, the owner of the Skylark. My buddy, who had been there before, had no clue it was owned by a cuse fan. Now we damn sure gotta go
Here are a mixed bag of gluten free or friendly places, some dairy free too. But lots of meat and fish places too for the omnivore.

Best Food In NYC: Gluten-Free Restaurants

And my FAVORITE Mexican restaurant, in Soho. Not cheap but awesome AND tons of gluten and dairy free options for her and tremendously good drinks. It's a splurge but really, do you get decent Mexican food that she can eat in Alaska?

Mexican Radio | All new site is HERE!

Here are a mixed bag of gluten free or friendly places, some dairy free too. But lots of meat and fish places too for the omnivore.

Best Food In NYC: Gluten-Free Restaurants

And my FAVORITE Mexican restaurant, in Soho. Not cheap but awesome AND tons of gluten and dairy free options for her and tremendously good drinks. It's a splurge but really, do you get decent Mexican food that she can eat in Alaska?

Mexican Radio | All new site is HERE!

Whoa whoa whoa, I have a lot of love for this girl... but there's no way in heck I'm going to a Gluten Free Restaurant. I shouldn't have to suffer because she has a "condition" ;)

Are the following in play?

Sushi
Steakhouse
Seafood

Are the following in play?

Sushi
Steakhouse
Seafood

Those would be perfect, in this order of awesomeness.

Seafood
Steakhouse
Sushi

Every sushi place I've ever been to has not has whiskey, so they kinda take a back seat.

Whoa whoa whoa, I have a lot of love for this girl... but there's no way in heck I'm going to a Gluten Free Restaurant. I shouldn't have to suffer because she has a "condition" ;)

LOL you jerk.

Seriously I don't have tickets yet for the game but I would LOVE to meet you two and whoever else at Mexican Radio for lunch into happy hour into dinner into stumbling around neighborhood bars. (I'll find cheap ones.) I'll be the RELATIVELY sober one; can't drink too much because of medication.

Also my neighborhood, Murray Hill, an easy (six to eight blocks) walk east from MSG has REALLY CHEAP HAPPY HOURS. One Asian one has happy hour from 12-8 with $4 "lady's drinks" (full size flavored martinis or mojitos) and other drinks around $5 or $6. I mean for Mai Tais and stuff. Really great value. I'd imagine beers are around $4. Nothing on tap but probably a few Asian imports like Tiger beer. There is a full bar so probably some whiskey. And my friends love the sushi. Your GF GF just needs to be careful with what she orders; I.e. No soy sauce Here's the website:

East Pacific Pan-Asian Bistro

LOL you jerk. ☮

Seriously I don't have tickets yet for the game but I would LOVE to meet you two and whoever else at Mexican Radio for lunch into happy hour into dinner into stumbling around neighborhood bars. (I'll find cheap ones.) I'll be the RELATIVELY sober one; can't drink too much because of medication.

Also my neighborhood, Murray Hill, an easy (six to eight blocks) walk east from MSG has REALLY CHEAP HAPPY HOURS. One Asian one has happy hour from 12-8 with $4 "lady's drinks" (full size flavored martinis or mojitos) and other drinks around $5 or $6. I mean for Mai Tais and stuff. Really great value. I'd imagine beers are around $4. Nothing on tap but probably a few Asian imports like Tiger beer. There is a full bar so probably some whiskey. And my friends love the sushi. Your GF GF just needs to be careful with what she orders; I.e. No soy sauce Here's the website:

East Pacific Pan-Asian Bistro

Let's keep in touch, and try to make something happen! I'd love to meet the boards only true, real life comedian!

Let's keep in touch, and try to make something happen! I'd love to meet the boards only true, real life comedian!
Oh well, since you mentioned it, I'll just have to arrange for a comedy show. There are places to go for open mics every night of the week. And most of the comics, while "amateurs", are pretty funny.

Mexican Radio's solid, went to my friend's rehearsal dinner there the night before his wedding.

A meat splurge (Black Label Burger especially) at Minetta Tavern is worth it. Good drinks. Pricey spot but they top off your drinks.

I love Grimaldi's for pizza and the location in downtown Hoboken is awesome and less busy than Brooklyn. Easy trip on Path Train. There is a spot in Hackensack even better and CHEAP for coal fired brick oven (actually the original Grimaldi people) pies but it is a schlep to get to.

Hey guys. Anyone have any sweet secrets about staying in NYC, possibly near MSG? Trying to find a room from the 12/3 - 12/6 that wont make the ol troop any more poor than he already is.

How far away from MSG is too far? With uber and such, we should be able to get around pretty easy.
We have friends staying in NJ, and they will uber each night.. but I think my girl wants to have the "city experience", since she has not been in like 15 years.

Any tips would be awesome. I don't really have any brand loyalty when it comes to hotels.

NYC in December is tough. As much as I complain about my travel schedule the Hilton points come in handy at times like this. We're booked in the new Hilton Garden Inn on 42nd street.

Bringing the girlfriend all the way from Alaska for a romantic long weekend in NYC with a 2 hr basketball game somewhere in the middle--yes, the hostiles are the way to go. (assuming of course you have run out of every other option to get her to break up with you).
That is perfect! LOL!

CuseTroop . I am biased because I used to live right down the block, but check this out in Astoria near LaGuardia: http://www.marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi
Rooms for $129 + tax a night for the nights you are looking for. My 70 year old mother stayed there religiously when I lived a few blocks away and she is OCD as hell and found it clean and comfortable. They have a shuttle to the N line on the subway, which is a few blocks away and brings you directly into Midtown in 15 minutes. Late night yellow cab ride with meter is typically $30.

Go into Manhattan on the subway, do whatever you want until the wee hours of the morning and take a cab ride back to the hotel, while drunk-talking the cab driver's ears off. Enjoy the night with the GF, shower, and repeat the next day. Plus, you are right near LaGuardia with a free shuttle if that is the airport you are using.

As far as a nice dinner with the lady, I recommend Madison and Vine on Madison and 41st near Grand Central. The same owners also have a rooftop bar called Bookmarks that is enclosed on the the top floor of the same building.Hospitality Holdings Hospitality Holdings

Alright! This trip is fast approaching! We finally booked a hotel, EVEN hotel? idk, the girl picked it out after months of refusing to pick just one.

Girl - "Here's four hotels, pick one"
Troop "This one"
Girl "Here's all the reasons why we aren't staying at that one"
Repeat for months...

Anyway... My buddy has his ideas of where to spend our dinners, plus we have a couple roof top bars to check out, so I think our nights are good to go.

The last thing I need from you amazing peeps:

Best place around time square or MSG for pizza, and the best place to grab a cold cut sub.

Go!

Alright! This trip is fast approaching! We finally booked a hotel, EVEN hotel? idk, the girl picked it out after months of refusing to pick just one.

Troop "This one"
Repeat for months...

Anyway... My buddy has his ideas of where to spend our dinners, plus we have a couple roof top bars to check out, so I think our nights are good to go.

Best place around time square or MSG for pizza, and the best place to grab a cold cut sub.

Go!

I would head right down the street to No. 7 Sub for a good sandwich in the neighborhood, but if you're looking for a classic hero, I'd try Parm or Alleva down in Little Italy.

Near the Garden, N.Y. Pizza Suprema has good slices. They're on 8th Avenue. Though if you really want memorable pizza, the hour-long train ride out to Bensonhurst is always worth it.

These mid-afternoon food threads kill me, now I feel like it's meal time.

. Though if you really want memorable pizza, the hour-long train ride out to Bensonhurst is always worth it.

fob40yfux8t.jpg

Also, CuseTroop, it's a hero, not a sub.

Troop "This one"
Repeat for months...

Go!

Not sure if it's good but my boys from Long Island always rave about the dollar slices you can buy.

Or you can go the Michael Scott route

76c064e8394e2c969cf153aa0ebaf644.jpg

Not sure if it's good but my boys from Long Island always rave about the dollar slices you can buy.

They're not terrible for the price but since it's a long way between Alaska and NYC, I'd advise CuseTroop to spend a little extra to get the good stuff while he's in town.

Troop "This one"
Repeat for months...

Go!
DATES IN TOWN PLEASE! I cannot plan a comedy night otherwise.

Or you can go the Michael Scott route

76c064e8394e2c969cf153aa0ebaf644.jpg
Heh heh. Jerk.

Sbarros used to be good. In the 70s, when I was in HS.

With dollar slices, at least if you get sick it only cost you three bucks tops. I don't think that even the Sbarros at the mall across from the criminal court buildings in the South Bronx serves ONE slice for that. Tack on 50 cents plus tax.

And most NYC pizza places, when you buy a slice at the joint, tax is included. Not extra. (Though dollar places charge extra for the tax so a slice is $1.09. Big whoop.)