How do we like this class so far? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How do we like this class so far?

Think Foy might have the fast track for this spot but we'll see what happens. Don't count out Omari Palmer, either. This will be the second biggest competition in camp behind QB.

How bout Nick Robinson?

I’ll say that I don’t believe there is a kid in the class who’s a reach. I like them all.

I really like the potential of Devan Carter. I think his size and speed is tops in the class. The kid had an amazing camp in Buffalo leading to the Syracuse offer. His numbers from that camp put him at the very top of all the NIKE combines nationally (we’re talking top 5 players) – elite numbers for his size - I know this because I checked all the NIKE results and had a post on it over the summer. (wish I saved it)

I really like Darius Kelly. He had a few picks this season and returned 2 for TDs so that’s cool. But the on field numbers that really caught my eye were the 484 kick return yards on 20 attempts. Doubling as their safety and kick returner I assume this to mean he’s a very athletic kid with speed. 1st team all conference on a bad JC team. That speaks well of him.

Josh Kirkland – not sure what it is but I think he maybe being sold short. He looks like his numbers suggest 6’3 215 and some room to get into the 220’s if he’s not there already. I really liked his reads and pursuit in the videos, his closing speed and his tackling. Sure tackler, hard hitter. He’s certainly bigger than both Dan Vaughan and Cam Lynch – lets just hope he’s faster – he appears to me to run well and won’t be a liability in pass coverage. If he is faster he’ll be a big upgrade and in the mix.

Butler CC is no JC slouch either. They were 11-1 this season. Kirkland was 6th on the team in tackles with 66 total (35 solos). 6 sacks, 13 TFL and 4 pass breakups. 4 pass breakups is pretty darn good for a linebacker. I can really see him being the surprise of the class.

For kicks and giggles I searched Butlers top 5 tacklers – ahead of Kirkland wondered how the recruiting world viewed them.

1) Blake Bean LB (offers) – Buffalo
2) Tate Omli DB (offers) – Northern Iowa
3) Rahmon Swain LB (committed) South Florida
4) Tim McGaha LB – no information
5) Tommy Sanders LB (committed) Texas A&M (this kid had major offers)
6) Josh Kirkland LB (committed) Syracuse

I'm totally fine with OL. They missed out on their top choice, i'm happy they didn't settle for a 2nd or 3rd option, that would have clogged up a scholarship for 4 or 5 years. Personally I really like the young talent we have on our OL. Miller was a good veteran pick up to add to the depth. I think it will be a strength next year. Arciniega was a huge pick up for LB, making us a solid 2 deep at each position. Another HS commit would be nice there, but overall happy they aren't reaching on B list HS kids

What are the chance J. Pugh comes back next year? It is not a given he will jump to the NFL, is it?

Carter has been fully cleared for weeks. He's back to training full go with no restrictions. He's been lifting hard and up to 230lbs.

Appreciate the update very much. I'm excited to see him in our defense. Seems like he's got the speed and aggressive nature to really mesh well with what our defense does well.

Oh, ok. I thought he was Chibane's backup this season.
Might have been. I'm not sure how accurate the roster is compared to the two deep that the coaches release.

I think it's an ok class. Not overwhelming, not terrible. We'll be able to compete with this type of class. For it to be a big impact class we'll need some guys to really outperform their rankings. Would like to see guys like Smith that people have said are our guys already actually commit and just be in the fold.

I don't worry as much about the recruiting now though because I think we have winning systems for college football.

Do you hear that, OPA? I said I don't worry about talent as much anymore because we have better systems.

99.9% chance dudes gone.
With the running game and the potential of starting a true freshmen next year, boy would it be nice having JP in that key tackle spot.

I think it's an ok class. Not overwhelming, not terrible. We'll be able to compete with this type of class. For it to be a big impact class we'll need some guys to really outperform their rankings. Would like to see guys like Smith that people have said are our guys already actually commit and just be in the fold.

I don't worry as much about the recruiting now though because I think we have winning systems for college football.

Do you hear that, OPA? I said I don't worry about talent as much anymore because we have better systems.
You are now one happy puppy.

Forgot about Nick. He'll be in the mix. Don't think he's big enough quite yet but I know he is well thought of.

Mix for that important L-OT spot might include a JUCO who has yet to decide; or a position shift as coaches try to get best available 5 on the field.

Mix for that important L-OT spot might include a JUCO who has yet to decide; or a position shift as coaches try to get best available 5 on the field.
No, it would be Hickey if Pugh leaves.

Unless Loeb is the QB, then the RT spot is more important and Hickey stays there.

No, it would be Hickey if Pugh leaves.

Unless Loeb is the QB, then the RT spot is more important and Hickey stays there.
Good point -- and what I meant was that the open OT spot might be filled by Trudo, as one example, since we have guys who can fill the guard spots (Palmer, Foy, or the JUCO Miller). I would assume the coaches will shuffle the deck in the Spring, looking for the best 5.

Good point -- and what I meant was that the open OT spot might be filled by Trudo, as one example, since we have guys who can fill the guard spots (Palmer, Foy, or the JUCO Miller). I would assume the coaches will shuffle the deck in the Spring, looking for the best 5.
I can't see any scenario where Trudo moves outside. Honestly think he moves to Center when Macky leaves. He was very good at Guard for us this season.

I can't see any scenario where Trudo moves outside. Honestly think he moves to Center when Macky leaves. He was very good at Guard for us this season.
Agree Trudo was very good -- arguably, our second best OL, and good prospect to be even better in 2013. Foy was OK at guard; Palmer might be the best of the RF. Miller, the JUCO, played C and could be an OG.

In the current mix, who are the best 5? Trudo, Palmer/Miller, Macky, Foy, Hickey.

Agree Trudo was very good -- arguably, our second best OL, and good prospect to be even better in 2013. Foy was OK at guard; Palmer might be the best of the RF. Miller, the JUCO, played C and could be an OG.

In the current mix, who are the best 5? Trudo, Palmer/Miller, Macky, Foy, Hickey.
I don't think depth is as bad as it has been. It is of course not where DM wants it, but compared to the past, there is not as much as a talent gap as there was between 1 and 2.

I think DM has been quoted as being excited about all the young linemen. Emrich at one point was talked about as not being RS and DM is very high on Knapp.

It is a very telling thing when we talk about being thin and it is about the underclassmen who will be coming up and not the starting line:E. The program has gone all "warp speed" compared to this
Meldrum.jpg

PS
Even though many players in the past might not have been what we needed to win, I am always grateful for those who decided to attend SU. I hate dogging on student athletes that came and gave us the best they had even if it was for a loosing cause.

Mem

I don't think depth is as bad as it has been. It is of course not where DM wants it, but compared to the past, there is not as much as a talent gap as there was between 1 and 2.

I think DM has been quoted as being excited about all the young linemen. Emrich at one point was talked about as not being RS and DM is very high on Knapp.

It is a very telling thing when we talk about being thin and it is about the underclassmen who will be coming up and not the starting line:E. The program has gone all "warp speed" compared to this
Meldrum.jpg

PS
Even though many players in the past might not have been what we needed to win, I am always grateful for those who decided to attend SU. I hate dogging on student athletes that came and gave us the best they had even if it was for a loosing cause.

Mem

I always get a kick out if that picture and it seems to get posted every couple weeks. But not all is that much different. The color, tightness and angle makes it look bad. But if anyone really looks at our current linemen they have as much of a gut as these 3 and Bart and McKenzie may have less. Any 300 pound lineman has a gut. That pic just makes it look worse.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I absolutely love Trudo's intensity and the mean streak he plays with. He always finds a way to get under the other team's skin.

I am having a hard time evaluating this class other than the skill positions, with which we seem to have done quite well compared to recent years (and we might even do better). However, I haven't yet digested the JUCOs. Have we filled the needs in good fashion or are we just trying to get holes plugged as best we can? Nothing against JUCOs just wondering how well we have done so far.
You are going to love this class and its JUCO members like no other class that Doug has brought in. The one player in my limited mind that will make this class superior is Laray Smith because of his breakaway ability. I know that Ebo is the player that many here and elsewhere symbolizes that kind of class but to be he only makes the DE position extra deep. We have players in there at this moment and for this coming September who are very capable and productive in resume and deed.:eek:

I really like this class so far and if we can get the two ny kids and any other high targets the staff wants I'll be even more happy with it. Would I like more depth at the oline, yes but at the same time I don't just want them to add a body unless the staff is sold on the kid. Phillips has proven to be a heck of a sub and hopefully that doesn't hurt his playing time if he is as good as other guys but doesn't start because he can play multiple positions and it seems that they like Robinson as he is the guy used in the tank formation. Love Trudo and when he was signed he was my #1 player I liked out of that class.

Top 3 in my opinion is Hickey, Macky, and Trudo in that order. Which means you have a tackle, center, and guard. I imagine they fill out around this. Left guard is the easiest replacement with Robinson, Miller, Foy, or Palmer all capable. Of those 4, the one I see most likely to move outside is Foy. Tackle is the bigger problem. Currently I think Phillips and Knapp are the only two listed at T. That means JUCOs and hopefully the kid from GA round out the group. But, in the end I think either Foy or Robinson comes outside also. Hickey is a beast and we may only have him one more year. Of course the best plan is to have Pugh stay. I know we started an Ebo thread. Seems like it is more important to start a Justin thread listing the reasons of why he should stay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom