How it ends: Going out on a whimper | Syracusefan.com

How it ends: Going out on a whimper

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
If many of you are like me as a Syracuse fan, you’ve probably thought about how JB’s career would end. I think we always imagined he’d go out with a bang. 35k+ in his final game in the Dome. A deep run in the NCAAt, possibly ending with a Final Four. Storybook ending if he could do it with his sons on the floor. Going out with a big bang as he rides off into the sunset.

But it’s becoming all too evident that he’s going out with a whimper. A very long, slow, drawn out whimper. There will be no deep NCAA tournament run. If he doesn’t announce his retirement before the end of the year, there won’t be 35k in the Dome to send him off. It’s looking like JB’s career will end on a first round game at the ACC tournament. Very anti-climactic. A bit sad. Not a Hollywood ending.

Oh, and for those that think he’ll be around next year, he won’t be. His only motivation to coach over the past four years was Buddy. With both Jimmy and Buddy moving on, he has no motivation to coach anymore. Heck, he’s barely had the motivation in the past decade.

It will all be over soon. The whimper that ends a 45 year run. The whimper that lasted 5 years too long.

I doubt it. He’s too stubborn to go out this way. What’s going to do him in will be one of his post game press conferences when he loses it and embarrasses the University.
I tend to agree it will be a snarky press conference line or an interaction with a player who gets fed up being berated by him.

I doubt it. He’s too stubborn to go out this way. What’s going to do him in will be one of his post game press conferences when he loses it and embarrasses the University.
Next year is going to be worse. Buddy and Jimmy will be gone as well. I can’t see JB staying. Maybe if that Dior/Lands plan worked out, but once that ship sailed I think it’s a foregone conclusion that JB will be done. Especially with Coach K and Roy gone

You look at the incoming class...and this can go either of 2 ways.
A) JB sez adios to his sons while thinking I can't wait to teach the 2-3 zone to these guys.
B) Wildhack "encourages" JB to retire, his sons are gone, but it's a complete waste to teach this
incoming class this zone defense which pretty much everyone has figured out.
The next 6 weeks could get ugly.

Next year is going to be worse. Buddy and Jimmy will be gone as well. I can’t see JB staying. Maybe if that Dior/Lands plan worked out, but once that ship sailed I think it’s a foregone conclusion that JB will be done. Especially with Coach K and Roy gone
It’s time. It’s obvious to everyone. It makes me sad to think of JB not coaching SU. He took the head coaching job a few months before I was born. He is the only head coach of my favorite team I’ve ever known but it’s time.

He will still get 35 k at his last game provided we all know when that it is and get the hero sendoff. The fairy tail final four end isn't happening. If it this year we will be lucky to keep the winning season streak in tack. Maybe next year if they hit it big in the portal they can be at. Least a bubble team.

No way. If that was going to get him run, he would have been gone 15 years ago. Like it or not, he is Rasputin. He’s survived two sets of sanctions, cancer, a pedo-scandal inside the program, killing a guy in an accident, alienating local and sometimes national press, being the least professional person in the world in PCs, etc. Any one of those things alone could have brought down a mere mortal Coach.

He’s going nowhere with a capital nowhere until he decides to leave.

If many of you are like me as a Syracuse fan, you’ve probably thought about how JB’s career would end. I think we always imagined he’d go out with a bang. 35k+ in his final game in the Dome. A deep run in the NCAAt, possibly ending with a Final Four. Storybook ending if he could do it with his sons on the floor. Going out with a big bang as he rides off into the sunset.

But it’s becoming all too evident that he’s going out with a whimper. A very long, slow, drawn out whimper. There will be no deep NCAA tournament run. If he doesn’t announce his retirement before the end of the year, there won’t be 35k in the Dome to send him off. It’s looking like JB’s career will end on a first round game at the ACC tournament. Very anti-climactic. A bit sad. Not a Hollywood ending.

Oh, and for those that think he’ll be around next year, he won’t be. His only motivation to coach over the past four years was Buddy. With both Jimmy and Buddy moving on, he has no motivation to coach anymore. Heck, he’s barely had the motivation in the past decade.

It will all be over soon. The whimper that ends a 45 year run. The whimper that lasted 5 years too long.

He’s honestly treated the program like he’s been done for the past 5 years. I’ve lost respect for him.

I have to wonder if there is an element of fear in letting go. I know he golfs and has joked about the things he can enjoy after retiring but you look at guys like Big John and others who retire and there isn't much left for them. JB a TV personality? Not sure I see it. When you are still working you are still living and keeping yourself sharp. Step away and then what? I can't see him walking away without staying attached in some manner to the program which in itself is tricky.

I have to wonder if there is an element of fear in letting go. I know he golfs and has joked about the things he can enjoy after retiring but you look at guys like Big John and others who retire and there isn't much left for them. JB a TV personality? Not sure I see it. When you are still working you are still living and keeping yourself sharp. Step away and then what? I can't see him walking away without staying attached in some manner to the program which in itself is tricky.

He has his charity work.

You look at the incoming class...and this can go either of 2 ways.
A) JB sez adios to his sons while thinking I can't wait to teach the 2-3 zone to these guys.
B) Wildhack "encourages" JB to retire, his sons are gone, but it's a complete waste to teach this
incoming class this zone defense which pretty much everyone has figured out.
The next 6 weeks could get ugly.

Yikes. Seeing those words—it’s just so absurd.

If the next coach is also a zone devotee, I can honestly predict my interest in SU hoops will go from ‘all in’ to ‘occasional and sporadic’ like it is with the football team.

Christ...then coach somewhere else that doesn't require the kind of effort that you're not willing to put in here any more. This isn't JBU, it's SU.

This is why Calhoun is far and away the best coach of his generation. I know, blasphemy but it's true. He made a turd of a program into a national one and was smart/humble enough to step away when he knew he couldn't hack it at that level any more.

Christ...then coach somewhere else that doesn't require the kind of effort that you're not willing to put in here any more. This isn't JBU, it's SU.

This is why Calhoun is far and away the best coach of his generation. I know, blasphemy but it's true. He made a turd of a program into a national one and was smart/humble enough to step away when he knew he couldn't hack it at that level any more.
Then coached at another level because of his love for the game. Say what you will about the guy, but he was a heck of a coach.

I think we'll win another 8-9 ACC games. We have the shooting to do it.

There are going to be a couple sure fire wins we somehow lose and everyone wants to put their head through a wall but we should enter the ACCT at least close to the bubble.

I have wondered about that for years (the fear possibility). Not unheard of. At the very least, it can objectively be stated that he's unusual, statistically-speaking, for not planning a life after a primary career if the funds are there; especially by one's late seventies.

Health problems and he clearly wanted back in a couple years later when he started to feel better but his replacement won a title. Was too old to be considered once they had turned on Ollie.

I think he could have been like Tarkanian and found a D1 job at the end if he was willing to live outside the northeast.

Calhoun also benefited from the NHL team he shared a building with relocating right as the program started rolling.

JB is going to have a good 5 year run as an announcer. I don't think the end will be that bad we made the Sweet 16 last year. You just have to worry about hiring the new guy. WHat happens if we have a deal with Oats and handshake agreement and then Bama goes to the Final FOur?

I think we'll win another 8-9 ACC games. We have the shooting to do it.

There are going to be a couple sure fire wins we somehow lose and everyone wants to put their head through a wall but we should enter the ACCT at least close to the bubble.
Not sure I see that many, no doubt we can shoot but our flaws are beyond obvious and we’re now not going to be able to surprise any coaches in the ACC. We’re not only one dimensional on defense but offense as well.

If he didn’t get canned after his *second* major probation, then he’s not going out this way.
No, but the University put a retirement plan in place that Hopkins messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom