How bad was the offense? | Syracusefan.com

How bad was the offense?

alphaorange

Starter
I understand that we weren't exactly world beaters but I have been reading the arguments back and forth about which was worse, the offense or the defense and I have a question. Since most that argue how bad the offense was, use statistics to try to prove their point, I wonder how many offensive possessions we got after defensive stops or turnovers compared to other teams. I would like to see the points per possession and then what our average starting field position was. As bad as the offense was, I just have a hard time remembering many defensive stops.

We had about the same amount of big gains this year vs last (27 vs 29), however we achieved that number with a lot more plays this year.

Nassib completions for over 25 yards
2010: 21 or 1 in 9.6 completions
2011: 20 or 1 in 12.95 completions

Starting RB rushes over 20 yards
2010: 8 or 1 in 28.875 carries
2011: 7 or 1 in 34.286 carries

I understand that we weren't exactly world beaters but I have been reading the arguments back and forth about which was worse, the offense or the defense and I have a question. Since most that argue how bad the offense was, use statistics to try to prove their point, I wonder how many offensive possessions we got after defensive stops or turnovers compared to other teams. I would like to see the points per possession and then what our average starting field position was. As bad as the offense was, I just have a hard time remembering many defensive stops.
Our yards sucked and it wasn't because they had great field position all the time.

It sucked.. all you need to do is watch Syracuse and then watch other college football games, what were we 98th in total O when the season closed, that should be all you need to know. The offense flat out sucks and has for 10 years really

On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) or offense looked alot like a deuce

It sucked.. all you need to do is watch Syracuse and then watch other college football games, what were we 98th in total O when the season closed, that should be all you need to know. The offense flat out sucks and has for 10 years really
It is delightful, purely for the irony, that the Bama-LSU game was 9 - 6.

On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) or offense looked alot like a deuce
stunk like one also

marrones "dead horse" offense was designed durring the civil war-granted that was before football was even invented -but marrone is going to stick with it till the bitter end-

its based on the "pickets charge" theory-go at the strongest point of the defense till you have no one left walking-

The offense did suck... but I think reversing the trend is going to revolve around more subtle fixes than those currently jumping out of windows tend to want to believe.

We should have been better this year. No doubt about it, and we tanked. This is a team in which the parts did not mesh well, and yet we showed competence against USC, fought back against Wake and Toledo, and kicked the holy hell out of WVU.

Point blank, we had too many times where we couldn't establish the run, too many times where we had drops on chances to move the chains, too many times where we were not able to hit open receivers and make defenses pay. It sounds horrible, but with added consistency in just one of those areas, we score a lot more points, feature a more entertaining product, take pressure off a young defense with its own share of issues, and IMO flip our record.

There is a lot of upside here, and it is visible. Will Dougie get us there, I don't know, but I feel a lot more comfortable seeing where the problems lie and trying to fix them, than bringing in a new regime where we will have to wait another three years to see what new problems jump up and must be addressed before reaching the next level...... meanwhile, wondering how long THAT coach has to make amends before people are calling for his head.

I don't know or care what the stats say, our offense was terrible.

We had about the same amount of big gains this year vs last (27 vs 29), however we achieved that number with a lot more plays this year.

Nassib completions for over 25 yards
2010: 21 or 1 in 9.6 completions
2011: 20 or 1 in 12.95 completions

Starting RB rushes over 20 yards
2010: 8 or 1 in 28.875 carries
2011: 7 or 1 in 34.286 carries
I would like to see stats for the first three
Quarters when we were still in most games

Most of you are missing the point. I'm not talking about explosiveness(big plays), degree of suckiness, or purely statistical analylis of the offense. I'm talking about a mixture of statistics where there is a blend of quantitative and qualitative. For example: We scored X amount of points per game but have Y amount of possessions. And to go further with this, how far did we have to go to score per possession? I'm not supporting the idea that we had a good offense but I am interested in seeing the true picture for what it is. That picture, in my opinion, is how much the the defense and special teams impacted the offense, and more specifically, the offensive opportunities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom