How good is Rutgers really? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How good is Rutgers really?

All I know is this - if Rutgers wins Saturday they're bowl eligible, and if we win Saturday we need three more to be bowl eligible.

Our season at this point isn't about how good the opponent is, it's about our magic number for bowl eligibility.

In addition, if we don't defend the screen pass it will be a long day. I think the point spread is dead nuts because I don't know who I would bet for. Strength of schedule will mean nothing come Saturday. People here said northwestern stunk when they beat us and their now 5-1 and probably should have beat PSU. Rutgers is pretty good people, take the blinders off. They are not great, sure we can beat them but will take a nw/ or USC effort to win.

Arkansas was a disaster when they caught them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

And they took advantage and won.

You can count on one hand the times we've taken advantage of things in the past 3 1/2 years.

And they took advantage and won.

You can count on one hand the times we've taken advantage of things in the past 3 1/2 years.

Arkansas just beat Auburn pretty easily. When their QB is playing that team is loaded with talent. Winning on the road against a pre season top 10-15 SEC them was a great win for the program.

Rutgers won @USF and @Ark. Fact is we'd all be dancing if SU went 1-1 in that stretch. Rutgers is a better team at this point -- that's not saying the best team always wins.

People's obsession with rutgers on this board is ridiculous. They're 5-0, we're 2-3. Whoever plays better overall will win. End of story.

Honestly there are more posts here about rutgers than they have threads on their scout board it seems.. My god.

In addition, if we don't defend the screen pass it will be a long day. I think the point spread is dead nuts because I don't know who I would bet for. Strength of schedule will mean nothing come Saturday. People here said northwestern stunk when they beat us and their now 5-1 and probably should have beat PSU. Rutgers is pretty good people, take the blinders off. They are not great, sure we can beat them but will take a nw/ or USC effort to win.

I agree 100% with this. My fear is we get the effort on defense, but the game stays close and ends up like last year's debacle. Also, I hope that from here on out we do not get the "BC Treatment" from the refs and our opponents get all the benefits of the doubt on calls, while we end up getting called for every ticky tacky foul they "see".

Arkansas was a disaster when they caught them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think Rutgers took the hardest punch that Arkansas will deliver all year and still won by double digits on the road. Arkansas circled the wagons and rallied behind the return of their QB, they came out spitting teeth, at night in front of 70,000 plus fans and lost.

That's not to suggest that Arkansas is great, but instead I'm just pointing out that we took their best shot. This was no "trap" game for them.

I think that Rutgers looks good. Regardless of who they have played they have won. This is going to be a great game. I do believe that if we can play the way we did against NW and USC we might beat them by three scores. I hope that specials dont blow this one for us.

I think that Rutgers looks good. Regardless of who they have played they have won. This is going to be a great game. I do believe that if we can play the way we did against NW and USC we might beat them by three scores. I hope that specials dont blow this one for us.
I think this will be a close game. Neither O is special. Could come down to specials (which is terribly optimistic for SU). Whoever makes plays on D will come out on top.

Arkansas might have the worst defense in the country. USF has been bad all year. 74th, with losses to Ball St. and Temple.

And how for Rutgers it's "a lot of yards" and for Nassib it's padding his stats? Nassib passed for more yds against NW than Rutgers got in total against USF, but he sucks.

Yeah and look at how many yards that vaunted RU defense gave up to Arkansas vs how many yards Arkansas put up against a less than mediocre Auburn team ... Arkansas only put up 10 points against A&M but yet they were able to move the ball very effectively and score against RU, a top tier defense? Interesting ...

Yeah? We'd have definitely won at USF and at Arkansas?

Like we did such a bang up job in Minnesota?

Why not ... the last time we traveled to Tampa we won, did we not? And Arkansas couldn't beat ULM at home .. why is it so far fetched that we wouldn't win there?

They are 5-0 and beat an SEC team. They are pretty good.
Ya the SEC is just amazing. The fact that Rutgers beat a bad SEC team means they are awesome. SU has no chance in this game.

Ya the SEC is just amazing. The fact that Rutgers beat a bad SEC team means they are awesome. SU has no chance in this game.

Well in that case SU never should have even had a chance against NW since they beat SEC foe Vandy ... :)

Rutgers defense and special teams will keep them in every game and a tough out. Their offense keeps them being truly a great team or really really good. They are a good team and have played pretty good. People need to watch more objectively. I could care less about Rutgers or any other big easy team but their defense and special teams could turn this game into a blow out in a hurry. That said, if we come with a solid offensive game plan, o line and nassib take their meds we can win. Turn the ball over more than once we will lose
Wow you must think they're really good which they aren't. The turning the ball over once statement is just ridiculous We will get crushed for sure then because they have such an explosive offense and our defense sucks.

Well in that case SU never should have even had a chance against NW since they beat SEC foe Vandy ... :)
I'm being sarcastic. Some think that beating anyone in the SEC is damn near impossible. Give them way too much credit.

I think Rutgers took the hardest punch that Arkansas will deliver all year and still won by double digits on the road. Arkansas circled the wagons and rallied behind the return of their QB, they came out spitting teeth, at night in front of 70,000 plus fans and lost.

That's not to suggest that Arkansas is great, but instead I'm just pointing out that we took their best shot. This was no "trap" game for them.

It appears Auburn took their best shot LOL ... Honestly they made Nova look like Joe Montana ... he racked up over 33% of his passing yardage in that game. If Nova doesn't throw for 5 scores they lose ... it took the perfect storm to beat a bad bad bad SEC squad ... lets not get too carried away. That same defense went on to surrender over 700 yards of offense to A&M ... that must have been their "trap" game.

I'm being sarcastic. Some think that beating anyone in the SEC is damn near impossible. Give them way too much credit.

I know ... I was dog piling :)

Wow you must think they're really good which they aren't. The turning the ball over once statement is just ridiculous We will get crushed for sure then because they have such an explosive offense and our defense sucks.

They have a decent defense but good grief we turned the ball over 5 times against them last year and we still took them to over time ... sorry but good or great they are not even close to being ... I admit their D does a decent job of forcing turnovers but they can cough up yardage to good offenses ... that will catch up to them sooner rather then later. If Cuse can manage Jamison like they managed Graham I like their chances.

I didn't say they were awesome or that SU had no chance, nice try troll harder.

ru is a good team,period. worst thing is they have confidence and are playing that way. when they tackle they first go for the strip,defense is outstanding, receivers are big,nova has gotten better and doesn't scare easily, and their st's are excellent. jamison is the real deal runner and deering dangerous return guy. to win we must get to nova, st must have a career day,and stop the run.

I didn't say they were awesome or that SU had no chance, nice try troll harder.

Actually you said they were 5-0 and beat an SEC team and were "pretty good" obviously you feel they are "pretty good" just because they beat what is probably the second worse team in the SEC ... ahead of Auburn and snacked on 4 pasties. Does this mean NW is "pretty good" too? They did after all beat an SEC team in Vandy. If RU goes out and wins the BE I'll be impressed but based on their schedule and who they have played we really can't honestly say we know what they are ... now had they beat Ryan Mallet's Arkansas team then I would absolutely be impressed ... but lets face it ... Arkansas lost to ULM at home as well ... its just not a big win. Lets see how good they are come Saturday ... I still think Cincy and the Ville are the class of the BE for better or worse.

They have a decent defense but good grief we turned the ball over 5 times against them last year and we still took them to over time ... sorry but good or great they are not even close to being ... I admit their D does a decent job of forcing turnovers but they can cough up yardage to good offenses ... that will catch up to them sooner rather then later. If Cuse can manage Jamison like they managed Graham I like their chances.
they are better than last year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom