How is your brand now Ishaq? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

How is your brand now Ishaq?

Here's our answer. I don't get it but it's the NCAA.

Williams did not attend classes at ND or any other institution during the spring semester, leading in part to the NCAA issue.

That’s how Williams’ situation differed from KeiVarae Russell‘s. Russell attended classes during that same period, and, after re-enrolling in school in late May, was cleared by the NCAA earlier this month to play in 2015.

The NCAA was correct in not letting him play,he basically dropped out of school. If you let him get away with it,then other schools will do it too.

So much for his brand.

I can't believe for a second that N.D. thought they would get away with this. How brain dead could they be,or is it just arrogance. Athletes need to go to classes jack asses

Brand? You alluding to his daddies "developing a brand" quote. Tell daddy he can bring his son on down to the ranch next week when we is a branding and we'll just put him in line with all the other longhorns. We can even brand daddy too...but then he has already branded himself an idiot.

The NCAA was correct in not letting him play,he basically dropped out of school. If you let him get away with it,then other schools will do it too.
I don't get how missing/skipping a semester disqualifies someone from reenrolling and playing? I know plenty of kids who failed out of school after first semester and came came back to play the next year (lacrosse).

I thought Ish's dad said this wasn't an issue and just a misunderstanding, that Ish would be back.

Always pains me to see this kid's name. If he came to Cuse, our defense would've only been that much better. Damn.

Seeing Jarron Jones in an ND uniform makes me want to puke, too.

Always pains me to see this kid's name. If he came to Cuse, our defense would've only been that much better. Damn.

Seeing Jarron Jones in an ND uniform makes me want to puke, too.
Throw in Harold Brantley too.

Would be interesting to hear from his dad now. I bet he would say they would make the same decision, though.

I wanted Ishaq as bad as anybody, but, it confuses me to see the amount of ill-will sent his way from Syracuse fans. This is a young man, who was trying to make the best decision for himself. When he came upon obstacles and made a mistake, it was lauded as a *gotcha* moment around here. Nobody should ever wish negative upon a kid who thought what he was trying to do was right.

Now, as for his father, with the way he worded things throughout the process, he's fair game. He's an adult. The kid never said ND was best for his brand, his father did.

So much for his brand.

I can't believe for a second that N.D. thought they would get away with this. How brain dead could they be,or is it just arrogance. Athletes need to go to classes jack asses

I get it -- people hate ND. But ND is one of the few institutions engaged in high level DI sports that pays any attention to academics whatsoever (and yes, that appears to include SU hoops in particular). The players are pretty consistently held to pretty rigorous academic standards -- from admissions (obviously much easier for athletes than typical students but much stricter than most of the big boys), to curriculum (all students have the same requirements re: core courses), to disciplinary actions when they falter academically or behaviorally (golson, grant, russell, williams ... a ton of guys have missed whole seasons). They also had a ton of football players traveling abroad this summer -- something I'm not aware of any university encouraging their football players to do.

Bottom line, ND takes classes pretty seriously.

I get it -- people hate ND. But ND is one of the few institutions engaged in high level DI sports that pays any attention to academics whatsoever (and yes, that appears to include SU hoops in particular). The players are pretty consistently held to pretty rigorous academic standards -- from admissions (obviously much easier for athletes than typical students but much stricter than most of the big boys), to curriculum (all students have the same requirements re: core courses), to disciplinary actions when they falter academically or behaviorally (golson, grant, russell, williams ... a ton of guys have missed whole seasons). They also had a ton of football players traveling abroad this summer -- something I'm not aware of any university encouraging their football players to do.

Things seemed to have changed under Kelley,as you really didn't here of this stuff before he got there,or the internet is finally catching up to them. Not going to class at all is not taking it seriously and then trying to appeal it...HA!!

Didn't Williams get suspended for academic irregularities in the first place? Then he ducks a whole semester and thinks he is special enough to get an exemption while a kid who might be learning disabled and misses by a tenth of a point gets suspended even though he went to class. I just can't believe some people might defend him even a little bit.

Last edited:
Things seemed to have changed under Kelley,as you really didn't here of this stuff before he got there,or the internet is finally catching up to them. Not going to class at all is not taking it seriously and then trying to appeal it...HA!!

Didn't Williams get suspended for academic irregularities in the first place? Then he ducks a whole semester and thinks he is special enough to get an exemption while a kid who might be learning disabled and misses by a tenth of a point gets suspended even though he went to class. I just can't believe some people might defend him even a little bit.

I'm not defending Williams -- though I'm not sure why people have so much vitriol for a kid who chose to go somewhere other than the cuse. that's a pretty minor offense all things considered.

I don't know how much has changed with Kelly. I know the curriculum has been in place forever and has been a significant challenge -- much bigger than admissions standards -- for a couple decades. Regardless, ND takes this stuff seriously at least relative to most universities. I really don't know how people can argue that. I mean they were at the top or in the top 5 by any measure in 2014 and have been for the past 8 years:
Here's the link

I'm not insinuating that ND doesn't have it's issues, but the idea that they aren't at least among the better schools when it comes to the academic part of being a student athlete is a pretty crazy.

Well thats reassuring...cause they don't take repeated rape issues and deaths caused by head coaches very seriously. Get a clue.

Well thats reassuring...cause they don't take repeated rape issues and deaths caused by head coaches very seriously. Get a clue.

Hate ND. It's fine. I won't even argue either of those points or even the fact that Kelly some sort of first class guy. I find him to be sort of a classic head football coach buffoon. It's fine. But academically they care and they have the results to prove it. I mean -- it's literally documented proof. So I suppose that should be the clue you're looking for.

I think the best kids should come here for football because I'm a fan. And I want the best talent. I also want the best basketball players. I think if you are the best and you don't pick us, you're a turd.

It's not hypocrisy. It's fandom.

At least you're honest.^^

All in all, a pretty weird thread.
JMHO

DoctorBombay said:
At least you're honest.^^ All in all, a pretty weird thread. JMHO

Yeah. That's pretty old. I evolved a bit on that now. I think talking with some of the parents on our board has softened my stance a little.

I don't root for kids like Ishaq and others to fail or celebrate when they do something dumb... On the field, though? That's a different story (Anthony Brown meet Shy Cullen ;)

I still don't get how people can begrudge a kid for choosing ND over a Syracuse in the first place. Especially 4-5 years ago, you have the chance to play for a bottom tier big east team in front of 30k fans or at ND who in their worst season garners sell out crowds and national audiences. The campus is also very nice and they are a true football school. Baldly he was 18. Still curious how some people would handle the attention these kids get.
Some kids leave and go elsewhere. That's life. ND's a good program, that was (at the time) top 10. So I get the allure. I think what left a sour taste for some was that his Dad (an SU grad) steered the kid away from SU because he thought the kid was too good for us.

At any rate, I agree the issue's getting pretty tired at this point.

I don't get how missing/skipping a semester disqualifies someone from reenrolling and playing? I know plenty of kids who failed out of school after first semester and came came back to play the next year (lacrosse).

Didn't Jerian Grant from ND leave a semester after being declared ineligible, then returned the next year to ND and declared eligible?

Didn't Jerian Grant from ND leave a semester after being declared ineligible, then returned the next year to ND and declared eligible?
I think Jerian stayed in school after the suspension and then played the following year. That's what Golson did and what Russell is doing this year on the FB side. FWIW, Notre Dame is honoring Ishaq's scholarship and he is in school and should still get his degree.

I think Jerian stayed in school after the suspension and then played the following year. That's what Golson did and what Russell is doing this year on the FB side. FWIW, Notre Dame is honoring Ishaq's scholarship and he is in school and should still get his degree.
He was kicked out of school right before Christmas then re-enrolled at the end of May.

Full circle back to NY. Never shoulda left!!

As a Cuse fan i would have heen fired up to get him. As a Giants fan..."eh".

As Cuse fan, I wouldve never said a bad word about him if he was Orange. As a Giants fan, he needs to produce for me to give a crap, otherwise he can get the hell on. Different ballgame.