How about we stop throwing the pass | Syracusefan.com

How about we stop throwing the pass

dasher

Living Legend
to the guy that just ran the baseline and stepped out of bounds on his way to the corner. Twice this year we have been called for out of bounds even though the guy was 5 feet in bounds when he caught the ball. the one tonight, really cost us.

to the guy that just ran the baseline and stepped out of bounds on his way to the corner. Twice this year we have been called for out of bounds even though the guy was 5 feet in bounds when he caught the ball. the one tonight, really cost us.

I agree, or how about we stop running the baseline and running out of bounds...either way would work.

I never realized what they called there - good to know at least.

what about when there dude was out of bounds, never established himself in bounds, got the rebound..and they didnt call out of bounds.
lol... That was awful. I think it was G that just threw his arms up and looked at the baseline ref with a "are you even trying to do your job" expression.

How about when Mal gets bumped and goes out of bounds, it's Pitts ball, but when Lydon bumped the Pitt guy and he goes out of bounds, somehow that's a foul on Lydon.

As for the OP. I think it's an old rule finally being enforced. That whole issue isn't on the passer, but the cutter staying in bounds before he receives the ball.

that call has been in the books for 50 years and never seen it called and suddenly we get it twice ? why are no other teams getting that called ?

that call has been in the books for 50 years and never seen it called and suddenly we get it twice ? why are no other teams getting that called ?
Called last year in a game deciding situation in one of the mid major tournaments. Team A was actually holding for the last shot in a tie game and they were called for it. Their fans went nuts.

what a crummy rule
Not really. Guys were running their defenders right in to cheerleaders and fans. We all played basketball. How many times did you run out of bounds behind the basket?

Not really. Guys were running their defenders right in to cheerleaders and fans. We all played basketball. How many times did you run out of bounds behind the basket?

every once in awhile i would...

why would a defender guard a guy all the way out to the cheerleaders or crowd? He wouldn't. The ball and the hoop are behind him.

Also if it's such a big deal then just blow the whistle as soon as the guy steps out of bounds... why is it only called if he touches it first? Just seems like a rule to have a rule.

All that said, I agree with your original post. The players need to be aware, especially the guy who just ran out of bounds... don't present yourself to catch a pass once you've just run the entire baseline out of bounds.

every once in awhile i would...

why would a defender guard a guy all the way out to the cheerleaders or crowd? He wouldn't. The ball and the hoop are behind him.

Also if it's such a big deal then just blow the whistle as soon as the guy steps out of bounds... why is it only called if he touches it first? Just seems like a rule to have a rule.

All that said, I agree with your original post. The players need to be aware, especially the guy who just ran out of bounds... don't present yourself to catch a pass once you've just run the entire baseline out of bounds.
And this was the second time we have been hit with this. We have to be better than this. That call hurt.

my issue is that its never called, the same rule applies to the D and its never called. i have to read the rule to the effect what next to touch it means. i thought the player was dead until the ball changed hands. we used to run that play all the time to gmac.

I think the distinction is whether the player voluntarily left the court or was forced out of bounds. So in G's case they made the determination that he intentionally the baseline on a route that took him out of bounds. Because it was voluntary he needs to reestablish himself in bounds and someone else has to touch the ball before he does. If he had been pushed or bumped out of bounds by the defender than all he needs to do is reestablish himself in bounds and no violation.

I think the distinction is whether the player voluntarily left the court or was forced out of bounds. So in G's case they made the determination that he intentionally the baseline on a route that took him out of bounds. Because it was voluntary he needs to reestablish himself in bounds and someone else has to touch the ball before he does. If he had been pushed or bumped out of bounds by the defender than all he needs to do is reestablish himself in bounds and no violation.
exactly

How about our bigs stop traveling the first time they touch the ball each game for the last 15 years.
Just messing around :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom