how does a redhot 6' player... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

how does a redhot 6' player...

Tech is really good. Anyone dismissing their talent is ignorant or stubborn...maybe both. I thought they were very very impressive last night. Their defense locked us down like I haven’t seen in a very long time.

get off thirteen three point attempts without a hand in his face????
Outstanding ball movement. As a basketball fan I really enjoyed watching Va. Tech's offense operate last night. Great spacing, great ball reversals, and a minimum of four guys on the floor very confident from the perimeter.

...... As a Syracuse fan it had me throwing things at the TV.

It's because all we do is play zone defense at Syracuse. It's the only situation where being one-dimensional supposedly defies logic and results in guaranteed success in every game/endeavor.

Of course, going into last night that same zone beat Buzz and the Hokies 4 out of the 5 times we've played them.

So there's that...

Video don’t lie.

So, to be clear, you're implying that JB is lying? I can't imagine such sentiment.

Here's a quote from the horse's mouth as well. But never mind him either as he apparently must be "lying" as well.

“We knew we had to get the ball into the high-post and let the high-post guy operate,” Robinson said. “It puts (a defense) in a bind. You’re going to have guys going to the corner and a guy staying up top. So who do you take? Unless (they) manned up when (we) put the ball into the paint. It’s something we exploited. They kept leaving me open.”

It doesn't? I wonder how they lost by 20+ to two teams then, and recently. It sure does better than zone. My Steelers tried zone against Tom Brady prior to this year, didn't work out for them either.
1.) UVA beats everyone by 20.
2.) UNC shot the eyes out of the bucket--16 made 3's.

So, to be clear, you're implying that JB is lying? I can't imagine such sentiment.

Here's a quote from the horse's mouth as well. But never mind him either as he apparently must be "lying" as well.

“We knew we had to get the ball into the high-post and let the high-post guy operate,” Robinson said. “It puts (a defense) in a bind. You’re going to have guys going to the corner and a guy staying up top. So who do you take? Unless (they) manned up when (we) put the ball into the paint. It’s something we exploited. They kept leaving me open.”

No JB doesn’t lie. He didnt say every one of their 3’s were wide open. And what I said was that several weren’t.

i been saying this for the last 5 years or so. the goal defensively for every game, with a rare exception like duke or kentucky with multiple skilled bigs, should be to defend the 3 pt line. jb still likes to dare teams to make 3s, then if they get hot adjust the zone. this isnt 1998 anymore, if theyre open kids make 3s today like theyre layups no matter how deep they are. force guys to make foul line jumpers or elbow jumpers or baseline jumpers, those arent the shots kids are shooting growing up these days. you know what they are shooting? THREE POINTERS!!!
on 1 of va techs first possessions of 2nd half we gave up an open foul line jumper and it was a brick. id give up that every single game.

putting a token hand up after the player has already squared his feet and stepped into his shot like howard doea countless times a game doesnt count as a hand in your face. its called lazy defense.

Yea, that’s not what I’m talking about either. We do play zone you know. We dont play man to man. So nobody is just going to stay with a man. There were several times when our defender got back out on the shooter and got a hand up. A few times if their hand was any more in their face they would have slapped the shooter. You know some players just make great shots sometimes. It’s not always because the defender did something wrong.

No JB doesn’t lie. He didnt say every one of their 3’s were wide open. And what I said was that several weren’t.

“Defensively we did a very poor job finding Robinson,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “They did a good job finding him on offense. We did a very poor job. ... We didn’t recognize where he was. He’s shooting, nobody within 10 feet of him. Our defense, very seldom, has allowed anyone to do that.”

Okay, I see how you are choosing to play this out here. You're right, he didn't say "every" one in his quote, although no one here said anything about "every" one anyways. I think most here would conclude based upon what JB actually said, along with the game itself, that Robinson had plenty of wide open looks.

“Defensively we did a very poor job finding Robinson,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “They did a good job finding him on offense. We did a very poor job. ... We didn’t recognize where he was. He’s shooting, nobody within 10 feet of him. Our defense, very seldom, has allowed anyone to do that.”

Okay, I see how you are choosing to play this out here. You're right, he didn't say "every" one in his quote, although no one here said anything about "every" one anyways. I think most here would conclude based upon what JB actually said, along with the game itself, that Robinson had plenty of wide open looks.

Go back to my very first post on the subject which you then replied to and you will see I was responding to newmex who said Robinson got off 13 threes without a hand in his face. That’s what I said I didn’t agree with actually. And i wasn’t seeing things.

Go back to my very first post on the subject which you then replied to and you will see I was responding to newmex who said Robinson got off 13 threes without a hand in his face. That’s what I said I didn’t agree with actually. And i wasn’t seeing things.

You apparently interpreted his "without a hand in the face" on all his shots literally v. figuratively. I think his point was not in the literal sense, but more of how very wide open he actually was on a plethora of shots he took, similar to how JB stated that nobody was within 10 feet of him. And, just as another poster alluded to, running out on a shooter from a distance after the fact/he is at his release point so that the run out has no actual affect on his shot, doesn't count here.

You apparently interpreted his "without a hand in the face" on all his shots literally v. figuratively. I think his point was not in the literal sense, but more of how very wide open he actually was on a plethora of shots he took, similar to how JB stated that nobody was within 10 feet of him. And, just as another poster alluded to, running out on a shooter from a distance after the fact/he is at his release point so that the run out has no actual affect on his shot, doesn't count here.

I’m not a mind reader. He asked how can a 6’ player “get off thirteen three point attempts without a hand in his face????”

I responded.

Yea, that’s not what I’m talking about either. We do play zone you know. We dont play man to man. So nobody is just going to stay with a man. There were several times when our defender got back out on the shooter and got a hand up. A few times if their hand was any more in their face they would have slapped the shooter. You know some players just make great shots sometimes. It’s not always because the defender did something wrong.
The problem is how they do that. They rotate to the shooter and then put their hand up. It's so frustrating. Get your arm up on the way there so you give the shooter a distraction.

The problem is how they do that. They rotate to the shooter and then put their hand up. It's so frustrating. Get your arm up on the way there so you give the shooter a distraction.

One of the problems last night was the clinic VT put on with great ball movement, passing, and knowing where to reposition as the SU zone reacted. That in turn resulted in the close outs to the open shooters being much longer than they typical are.

This was not a function, IMO, of SU losing track of Robinson or the other shooters as much as it was a result of great execution, passing, and shooting. The rotations couldn't get there fast enough and Robinson is lightening quick when relocating and getting his shot off.

The game was lost on the other end of the floor.

Part of the answer in both cases is they were outplayed by the other team's offense.

Virginia put up 81 points and UNC put up 103. Va Tech still shot 46% from three and made 13 threes against UNC's man defense.
1.) UVA beats everyone by 20.
2.) UNC shot the eyes out of the bucket--16 made 3's.
Let's just play zone for eternity then. We're 40-48 against real competition in the 5 years prior to 18-19. Looks like it's working. Oh wait we went to the final four twice. Lightning in a bottle erases all logic.

Part of the answer in both cases is they were outplayed by the other team's offense.

Virginia put up 81 points and UNC put up 103. Va Tech still shot 46% from three and made 13 threes against UNC's man defense.
So a defense that gives MORE open looks from the perimeter would fare better? Do you have any idea why sh## teams like ODU, UConn, and Georgia Tech have regularly beaten us over the last 5+ years??? It's not our offense either, stop blaming that. I know it's convenient, but stop blaming that. There's a white elephant in the room and it's not our offense.

Tech is really good. Anyone dismissing their talent is ignorant or stubborn...maybe both. I thought they were very very impressive last night. Their defense locked us down like I haven’t seen in a very long time.

Exactly. We did not play good D. If you cannot find the hot hand on a team that is #3 in the country in 3PT % you will not be successful. We were in his face a lot and he still made shots - it happens. The guy just had a night like Hughes did against Miami only better, a career night.

They're not ranked #10 for no reason. AND our great shooting Wednesday did not translate to Blacksburg. Sometimes your hot and sometimes your not - this time we weren't luke warm and could not hit - plenty of looks - nothing going down. Oshae had some good moments driving and making but we can't get a W with just he alone.

Paschal was just having one of those nights where he's not present as opposed to Wednesday - cannot afford it - MD can't hold his position for long against a team like that. PC has to be consistent against good teams or we're in trouble. Gotta move on and WIN. GOSU :)

Let's just play zone for eternity then. We're 40-48 against real competition in the 5 years prior to 18-19. Looks like it's working. Oh wait we went to the final four twice. Lightning in a bottle erases all logic.

We won 30 games the first final four and 28 the year after so your math doesn’t make sense. We are also 5-2 in the ACC right now.

Why do we have to bring up spilled milk after every game we lose when we can still have a good season FFS?

when you're repeatedly punched in the face by the same jab you might want to consider adjusting your stance.
I doubt anything would have helped considering the great play of Tech last night.

And you think that’s because we play zone? Not because we haven’t had the greatest teams during that period.

We play zone defense. Our program practices and plays zone exclusively. When someone gets hot against us it would be no more effective to switch to a defense we don’t practice than to say, start feeding Chewy in the post because we can’t hit outside shots. Both would be different, but sometimes it’s more effective to work harder at what you actually practice than to roll out something you don’t work on.

We won 30 games the first final four and 28 the year after so your math doesn’t make sense. We are also 5-2 in the ACC right now.

Why do we have to bring up spilled milk after every game we lose when we can still have a good season FFS?
"Real competition". Not cupcakes bud. Apply that and the math will add up for ya. With cupcakes we're 61-48.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom