How can anyone stand to listen... | Syracusefan.com

How can anyone stand to listen...

PeteCalvin

Hall of Fame
to Lou Holtz? My gosh he's awful. Those other guys should take a wet rag and shove it in his mouth. The less he says the better. I wonder how much he slobbered all over his players when he blew a gasket at practice?

It's truly perplexing that he is on the air.

Ol' Marble Mouth. Might understand 15% of his words if I'm lucky.

I try to not hate. He is an exception. I was at a work conference that brought him in as an inpriational speaker. I did not go to that part. I genuinely hate hearing him speak. I cannot think of one person in college football announcing that I have ever felt this strongly about. I turn the channel at halftime when he is on. I don't care if I miss the start of the 2nd half. Worst announcer in any sport ever. I would listen to Dick Vitale give a 24 hourlng dissertation on the history of Duke before listening to one word from Holtz.

I try to not hate. He is an exception. I was at a work conference that brought him in as an inpriational speaker. I did not go to that part. I genuinely hate hearing him speak. I cannot think of one person in college football announcing that I have ever felt this strongly about. I turn the channel at halftime when he is on. I don't care if I miss the start of the 2nd half. Worst announcer in any sport ever. I would listen to Dick Vitale give a 24 hourlng dissertation on the history of Duke before listening to one word from Holtz.

Now this is a real question - talk about picking between a rock and a hard place.

Must admit that I also thought that Mark May should have been asked to tone down the relentless recruiting pitches for Pitt during the broadcast. Playing at Heinz Field a plus? Turf sucks and the place was three-quarters empty. Sure works for Temple at the Linc (not). We got constant looks at the same twenty or so fans decked up in Halloween regalia. There may not have been anyone else there, for all we know.

The Holtz/Vitale analogy is apt, although at least Vitale has been doing college hoops on ESPN forever. He gets a pass using the Paterno Rule--HE can decide when he'll retire. I think the only reason that Holtz is on the air is to bring some of those nostalgic Golden Domers to the broadcasts.

Listening to him talk makes me physically ill. It's the same as talking on the phone with someone while they're eating. Disgusting

I have an imaginary vision of him wearing a bib with drool dripping off his chin.

I don't usually enjoy him, but was I the only one who thought his points about paying college athletes were spot-on?

Most high-profile college football and basketball players currently dress pretty well and look better off than 90% of the student body. I don't begrudge them that - if they want to spend money on nice clothes, sneakers, jewelry, more power to them. But to cry poverty has always struck me as unseemly.

I don't usually enjoy him, but was I the only one who thought his points about paying college athletes were spot-on?

Most high-profile college football and basketball players currently dress pretty well and look better off than 90% of the student body. I don't begrudge them that - if they want to spend money on nice clothes, sneakers, jewelry, more power to them. But to cry poverty has always struck me as unseemly.

No, I agree. He was spot on about that and he said it perfectly.

Were the first two rows roped off as a splash zone?

I have to say, Dari Nowkhah did the Troy/FIU game on Tuesday on ESPN, and I thought he did a great job. I hope he transitions into play-by-play. Has a great voice, good personality, and a good sense of humor. Didn't try to take the game over and was smooth.

Were the first two rows roped off as a splash zone?
They gave him an entire wing of the conference center and gave attendees HAZMAT suits. Picture how they sealed off the house in ET.

sorry i was a little late on this, he actually stated (in reference to stories of mizzou moving) before the cuse v. wvu game last week that a team should have to win their league championship game before being allowed to leave the conference ...then said "syracuse and pitt should have to win the big east championship game, neither have ever won the championship game"

No, he makes Dick Vitale sound like Richard Attenborough.

Agreed. Vitale is actually quite articulate. This guy is beyond gibberish. Why they keep him on there is beyond me.

sorry i was a little late on this, he actually stated (in reference to stories of mizzou moving) before the cuse v. wvu game last week that a team should have to win their league championship game before being allowed to leave the conference ...then said "syracuse and pitt should have to win the big east championship game, neither have ever won the championship game"
... Championship Game?
for the big east? Ugh.

Florida International. University of Idaho. IT'S THE BIG EAST CHAMPIONSHIP.

Well done haha. but seriously i hope it's Rutgers vs FIU. Because that means rutgers never got invited anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom