How do we like this class so far? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How do we like this class so far?

Top 3 in my opinion is Hickey, Macky, and Trudo in that order. Which means you have a tackle, center, and guard. I imagine they fill out around this. Left guard is the easiest replacement with Robinson, Miller, Foy, or Palmer all capable. Of those 4, the one I see most likely to move outside is Foy. Tackle is the bigger problem. Currently I think Phillips and Knapp are the only two listed at T. That means JUCOs and hopefully the kid from GA round out the group. But, in the end I think either Foy or Robinson comes outside also. Hickey is a beast and we may only have him one more year. Of course the best plan is to have Pugh stay. I know we started an Ebo thread. Seems like it is more important to start a Justin thread listing the reasons of why he should stay.
Here's my guess based on Loeb being our starter.

RT Hickey
RG Trudo
C Macky
LG Foy
LT JUCO yet to be determined/Knapp

RT Hickey
RG Trudo
C Macky
LG Foy
I agree but have a feeling that Miller may find his way into the LG position

RT Hickey
RG Trudo
C Macky
LG Foy

I have a feeling that Knapp is going to be a very good player for us. Might need another year in the S&C program, and start making a dent as a third year sophomore.

Anyone know who the mystery QB is that Marrone mentioned on his show?

Of those 4, the one I see most likely to move outside is Foy. Tackle is the bigger problem. Currently I think Phillips and Knapp are the only two listed at T. That means JUCOs and hopefully the kid from GA round out the group. But, in the end I think either Foy or Robinson comes outside also.

I'll eat my hat if Ivan Foy moves to tackle. He's not a tackle and never will be.

I'll eat my hat if Ivan Foy moves to tackle. He's not a tackle and never will be.

Who then? We have Knapp and Phillips. Someone has to move. Robinson maybe but Foy's feet look quicker- insert Rex joke here.

Foy has good feet for a guard not a tackle. i think Miller will be the guard, and will also back up macky at center along with emerich.

Who then? We have Knapp and Phillips. Someone has to move. Robinson maybe but Foy's feet look quicker- insert Rex joke here.
Why does someone have to move? We have a very good shot at two potential JUCO tackles coming in as well. Robinson/Foy wouldn't make the transition.

Why does someone have to move? We have a very good shot at two potential JUCO tackles coming in as well. Robinson/Foy wouldn't make the transition.

I think people might be a little gun shy after our last two experiences with JUCO tackles... :eek: ***cough Hay, Sweet Lou, cough, cough****:eek:

Lets see who they bring in as JUCOs, let them all compete and someone needs to step up and claim the job

I think people might be a little gun shy after our last two experiences with JUCO tackles... :eek: ***cough Hay, Sweet Lou, cough, cough****:eek:

Lets see who they bring in as JUCOs, let them all compete and someone needs to step up and claim the job
Oh I definitely think the JUCO will have their work cut out for them to fight off Knapp/Phillips but we aren't going to move a guard to tackle because that would be worse than Lou "matador" Alexander. I thought Hay was much more serviceable than Lou besides the stupid personal fouls.

Oh I definitely think the JUCO will have their work cut out for them to fight off Knapp/Phillips but we aren't going to move a guard to tackle because that would be worse than Lou "matador" Alexander. I thought Hay was much more serviceable than Lou besides the stupid personal fouls.

It concerns me even more though that the Lou was ahead of Phillips. If you look at the G/C spot, you have macky followed by emerich at C. G has trudo, foy, robinson, palmer, and this miller character. Miller is the wild card but I think the other 4 can play. Then it becomes a numbers thing that would make me consider a move. If Dave Diehl can play tackle after being a guard then I wouldn't close the door on any of the younger guys. That jiggly breast of #74s on your avatar made me throw up a little in my mouth. I thought it was Wilfork at first.

yeah...I'm not suggesting moving Foy or Palmer or Miller or Trudo...

Knapp, Phillips and possibly Robinson plus whatever JUCOs they can bring in I would hope would be serviceable.

Hay liked to hold a little bit...actually the problem was not the holding but it was getting CAUGHT holding...Holding and getting away with it is OK...its the getting caught thats the problem

yea think the class is solid...could be very good with a smith, ebo and hayes commit. Like a couple of posters said our system now that we have in place will make us be a player in the ACC. Feel really good about the future of syracuse football.

Couple times this year DM was singling Knapp out, saying our DEs were performing better because they had to practice against him all week.

He said the same things about Pugh when he was redshirting, then Hickey a couple years later.

I think if you look at all the Juco's SU has brought in the last few years very, very few of them have come in and been dominant or even one of the best players on the team. My feeling is that they are bringing in more Juco's his year to balance out the classes and provide depth because the last two recruiting classes were pretty big. I think some on the board are underestimating the talent we currently have on the roster, especially on the Oline. Macky, Hickey and Trudo (and obviously Pugh if he returns) are locks, but guys like Philips, Foy, Robinson, Knapp, Emmrich and Palmer are not going to let a Juco guy come in andntakentheir spot. In fact, I will change my avatar to Pee Wee Herman if a Juco is starting on the Oline in the firstb

i agree. I think we are underestimating the talent on this team. I was wondering why they havent tried to get playmaking WR. But I heard that Marrone and staff are pretty excited about the group of WR's coming up. Including Funderburk

Whoops, hit the wrong button...to finish my thought. There is no way in hell they all get beat out for a starting spot by a newcomer in game one next year!

We also need high quality players on the special & scout teams. I really don't like to see our starters also having to deal with double duty.

I think if you look at all the Juco's SU has brought in the last few years very, very few of them have come in and been dominant or even one of the best players on the team. My feeling is that they are bringing in more Juco's his year to balance out the classes and provide depth because the last two recruiting classes were pretty big. I think some on the board are underestimating the talent we currently have on the roster, especially on the Oline. Macky, Hickey and Trudo (and obviously Pugh if he returns) are locks, but guys like Philips, Foy, Robinson, Knapp, Emmrich and Palmer are not going to let a Juco guy come in andntakentheir spot. In fact, I will change my avatar to Pee Wee Herman if a Juco is starting on the Oline in the firstb

I'll take that bet. I'd bet you even money that if Pugh leaves, a JUCO will be starting opposite Hickey at the other tackle spot.

i agree. I think we are underestimating the talent on this team. I was wondering why they havent tried to get playmaking WR. But I heard that Marrone and staff are pretty excited about the group of WR's coming up. Including Funderburk

i was about to say the same thing. i think our O-line is being totally under rated, and see it as a strength next year. Sure there are some question marks, but i have a feeling those question marks are going to turn out to be extremely good. i see this as a talented group, especially up the middle. Obviously Center is solid with Mackey, and then you have Emerich waiting in the wings, who I feel will step right in and not miss a beat, maybe even upgrade the position a little once he gets his shot. You even have Trudo in a bench. As for guard Trudo and Foy I see as solid starters with Miller, Palmer, Robinson, and possibly Savage providing depth. As for tackle Hickey will hold down one side of the line depending on who is qb, and you will have Knapp/Phillips on the other side. I fully expect this to be Knapp based on everything that has been said about him. If we can land Jaylen Hunter that even solidifies the position even more. And all that is under the assumption our best lineman by far declares. This is an under rated group that will surprise some people.

yeah...I'm not suggesting moving Foy or Palmer or Miller or Trudo...

Knapp, Phillips and possibly Robinson plus whatever JUCOs they can bring in I would hope would be serviceable.

Hay liked to hold a little bit...actually the problem was not the holding but it was getting CAUGHT holding...Holding and getting away with it is OK...its the getting caught thats the problem
i was about to say the same thing. i think our O-line is being totally under rated, and see it as a strength next year. Sure there are some question marks, but i have a feeling those question marks are going to turn out to be extremely good. i see this as a talented group, especially up the middle. Obviously Center is solid with Mackey, and then you have Emerich waiting in the wings, who I feel will step right in and not miss a beat, maybe even upgrade the position a little once he gets his shot. You even have Trudo in a bench. As for guard Trudo and Foy I see as solid starters with Miller, Palmer, Robinson, and possibly Savage providing depth. As for tackle Hickey will hold down one side of the line depending on who is qb, and you will have Knapp/Phillips on the other side. I fully expect this to be Knapp based on everything that has been said about him. If we can land Jaylen Hunter that even solidifies the position even more. And all that is under the assumption our best lineman by far declares. This is an under rated group that will surprise some people.
Now we have added another kid for 2014. Our line has reached the point of improvement on quality as is the case for next season. After all these many years Doug has finally made the unit a strength which is going to help us greatly next season for the offense New QB and running game benefiting big time for the A inauguration.

I'll take that bet. I'd bet you even money that if Pugh leaves, a JUCO will be starting opposite Hickey at the other tackle spot.

Sounds good...$20 I owe you if that happens or you owe me if it doesn't. Check the video, these Juco's are good, but in no way are they better than what we already have!

Sounds good...$20 I owe you if that happens or you owe me if it doesn't. Check the video, these Juco's are good, but in no way are they better than what we already have!
Gambling at Rick's? I'm shocked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom