how does a redhot 6' player... | Syracusefan.com

how does a redhot 6' player...

newmexicuse

All Conference
get off thirteen three point attempts without a hand in his face????

9 times out of 10 that guy shoots 28% on those shots. Tonight was the 10th time.

We never adjusted. I kept waiting for us to push the zone out. Make them beat us in the paint. As good as JB was last game he got spanked tonight
it is not even a matter of pushing the zone out, just find the hot hand. how often do we see that not done.

People seem to get career highs vs this team, even when the D is very good. It just happens, I dont blame Boeheim.

Then why does it happen? We key on certain players, then others get hot. We don’t make adjustments and get behind. We can’t play offense so each defensive pocession becomes more and more critical. We then forget our assignments and make more mistakes. It’s a self fulfilling prophesy.

Then why does it happen? We key on certain players, then others get hot. We don’t make adjustments and get behind. We can’t play offense so each defensive pocession becomes more and more critical. We then forget our assignments and make more mistakes. It’s a self fulfilling prophesy.
Guys don’t get double teamed and/or you can’t put your best defender on the hot player. VT had 23 assists. They were moving the ball intelligently.

Guys don’t get double teamed and/or you can’t put your best defender on the hot player. VT had 23 assists. They were moving the ball intelligently.

Yep...Absolutely...We got absolutely killed. They could beat us inside which opened up outside. They have multiple good shooters and outstanding passers. The zone got exposed...

Buzz Williams does an excellent job against the zone. He had #4 at the high post one big low and three shooters around the perimeter. Tech moved the ball well and got great looks inside and out. Honestly this was the kind of game where I found Hop’s idea of multiple defenses appealing. Tech is just a really bad matchup for this team.

get off thirteen three point attempts without a hand in his face????
It's because all we do is play zone defense at Syracuse. It's the only situation where being one-dimensional supposedly defies logic and results in guaranteed success in every game/endeavor.

9 times out of 10 that guy shoots 28% on those shots. Tonight was the 10th time.
Keep telling yourself that it was just a statistical aberration. Tech shot pretty close to their averages from deep. They got whatever shot they wanted because we had no post defense. The way we collapse on the post you’d think that midrange shot is worth 6 points. It defies logic.

Keep telling yourself that it was just a statistical aberration. Tech shot pretty close to their averages from deep. They got whatever shot they wanted because we had no post defense. The way we collapse on the post you’d think that midrange shot is worth 6 points. It defies logic.

GREAT POST!

I was saying to my buddies before the game that if there was ever a game we could give ourselves a better shot to win by playing man to man, IT'S TONIGHT. Now listen, I'm fully aware that we have a better shot of seeing Tupac, Biggie, and Elvis having breakfast together at Mothers Cupboard than us playing a non-2-3-zone defense. Who's going to say "here we go again"? Point is, this stubborn old coach just doesn't get it.

Virginia Tech had no business trouncing us to the tune of a 20 point margin, no business. We have the better athletes and better team. This was coaching and defensive philosophy against that particular team that did us in and I'm tired of this happening over and over again. Being one-dimensional in life never helps in any endeavor.

now if zion is in the middle you need to collapse, but against what vt had down low, chuk should have been able to defend wo help.

Buzz Williams does an excellent job against the zone. He had #4 at the high post one big low and three shooters around the perimeter. Tech moved the ball well and got great looks inside and out. Honestly this was the kind of game where I found Hop’s idea of multiple defenses appealing. Tech is just a really bad matchup for this team.

Buzz had 5 days to prepare for a zone he has played against many times. We had two days to prepare for an away game against an experienced lineup that moves the ball and can shoot the rock. We got an expected loss but the curb stumping we received from start to finish was an unpleasant surprise.

Virginia Tech had no business trouncing us to the tune of a 20 point margin, no business. We have the better athletes and better team. This was coaching and defensive philosophy against that particular team that did us in and I'm tired of this happening over and over again. Being one-dimensional in life never helps in any endeavor.

Va Tech is #3 in the country in 3-pt FG %. Playing m2m against them doesn't work either.

Maybe I was seeing things but I saw him hit a lot of 3’s with a hand in his face.

I think, as you stated, you may have been seeing things. ;)

According to JB:

Defensively we did a very poor job finding Robinson,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “They did a good job finding him on offense. We did a very poor job. ... We didn’t recognize where he was. He’s shooting, nobody within 10 feet of him. Our defense, very seldom, has allowed anyone to do that.”

I know Jimmy likes the #10, so let's say...5 feet. :)

Va Tech is #3 in the country in 3-pt FG %. Playing m2m against them doesn't work either.
It doesn't? I wonder how they lost by 20+ to two teams then, and recently. It sure does better than zone. My Steelers tried zone against Tom Brady prior to this year, didn't work out for them either.

I wish I could like this 100 times over.

There were several players hitting from deep for them last night. Usually I agree w this but not last night.

We have the better athletes and better team.

Based on what your personal fantasy?

Last I checked VT was a top 10 team in both polls and they were playing on their home court. It sucks that we didn't play better and make a game of it, but to expect this team to walk into Blacksburg and beat them would be foolish.

We don't have the better team at this point. And because it was a basketball game and not the decathalon, I'm not sure that who has the better athletes is even relevant.

I think, as you stated, you may have been seeing things. ;)

According to JB:

Defensively we did a very poor job finding Robinson,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “They did a good job finding him on offense. We did a very poor job. ... We didn’t recognize where he was. He’s shooting, nobody within 10 feet of him. Our defense, very seldom, has allowed anyone to do that.”

I know Jimmy likes the #10, so let's say...5 feet. :)

Video don’t lie.

It doesn't? I wonder how they lost by 20+ to two teams then, and recently. It sure does better than zone. My Steelers tried zone against Tom Brady prior to this year, didn't work out for them either.

Part of the answer in both cases is they were outplayed by the other team's offense.

Virginia put up 81 points and UNC put up 103. Va Tech still shot 46% from three and made 13 threes against UNC's man defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom