How come no one ever talks about Leo Rautins as a coach for Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

How come no one ever talks about Leo Rautins as a coach for Syracuse

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I enjoyed listening to his broadcasting of these Canadian games. I think he would make a great big man coach. Actually he would probably make a great head coach somewhere.

I enjoyed listening to his broadcasting of these Canadian games. I think he would make a great big man coach. Actually he would probably make a great head coach somewhere.
Who knows what he'd say if asked -- but he makes more / has less headaches being the color guy for the Raptors.

He resigned as HC of the Canadian National Team after 6 years.

Maybe he prefers broadcasting to coaching?

He resigned as HC of the Canadian National Team after 6 years.

Maybe he prefers broadcasting to coaching?
Maybe he does but what I meant is how come no one on here talks about Leo coming back to Syracuse to coach. People bring up Derrick Coleman's name, people bring up Herman Harried's name, but I don't think anyone has every brought up Leo's name.

He just seems like a natural. A very intelligent ex-player with a great reputation in the basketball world.

In my view because given Leo's experience he would come as a head coach, if at all, and we already have our head coach present and future. If you weren't going to give the job to Mike, I don't know that I would give it to Leo, as he has not established recruiting experience.

But, the difference in the discussions of Leo and the other guys mentioned is that Leo would have to be the head guy, the other guys are discussed as assistants.

FWIW, this summer at an AAU national tournament, we had referees who were high school refs from the Baltimore area. I mentioned that Herm Harried was often rumored to be a future coach at Syracuse. All 3 responded with rolling eyes. They explained that they were not so impressed with Herm's style and (what I interpreted as) integrity. They felt he got where he is by aligning with Bob Wade.

Caveat: these guys may have had an ax to grind with Herm or any number of reasons to bad mouth him. Could be just jealousy. I thought it interesting though that all 3 had similar reactions independantly.

Florange44

In my view because given Leo's experience he would come as a head coach, if at all, and we already have our head coach present and future. If you weren't going to give the job to Mike, I don't know that I would give it to Leo, as he has not established recruiting experience.

But, the difference in the discussions of Leo and the other guys mentioned is that Leo would have to be the head guy, the other guys are discussed as assistants.
I agree with what you say about Leo's experience, but he is also 50+ years old and has never coached in major college basketball and like you say he has not established recruiting experience. I'm not sure Leo would have to be the head guy.

and how much would we pay him for a year-round, grinding job? How much does he make as a broadcaster? How smart do you think he is?

I was thinking the same thing - he just seems like a coach and he has been teaching the game for years. Plus very well spoken and intelligent. I'm sure it has more to do with his lack of recruiting connections and pay/age. He'd have to come in as an assistant which probably just doesn't work financially or lifestyle wise for him. I do think he'd be great though in terms of teaching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom