How good is Rutgers really? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How good is Rutgers really?

The truth is we really do not know how good Rutgers is - only that they have won 5 games against a pretty weak schedule. Stats mean nothing yet so we haven't got a clue. That said, we will prepare for them as if they were really a top 20 team.

This is a VERY winnable game period. Everybody we have played thus far is about the same or better caliber as Rutgers.

I think the team is ready and hopefully we will not be out coached again this year. Win the TO battle, don't make stupid penalties and make good in-game adjustments and we will win.

Wow you must think they're really good which they aren't. The turning the ball over once statement is just ridiculous We will get crushed for sure then because they have such an explosive offense and our defense sucks.

I have watched Rutgers play 4 of their games, they are not great but they are certainly better than Syracuse. They play harder, smarter, and are more athletic. The only speculative thing in that statement is harder. They beat USF and Ark on the road, ( not great road wins but road wins regardless) we would be high fiving and on a 2 week bender if our D was playing this well. The dancing nancies here would be calling Shafer a genius and pining for a life long contract. If you read my original post, I said that we can win but we need to play well. Rutgers has a ton of athleticism at WR as well. If we play like we did versus Pitt we lose by 14. Rutgers is much better this year than we they were last year. I think you may be in for a rude awakening Saturday, if you think Syracuse can play a ho hum game and keep it close. Their defense is by far the best we have faced and their special teams raise hell. As I said, take the blinders off, I said we could win but we will need to play very well.

A lot of people here don't watch college football, I am amazed by that, again not saying we can't win but Rutgers is favored by 7.5 for a reason because on paper they are the better team, regardless of what some say here.

but lets face it ... Arkansas lost to ULM at home as well ...

Honestly, do you realize that Arkansas was up by 3 touchdowns against ULM while their All SEC QB was still in the game? When their team leader went out, they lost.

Honestly, do you realize that Arkansas was up by 3 touchdowns against ULM while their All SEC QB was still in the game? When their team leader went out, they lost.

The Arkansas team leader got caught with a chick on a bike. The QB is a nice player but Petrino made that team go and Smith is just clueless.

I have watched Rutgers play 4 of their games, they are not great but they are certainly better than Syracuse. They play harder, smarter, and are more athletic. The only speculative thing in that statement is harder. They beat USF and Ark on the road, ( not great road wins but road wins regardless) we would be high fiving and on a 2 week bender if our D was playing this well. The dancing nancies here would be calling Shafer a genius and pining for a life long contract. If you read my original post, I said that we can win but we need to play well. Rutgers has a ton of athleticism at WR as well. If we play like we did versus Pitt we lose by 14. Rutgers is much better this year than we they were last year. I think you may be in for a rude awakening Saturday, if you think Syracuse can play a ho hum game and keep it close. Their defense is by far the best we have faced and their special teams raise hell. As I said, take the blinders off, I said we could win but we will need to play very well.

A lot of people here don't watch college football, I am amazed by that, again not saying we can't win but Rutgers is favored by 7.5 for a reason because on paper they are the better team, regardless of what some say here.

The fact that Arkansas put up over 500 yards on their defense and could only muster just over 300 against Auburn tells me that their D isn't elite and the ball can be moved on them. When it comes to playing against RU we have been our own worst enemy ... and while they may be better than they were last year I feel we are too ... I have seen a bit of the RU games and they are decent but lets face it what they do well is let others make mistakes and then capitalize ... nothing wrong with it but if they face a team that is good at controlling the ball they are in for a battle. It is on the Cuse to do that this week. Against UConn Rutgers only had one sustained scoring drive of more than 45 yards ... against Tulane they had 2 ... against Howard 2 ... against USF 1 ... against Arkansas they had 5 ... Cuse has 9 between NW and USC and I think we can agree they are better opponents than anything RU has faced yes?

The point is if you look at who they have played and how they have won I think if SU avoids turnovers I like their chances ... RU needs to turn you over in close games against similar competition and those are often times where the difference is made. I'm also tired of hearing the on paper argument .. Arkansas was #8 to start the season on paper ... how did that work out for them? I think its hard to gauge RU because of who they have played ... are they the type of team that is going to just win every game by the skin of their teeth unless they play a Howard ... or is their success simply because they have yet to play a good ball club ... I think we will find out how good they are when they hit LVille and Cincy. Frankly even if SU wins it doesn't mean they are the better team but I am not going to base evaluating Rutgers or their ranking on paper because on paper their SOS is 112 ... you just don't know what they are yet.

The truth is we really do not know how good Rutgers is - only that they have won 5 games against a pretty weak schedule. Stats mean nothing yet so we haven't got a clue. That said, we will prepare for them as if they were really a top 20 team.

This is a VERY winnable game period. Everybody we have played thus far is about the same or better caliber as Rutgers.

I think the team is ready and hopefully we will not be out coached again this year. Win the TO battle, don't make stupid penalties and make good in-game adjustments and we will win.

I think RU is better than Minny .. I stand by the fact that they suck ... they are better than SB ... I would say they are comparable to NW .. except NW is a better offensive squad while Rutty wins with D ... USC is better than RU.

I didn't realize he played defense ... why are you still here ... honestly what is it with you and RUUUUU ... look at me ... look at me ... I can validate the hapless program that is RU by getting on other teams boards and picking arguments with their fan base. Are you guys that lonely ... and oh by the way Tyler Wilson played the whole game against a hapless Auburn squad (who also nearly lost to ULM at full strength if not for a snagged hail mary at halftime) and they only put up 300 yards of total offense after putting up nearly 500 against RU ... if they hadn't turned it over twice against RU the outcome of the game may have been different. Can you just please go frequent the Rutgers board, you have no business here other than to seek attention and some type of little brother validation from this fan base ... I don't bother going over there and reading RU drivel because your delusional fan base has 10 years of grandeur and all of the sudden you are USC east ... seriously get a grip.

yeah the QB stopped playing defense when he got hurt.

Ark has no coach, they have talent on offense. Auburn is trying to fire is coach and is a play away from 0-5. so its good that Ark beat them but it also took 5 TO's to do it. the same for rutgers they beat Ark ina pretty even game but also had the TO advantage. Much like the Tulane game that turned on a TO.. Kudos for creating the TO's but if every game thats the deciding factor at some point they dont happen.

I know we started rough but all I care about is winning the next game. We are 1-0 in BE play and all I care about is taking out each opponant that stands in our way fo making a run at the BE title. I could care less how Rutgers won 5 games and who they played and what the combined record of the oppnants are. I am concerned with how we prep for this game and how we can dominate them on offense and defense and eliminate the brain farts we seem to have on weekly basis. I want to leave the BE on a solid note like a majority of the years we have played in it and enter ACC with some momentum. Bring on those Harlet Knights and lets play to our potential!!!!!

I didn't realize he played defense ... why are you still here ... honestly what is it with you and RUUUUU ... look at me ... look at me ... I can validate the hapless program that is RU by getting on other teams boards and picking arguments with their fan base. Are you guys that lonely ... and oh by the way Tyler Wilson played the whole game against a hapless Auburn squad (who also nearly lost to ULM at full strength if not for a snagged hail mary at halftime) and they only put up 300 yards of total offense after putting up nearly 500 against RU ... if they hadn't turned it over twice against RU the outcome of the game may have been different. Can you just please go frequent the Rutgers board, you have no business here other than to seek attention and some type of little brother validation from this fan base ... I don't bother going over there and reading RU drivel because your delusional fan base has 10 years of grandeur and all of the sudden you are USC east ... seriously get a grip.

Some folks on this board don't cry if someone dares to challenge the group-think. I've probably been on this board longer than you. One more thing, I'm not picking arguments, I'm discussing football.

Some folks on this board don't cry if someone dares to challenge the group-think. I've probably been on this board longer than you. One more thing, I'm not picking arguments, I'm discussing football.

I don't care if you have been here since Al Gore "invented" the internet you aren't challenging me to group think yoru schtick is to come here and defend RU against those of us who think they are a paper tiger ... I mean you spent time typing a post devaluing ULM's win over Arkansas to cement your argument that your schedule isn't a joke did you not? Not sure that is much for group think ...

That would be the only reason to discuss it, correct? I am not crying one iota I have responded to your remarks with facts of my own. Again you are here on behalf of Rutgers are you not? And if you aren't then feel free not to discuss them with the board ... its that little brother look at me syndrome ... you are literally on another team's board for no other purpose then to counteract all that we say negative about a program that wants to believe its relevant but really isn't ... not sure how you can even argue that .. again I don't go to your board and argue about why I feel we don't suck ... I do that here. You aren't issuing group think you just want to be an antagonist ...

Looking just at UConn v. Rutgers what pops out at me is the fact that Rutgers forced 5 turnovers and ended up with 280 yards of total offense and 19 points. This says to me that UConn's defense is very good and Rutgers offense is a work in progress. Both teams had 17 first downs. Rutgers fumbled 3 times but only lost the ball once. If SU forced 5 turnovers and had these numbers this board would be in full meltdown mode despite the win and a 5-0 record.

Rutgers is a good football team, and it should be the favorite at home. Is Rutgers' defense better than Pitt's or USC's? I'm not so sure. Is Rutgers' offense better than NW's or USC's or Pitt's? I'm not so sure. Obviously, SU needs to play a very good game against this team to win, and SU is very capable of doing that. Hopefully the team is locked in and focused this week preparing for the game which means none of them are reading this board.

its that little brother look at me syndrome ... you are literally on another team's board for no other purpose then to counteract all that we say negative about a program that wants to believe its relevant but really isn't ... not sure how you can even argue that .. again I don't go to your board and argue about why I feel we don't suck ... I do that here. You aren't issuing group think you just want to be an antagonist ...

If I wanted to "counteract all that we say negative" about Rutgers I would probably have more than the dozen or so posts I have on this site this year. Again, I am not trying to argue, just talk football and when I see a post that asks "How good is Rutgers really", it get my attention. If the post had read "how good is Pitt, really" I would have skipped it.

If I wanted to "counteract all that we say negative" about Rutgers I would probably have more than the dozen or so posts I have on this site this year. Again, I am not trying to argue, just talk football and when I see a post that asks "How good is Rutgers really", it get my attention. If the post had read "how good is Pitt, really" I would have skipped it.
AK, you're doing the exact same thing I do when I read the RU board. You're just typing it, and I'm thinking it to myself. Regardless, there are two sides to each story, and much can be deducted from each game each team has played, whether pro- or anti-RU/SU. I think this is a marking stick for each team. Excited for Saturday

AK, you're doing the exact same thing I do when I read the RU board. You're just typing it, and I'm thinking it to myself. Regardless, there are two sides to each story, and much can be deducted from each game each team has played, whether pro- or anti-RU/SU. I think this is a marking stick for each team. Excited for Saturday

I just watched the first half of your game against Pitt (last night) and your DL looked very good. I am very anxious to see the matchup of our OL vs your DL. Flood is going to come out and try to run with Jamison and to date we have had success against every opponent but Syracuse has the best DL that we have faced yet based on what I saw last night.

I think RU is better than Minny .. I stand by the fact that they suck ... they are better than SB ... I would say they are comparable to NW .. except NW is a better offensive squad while Rutty wins with D ... USC is better than RU.

I think alot of people here discount SB because they are 1AA. They would give alot of D1 teams a game this year, including Rutgers. Would've been interesting to see their running game and rushing defense vs Rutgers defense and rushing attack.

On topic, how good is Rutgers? Suppose we'll know more on Saturday but IMHO they have a top 25 defense and are always good on special teams. Veteran players, tough players, and very adept at forcing turnovers. Last year's game gave us an idea about what they'll try and possibly accomplish vs Nassib. Hopefully the oline and RB's don't force him to try and win the game by himself.

Whichever team (if either) gets to 21 points first will win the game.

Will be interesting to see if the Big East refs will start to give us our farewell also. No reason to play favorites vs Pitt but from this week on I'm expecting all close calls to go against us.

you said it coaching and the least mistakes(penalties, t/o,ST coverage and PRESSURE ---wins this game --we need to take their confidence away --early

Out-coached...really???? I guess it was HCDM's fault that Phillip Thomas dropped a sure pick six or that Nassib threw a ridiculous INT on the goal line. Yep, had to be coaching. Gotcha.

Will be interesting to see if the Big East refs will start to give us our farewell also. No reason to play favorites vs Pitt but from this week on I'm expecting all close calls to go against us.

If you know any college fb officials or refs they are not like that. Most probably want to switch to the ACC or another conference at some-point anyways.

Why not just skip out on this board altogether? The fact that you can't understand why people question the credibility of Rutgers football blows my mind. RUTGERS SOS is 112 ... NO ONE KNOWS how good they are ... whether Tyler Wilson played defense ... 4 full quarters ... or whatever other excuses you have to justify a top 25 ranking the facts are you haven't played anyone ... back to my original point ... in some of these closes games you have had ... is it because you play to the level of competition and just naturally play close games ... or is it because Rutgers isn't as good as you want them to be ... I am willing to bet the truth is somewhere in between ... but I'm willing to bet I can identify quite a few programs who are better ...

How good? Overrated good. I hear people saying how we're going to get destroyed. I'd say that's FAR from the truth.

Out-coached...really???? I guess it was HCDM's fault that Phillip Thomas dropped a sure pick six or that Nassib threw a ridiculous INT on the goal line. Yep, had to be coaching. Gotcha.

No but did you see Marrone run out there and strip Bailey and force that fumble in OT? That is the moment we were out coached ...

Why not just skip out on this board altogether? The fact that you can't understand why people question the credibility of Rutgers football blows my mind. RUTGERS SOS is 112 ... NO ONE KNOWS how good they are ... whether Tyler Wilson played defense ... 4 full quarters ... or whatever other excuses you have to justify a top 25 ranking the facts are you haven't played anyone ... back to my original point ... in some of these closes games you have had ... is it because you play to the level of competition and just naturally play close games ... or is it because Rutgers isn't as good as you want them to be ... I am willing to bet the truth is somewhere in between ... but I'm willing to bet I can identify quite a few programs who are better ...

I pretty much do skip out on this board 51 weeks out of the year.

Listen, feel free to copy and paste any posts I have made either claiming our schedule has been great or our team has been great. I believe my first post in this thread was in response to you saying, and I paraphrase, "Arkansas lost to ULM, that's all you need to know." All I asked was whether or not you were aware that Arkansas was drilling ULM while their 1st team All SEC QB was in the game. When he got knocked out, Arkansas fell apart. You were either unaware of that fact, or you were unaware that losing your best player and QB in the middle of a game is a bad thing (that will also affect your defense).

As for playing close games...our closest game is a 9 point victory. Our average margin of victory is 15 or so. Feel free to remove Tulane and Howard and if so our average MoV against BCS competition is still 12.

Does any of this make Rutgers great? No. But I haven't seen you question Northwestern's Top 25 status. Maybe you have and I just missed it. But what have they done to deserve such a lofty ranking?

I pretty much do skip out on this board 51 weeks out of the year.

Listen, feel free to copy and paste any posts I have made either claiming our schedule has been great or our team has been great. I believe my first post in this thread was in response to you saying, and I paraphrase, "Arkansas lost to ULM, that's all you need to know." All I asked was whether or not you were aware that Arkansas was drilling ULM while their 1st team All SEC QB was in the game. When he got knocked out, Arkansas fell apart. You were either unaware of that fact, or you were unaware that losing your best player and QB in the middle of a game is a bad thing (that will also affect your defense).

As for playing close games...our closest game is a 9 point victory. Our average margin of victory is 15 or so. Feel free to remove Tulane and Howard and if so our average MoV against BCS competition is still 12.

Does any of this make Rutgers great? No. But I haven't seen you question Northwestern's Top 25 status. Maybe you have and I just missed it. But what have they done to deserve such a lofty ranking?

Where did I say that NW deserved a top 25 ranking? The other counter point is I don't see any other NW fans here trying to justify their rankings like little brothers who were picked last for kickball.

I was also well aware of the status of Tyler Wilson but again an if Arkansas had a decent SEC defense they still beat ULM ... sorry even Auburn pulled that feat off ... and Arkansas beat Auburn ... go figure. But whether or not Wilson plays Arkansas is awful and again address the fact your SOS is 112 and the worst in the BE ... and again address the fact that your vaunted defense gives up nearly 500 yards to Arkansas and they can't even push over 375 against Auburn who allowed over 400 yards to that same ULM squad and yes Tyler Wilson played in the Auburn game.

When RU beats someone worth mentioning then I'll pleasantly say ... "Hey they aren't that bad ... " beat someone other than Howard, Tulane or Kent St on a regular basis to build your 5-0 record and I'll give credit where credit is due. And if somehow SU runs the table and ends up ranked (which I realize won't happen) you won't see me on the RU board defending Cuse's ranking or arguing how our opponents have devalued losses because QBs are missing or someone blew out a knee. Sorry I have more respect for myself then to seek attention or validation from an opposing fan base on their message board.

7.26p-acc-logo.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom