How good is Rutgers really? | Syracusefan.com

How good is Rutgers really?

SURules

All Conference
A look at Rutgers' schedule shows that we have no idea how good they might be. They really haven't dominated anyone yet and they haven't played anyone with a winning record outside of Howard. Yes, Howard. Here is a look at their schedule:
@Tulane 0-5
Howard 4-1
@South Fla 2-4
@Arkansa 2-4
UConn 3-3
Total Opponents Record 11-17

Yes, RU is 5-0 but most of those opponents wins came from freak'n HOWARD!! That is not a top 25 ranked teams schedule which is a complete joke. Thus, once you look under the covers, it's really hard to take their #20/#19 ranking seriously.

Now Syracuse in comparison is:
Northwestern 5-1
USC (MetLife) 4-1
Stony Brook 2-3
@Minnesota 4-1
Pitt 2-3
Total Opponents Record 17-9

We are 2-3 but so close to being 3-2 or maybe even 4-1 but we just not there yet. Close but no cigar and we are what our record is as the saying goes. But when looking at the schedules, and also looking a how RU is very opportunistic on scoring with Turn Overs and short field position, we should win this if we don't turn the ball over and limit the penalties.

Given all that, I expect a hard fought and low scoring game played by both defenses. I'm also wondering if the RU team is all caught up in their new ranking and think this game might be a push over as we are the lowly Syracuse football team. The bottom feeders of the NBE and they just have to show up :)

Go 'Cuse and beat the crap out of Rutgers!! Final farewell game to end the series.

Stony Brook is 5-1.
Which includes a victory over an Army team that just beat BC.

BC is really bad this year. Man, New England football in general is a mess right now.

A look at Rutgers' schedule shows that we have no idea how good they might be. They really haven't dominated anyone yet and they haven't played anyone with a winning record outside of Howard. Yes, Howard. Here is a look at their schedule:
@Tulane 0-5
Howard 4-1
@South Fla 2-4
@Arkansa 2-4
UConn 3-3
Total Opponents Record 11-17

Yes, RU is 5-0 but most of those opponents wins came from freak'n HOWARD!! That is not a top 25 ranked teams schedule which is a complete joke. Thus, once you look under the covers, it's really hard to take their #20/#19 ranking seriously.

Now Syracuse in comparison is:
Northwestern 5-1
USC (MetLife) 4-1
Stony Brook 2-3
@Minnesota 4-1
Pitt 2-3
Total Opponents Record 17-9

We are 2-3 but so close to being 3-2 or maybe even 4-1 but we just not there yet. Close but no cigar and we are what our record is as the saying goes. But when looking at the schedules, and also looking a how RU is very opportunistic on scoring with Turn Overs and short field position, we should win this if we don't turn the ball over and limit the penalties.

Given all that, I expect a hard fought and low scoring game played by both defenses. I'm also wondering if the RU team is all caught up in their new ranking and think this game might be a push over as we are the lowly Syracuse football team. The bottom feeders of the NBE and they just have to show up :)

Go 'Cuse and beat the crap out of Rutgers!! Final farewell game to end the series.

good teams can play bad schedules and still be good.

they had a lot of yards against USF and Arkansas. UConn stuffed them , uconn is good at making games entirely unwatchable in every way. Short fields limit your yards.

arkansas moved the ball on them, that gives us hope. but as bad as Ark is, their offense will have their moments. (amazing stat - they had 515 yards and only 10 pts against aTm

BC is really bad this year. Man, New England football in general is a mess right now.
Gotta think they can the Spaz after this year. Living in NE and subscribing to the Globe on a daily basis, it is truly amazing how little press BC gets. They are totally irrelevant. Even UMass gets some - may be the novelty of going D1-A this year. And that's not working out so well for UMass presently.

Their schedule may not be very impressive, but the fact is they're 5-0. Psychologically, that is significant, and the mental aspect of this can not simply be discarded. Winning builds a ton of confidence and clearly affects that crucial element of the game.

Rutger's also isn't believing that their Arkansas win in Fayetteville comes with any asterik because of their internal issues, but rather they beat a top SEC (from a talent standpoint) team on its home turf.

This is a decent Rutger's team and I'm glad they're 5-0...as we now have a great opportunity to go in there and knock them back down on their arses. That, potentially, could do wonders for our guys moving forward...

We've had our years of playing bad schedules and still being a good team. They have a good team period. It will be interesting to see, if us playing a tough schedule produces the Michigan State payoff (in basketball) down the stretch for our team. We literrally should fear no one in this conference after the OOC schedule we played. Saturday will tell us a lot.

good teams can play bad schedules and still be good.

they had a lot of yards against USF and Arkansas. UConn stuffed them , uconn is good at making games entirely unwatchable in every way. Short fields limit your yards.

arkansas moved the ball on them, that gives us hope. but as bad as Ark is, their offense will have their moments. (amazing stat - they had 515 yards and only 10 pts against aTm

Arkansas might have the worst defense in the country. USF has been bad all year. 74th, with losses to Ball St. and Temple.

And how for Rutgers it's "a lot of yards" and for Nassib it's padding his stats? Nassib passed for more yds against NW than Rutgers got in total against USF, but he sucks.

They are good but its a great opportunity for us to get a bigtime win against a team I dont necessarily think is as good as their ranking and record would indicate.

The implications of this game could be huge if we can win it. Huge for Marrone, the team's psyche, recruiting and our bowl chances. Every game is a huge game but if we could build off the Pitt game and get some momentum I think this thing could take off.

Arkansas might have the worst defense in the country. USF has been bad all year. 74th, with losses to Ball St. and Temple.

And how for Rutgers it's "a lot of yards" and for Nassib it's padding his stats? Nassib passed for more yds against NW than Rutgers got in total against USF, but he sucks.

i didn't say usf and arkansas were any good. i said rutgers has played a bad schedule. although i do expect USF to put it together against SU because they have a tendency to do that for whatever reason.

i didn't say NW padded Nassib's stats. quit making up stuff. he's good out of conference and he stinks in conference. this is no new fluke. i've said it for 2 years now. i don't have a great answer why that is but i don't think it's coincidence either.

Rutgers shouldn't assume SU's offense is as bad as it was against pitt either.

Seem's to me as Long as Rutgers is Located in the State of New Jersey it can't be NY"S Team.:bang:

Some teams are hard to figure. BC has pretty good talent, probably better than us. Spaziani is squarely on the hot seat.

I honestly believe that Rutgers is not as good as their record and SU is not as bad as theirs.

If we could ever just quit the stupid penalties and key turnovers we could be a very solid team.

Rutgers is good, great defense and good running game, but i do not believe they are top-25 good. They have not played super impressive teams besides Arkansas and they all but quit on their coach. The key to this game is Nova, if he is good we probably lose. If he is bad to average we have a shot.

This game (like many) will come down to QB play. Who is efficient and doesn't turn the ball over? Nova v. Nassib

Gotta think they can the Spaz after this year. Living in NE and subscribing to the Globe on a daily basis, it is truly amazing how little press BC gets. They are totally irrelevant. Even UMass gets some - may be the novelty of going D1-A this year. And that's not working out so well for UMass presently.
BC has never gotten much press unless they're very good. They get buried in the paper in Boston because of all the pro teams. Strange but kinda hoping they turn things around to create a little ACC Northeast buzz and perhaps renew what used to be a decent rivarly with SU.

I honestly believe that Rutgers is not as good as their record and SU is not as bad as theirs.

If we could ever just quit the stupid penalties and key turnovers we could be a very solid team.

Rutgers is good, great defense and good running game, but i do not believe they are top-25 good. They have not played super impressive teams besides Arkansas and they all but quit on their coach. The key to this game is Nova, if he is good we probably lose. If he is bad to average we have a shot.

This game (like many) will come down to QB play. Who is efficient and doesn't turn the ball over? Nova v. Nassib
nova is younger and had some decent offers i think. he's getting better. is he getting better fast enough for this weekend? i hope not. we're so used to rutgers having horrible qbs that we just expect it forever (including myself in that group)

This board is funny. We'd be INSUFFERABLE if we were 5-0 and ranked, regardless of the quality of our schedule.

Just so I can make this point now... if we believe Rutgers is a paper tiger but they beat us, will you all just shut the about Rutgers already?

We'd be 5-0 with that schedule ans they would be 2-3, maybe 3-2 with ours.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Honestly we should be 4-1 NW was a blown opportunity and if we could have figured out Moore is pretty good at getting 1 yard Minny would have been a different story.

Yeah? We'd have definitely won at USF and at Arkansas?

Like we did such a bang up job in Minnesota?
Well we dominated NW, a top 25 team...but lost, so not really sure where im going with this...

Seem's to me as Long as Rutgers is Located in the State of New Jersey it can't be NY"S Team.:bang:

This s a web based debate, common sense and solid logic are explicitly disallowed! For the record, I fully agree.

Rutgers defense and special teams will keep them in every game and a tough out. Their offense keeps them being truly a great team or really really good. They are a good team and have played pretty good. People need to watch more objectively. I could care less about Rutgers or any other big easy team but their defense and special teams could turn this game into a blow out in a hurry. That said, if we come with a solid offensive game plan, o line and nassib take their meds we can win. Turn the ball over more than once we will lose

Yeah? We'd have definitely won at USF and at Arkansas?

Like we did such a bang up job in Minnesota?

Arkansas was a disaster when they caught them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom