How did it get to this point with forwards? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How did it get to this point with forwards?

the best thing about these forwards is they will only get better
I like giving the shooter a big chance because we really need another one besides Girard.

But Brown is the only one who looks promising so far. Benny is fine defensively and rebounding wise, but has looked terrible offensively in 2 of 3 games. He’s gotta at least be “ok” there.

Bell doesn’t look like he can do anything but shoot….I think you keep starting him but come crunch time we see a lot of Torrence, Girard, Mintz, Brown/Benny, and Edwards.

So early though. Nice to have potential options. Just need at least one of those forwards to step up and play really solid, and we can get by at the other spot with the hot hand or going 3 guards.

I like giving the shooter a big chance because we really need another one besides Girard.

But Brown is the only one who looks promising so far. Benny is fine defensively and rebounding wise, but has looked terrible offensively in 2 of 3 games. He’s gotta at least be “ok” there.

Bell doesn’t look like he can do anything but shoot….I think you keep starting him but come crunch time we see a lot of Torrence, Girard, Mintz, Brown/Benny, and Edwards.

So early though. Nice to have potential options. Just need at least one of those forwards to step up and play really solid, and we can get by at the other spot with the hot hand or going 3 guards.
Taylor is going to be very good.

Benny not making a leap (seemingly) is tough. My biggest issue with him is that he's still shooting jump shots he shouldn't be shooting.

If he had rounded out and made a leap, essentially leaving one forward starting spot open and then one spot for backup mins, I would feel much better.

Hope Benny figures it out, but wouldn't be surprised in the near term if Sy is out there at the end of games with Mintz and Joe and Brown starts eating into minutes.

Just not sure how much runway Benny can still get. Feel bad, but the kid has to produce at some point.

Benny not making a leap (seemingly) is tough. My biggest issue with him is that he's still shooting jump shots he shouldn't be shooting.

If he had rounded out and made a leap, essentially leaving one forward starting spot open and then one spot for backup mins, I would feel much better.

Hope Benny figures it out, but wouldn't be surprised in the near term if Sy is out there at the end of games with Mintz and Joe and Brown starts eating into minutes.

Just not sure how much runway Benny can still get. Feel bad, but the kid has to produce at some point.
I think it's reasonable that Benny will figure out how to not take bad shots, and make a few more good shots.

That's really not a crazy expectation.

I actually don’t have a problem with our forwards. They are very green, yes. But I’ve said it months ago during the off season that Brown is going to surprise people. Said he’s the type of player that doesn’t do anything great but does everything well. Only game one but you can see what I mean. He’s not gonna average 15 points, 13 rebounds and 8 assists. But he’ll get you 8 points, 7 rebounds a couple steals and blocked shots on a consistent basis. He’s a very consistent player. Bell is very hot or miss, extremely inconsistent. He needs to be more consistent and rebound, then he’ll be fine. Taylor, the game is just a little too fast for him right now but that comes with experience and playing time. He’ll be fine. Benny is worrisome. Brown is our best forward from day one and will be by seasons end. Bell is going to have some huge nights and then some nights he has 2 points. Taylor is another consistent player but he just needs to get up to game speed. By season end our 2 best forwards will be Brown and Taylor and I think they both surprise people with how well they play.

I actually don’t have a problem with our forwards. They are very green, yes. But I’ve said it months ago during the off season that Brown is going to surprise people. Said he’s the type of player that doesn’t do anything great but does everything well. Only game one but you can see what I mean. He’s not gonna average 15 points, 13 rebounds and 8 assists. But he’ll get you 8 points, 7 rebounds a couple steals and blocked shots on a consistent basis. He’s a very consistent player. Bell is very hot or miss, extremely inconsistent. He needs to be more consistent and rebound, then he’ll be fine. Taylor, the game is just a little too fast for him right now but that comes with experience and playing time. He’ll be fine. Benny is worrisome. Brown is our best forward from day one and will be by seasons end. Bell is going to have some huge nights and then some nights he has 2 points. Taylor is another consistent player but he just needs to get up to game speed. By season end our 2 best forwards will be Brown and Taylor and I think they both surprise people with how well they play.

The problem is, Bell never has rebounded consistently. He didn't rebound at the high school level, and he's not rebounding now -- which should come as no surprise to those who've paid attention to this recruit, since we began pursuing him.

I think it's reasonable that Benny will figure out how to not take bad shots, and make a few more good shots.

My worry is that he's looking at jump shooting being his ticket and I don't think it ever will be even if he gets somewhat better.

But I hope I'm wrong. I really like Benny, I hope it turns for him.

The problem is, Bell never has rebounded consistently. He didn't rebound at the high school level, and he's not rebounding now -- which should come as no surprise to those who've paid attention to this recruit, since we began pursuing him.

The Southerland comps with Bunch Bell are very apparent.

Southy didn’t shoot well early in his career, and in spite of his height and plus athleticism, wasn’t much of a rebounder, and didn’t become an adequate defender until like his Junior year.

Bell is a one-trick pony right now, but if that one thing - shooting - isn’t happening for him, then he’s otherwise a net-negative on the floor.

It seems like Bell/JT/Q are gonna be the SF rotation, until either one just grabs the minutes, or one falls out of that rotation.

And likely Benny & Maliq split the PF minutes.

Southy didn’t shoot well early in his career, and in spite of his height and plus athleticism, wasn’t much of a rebounder, and didn’t become an adequate defender until like his Junior year.

Bell is a one-trick pony right now, but if that one thing - shooting - isn’t happening for him, then he’s otherwise a net-negative on the floor.

It seems like Bell/JT/Q are gonna be the SF rotation, until either one just grabs the minutes, or one falls out of that rotation.

Spot on.

Exactly this.

I totally agree and think it should be a very simple approach. Until you can make those shots consistently in practice, don't take them in the game. I realize this is nothing new and I am certain JB and the coaches say it over and over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom