Houston NRG Stadium Shooting Woes | Syracusefan.com

Houston NRG Stadium Shooting Woes

JrodCuse

All Conference
So the talking heads keep discussing that this stadium hurts 3 PT shooting %. What are the thoughts on this? We are a team that plays its home games in a football field, so I would think that this would have less of an impact on us as compared to the 3 other teams.

They didn't even seem to know that we play in a dome.
You know it is an NFL stadium and that makes everything else different. Oh, and no Dome Dogs. That messes up shooting, too, and in some cases affects guard play. It's also a different type of Dome, your a rocket scientist so you can explain better why that would affect rebounding.

Am I qualified to work in sports broadcasting yet?

Talking heads...the ignorant and the blind. Spinners of fairy tales that make the Brothers Grimm look like rocket scientists.

Talking heads...no those aren't lip injections but(t) hemorrhiods from all the bs that passes through those lips.

Talking heads...Gottlieb syndrome: a puffer fish manifestation that screams "they don't belong" like a repeating hyena. Toxic to listeners! Dangerous to credit card holders.

Talking heads...Entertaining and at the same time manipulating mindless and equally ignorant masses with lies and half truths...while consigning logic and fact to the Twilight Zone.

We've been winning and we've been awful from 3. If UNC can't shoot we will pack the zone in even more. It won't hurt us as much as people think. If we keep UNC in low 70s/high 60s I like our chances

I think from practice/shoot arounds and being focused while playing the background doesn't make a big difference

'See the rim, up and in.'

Shooters shouldn't be distracted by the background.

I like that little affirmation. I'll add it to my list, along with "One step, one punch, one round at a time." from Rocky. And "See it, roll it, hole it." From Eddie to Francis Ouimet in the Greatest Game Ever Played.

You know it is an NFL stadium and that makes everything else different. Oh, and no Dome Dogs. That messes up shooting, too, and in some cases affects guard play. It's also a different type of Dome, your a rocket scientist so you can explain better why that would affect rebounding.

Am I qualified to work in sports broadcasting yet?

And don't forget the advantage we can have by turning on the fans in the dome. Just ask Tyrone Willingham.

Stems from Butler laying bricks against UCONN
In the 2011 Final 4, I believe VCU shot 39%, UConn shot 38%, UK shot 34% and Butler shot 19%(such a joke). None of those teams were good offensively -- all 4 teams in Houston right now are better offensively than all of those teams, however I do believe the depth perception will be effected.

How can this help us?
- We can pack the zone in more htan we have all year -- almost a "pack line zone D" thing. Keep all 5 guys below the 3pt line and if Berry/Paige want to shoot 16 3s, let them.
- We drive more and stop settling for 3s. The large part of our comeback against UVA came from attacking the basket. UNC's on the ball defenders are weaker than UVA's -- let's attack the Heels off the bounce and get some of their bigs in foul trouble.

How could this hurt us?
- UNC scores most of their points in the paint anyway, and they keep up that trend. Our only way to score with them is to be hot from 3, and the cavernous feel of that stadium really messes with us and we can't stop them down low on offense and can't score enough.

Overall, I think this might help us. Our best offensive ball lately has been penetration -- also if we pack the zone UNC could have issues getting the ball inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom