How it ends: Going out on a whimper | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

How it ends: Going out on a whimper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've basically checked out on being a 24/7 Syracuse Basketball fan this year. It's never happened to me before. Don't think I've bothered posting on the board in a few weeks. Not sure if it's Covid-related or what but think my fandom has been beaten down over the slogs of the past few regular seasons and it's sapped away what used to be excitement over every game on the schedule.

Cuse Bball was the only sporting entity left that I cared enough about to have it effect my mood and that went away a few years ago. Now it's slid to the point where I haven't even been checking the schedule and that's never happened since I was a kid. I've been fairly straight forward in being ready for JB to go for a few years now and it seems the majority of folks here have reached that point. It just blows that it's still up in the air as to when it happens as we continue to have the oldest coach in major bball history and the trajectory arrow points lower and lower.
The JB is bigger than the program and anyone who is frustrated is a disloyal jerk has broken me as well.

The program has been a middle of fbe road program. We have the Final Four is legit but you can’t even say legitimate opinions about the state of the program without being labeled a hater.

I want the program to be relevant. Post season matters but if we want to win it all we have to be better.
2014 crashed out in the second round.
If they had lost in the sweet 16 that is the type of team we want.
Good. Relative and win a couple of games in March and be good enough to win it all after winning a few games.

Not be a plucky underdog.
I like Jim Boeheim and appreciate what he has done but the roster management ineptness is on him.

If you want to play superstars superstar minutes go ahead but not decent players superstar minutes.

Stop it. I never said anyone should have the same opinion as me. My observation was people are lying to themselves on tournament vs regular season history based on past history on this board. I've been here a decade. I know what's been posted and how people react. It's seemed to trigger a few of you. I already stated my expectations for the program and we aren't meeting them.

Some complain about the posters protect JB at all costs. There's others who exaggerate us being a doormat for 8 years. Both sides look stupid and it becomes a circle jerk.

My opinion is right down the middle. We haven't been near Syracuse Standards since 2014, but there's other posts calling us chicken littles. And I said I expect at least a 5 seed, with a sweet 16 team 5 or 6 times a decade with 2-3 potential title contenders. We obviously aren't doing that now.

Most of us want JB to retire including myself. We are waiting it out. There's no sense me getting this frustrated because there was always a potential of this scenario this year with his kids.
Dude. This is ridiculous. You really can't see past the end of your own upturned nose.

You didn't "say" anyone should have the same opinion. But, you basically campaign against anyone who doesn't. Seriously, let me ask you: are you "miserable" because you experience "negativity" here? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you're going to say 'No,' you're just "making observations." Well, it's the same thing for those you label as negative. We're just making observations. Try thinking about it that way. Try imagining that we all have the same mental horsepower as you, and are able to compartmentalize SU Basketball-related disappointment the way you deal with your disappointment with the attitudes of people on the forum.

Bottom line, you've been here "a decade" (whoop-di-damn-doo, that's not really long, but cute of you to use that word)—you know how it is. Stop trying to change it. You're basically operating on the same kind of wavelength as thinking there should be one political party. If only everyone would just 'wake up and act right and see it with my eyes!'

"Trigger?"
Again—the triggeree is you. Not sure how you don't see that.

All you have to do is look at the top line of your post here: "people are lying to themselves..."

That's you in a nutshell. Your truth is the truth. I expect you're going to be miserable and triggered for the rest of your days if that's your reality. I'm going to suggest two things:

1) That you try to expand your thinking to incorporate the understanding that other people have valid perspectives, their experiences, and standards are different from yours, and that's all valid, whether you like or understand them or not.

2) A very simple old adage: "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Instead of discussing ideas and concepts, you've dragged us all down into bitching about people and how they don't fall in line with how you think they should operate.

What comes next is you denying you're doing that, and playing the transference game. Enjoy your misery.

The JB is bigger than the program and anyone who is frustrated is a disloyal jerk has broken me as well.

The program has been a middle of fbe road program. We have the Final Four is legit but you can’t even say legitimate opinions about the state of the program without being labeled a hater.

I want the program to be relevant. Post season matters but if we want to win it all we have to be better.
2014 crashed out in the second round.
If they had lost in the sweet 16 that is the type of team we want.
Good. Relative and win a couple of games in March and be good enough to win it all after winning a few games.

Not be a plucky underdog.
I like Jim Boeheim and appreciate what he has done but the roster management ineptness is on him.

If you want to play superstars superstar minutes go ahead but not decent players superstar minutes.
True. But that's the thing—who, outside of already-converted Syracuse fans, knows about that Final Four or cares? That Final Four is not building this program. Regular season relevance is what gets better recruits, which leads to more season success, which leads to greater probability of post-season success.

I’m gonna trust my intel over your guess. The new head coach isn’t going to be JBs call. He tried that with Gmac and didn’t happen.

Agree 100%.

Holy sht I still remember being excited for like a week leading up to that Uconn game in the Dome back in 2000.

Fast forward to 2022 and I forgot that we played UVa until an hour after the game was done and the biggest source of excitement is trying to work in a joke about Buddy the Boyz going to Byrne Dairy to buy some flying saucers.

I imagine getting older I would have likely not moved my schedule around SU basketball forever, but I guarantee I wouldn't have booked a 7:30 Orange Theory class tonight 8 years ago.

Dude. This is ridiculous. You really can't see past the end of your own upturned nose.

You didn't "say" anyone should have the same opinion. But, you basically campaign against anyone who doesn't. Seriously, let me ask you: are you "miserable" because you experience "negativity" here? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you're going to say 'No,' you're just "making observations." Well, it's the same thing for those you label as negative. We're just making observations. Try thinking about it that way. Try imagining that we all have the same mental horsepower as you, and are able to compartmentalize SU Basketball-related disappointment the way you deal with your disappointment with the attitudes of people on the forum.

Bottom line, you've been here "a decade" (whoop-di-damn-doo, that's not really long, but cute of you to use that word)—you know how it is. Stop trying to change it. You're basically operating on the same kind of wavelength as thinking there should be one political party. If only everyone would just 'wake up and act right and see it with my eyes!'

"Trigger?"
Again—the triggeree is you. Not sure how you don't see that.

All you have to do is look at the top line of your post here: "people are lying to themselves..."

That's you in a nutshell. Your truth is the truth. I expect you're going to be miserable and triggered for the rest of your days if that's your reality. I'm going to suggest two things:

1) That you try to expand your thinking to incorporate the understanding that other people have valid perspectives, their experiences, and standards are different from yours, and that's all valid, whether you like or understand them or not.

2) A very simple old adage: "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Instead of discussing ideas and concepts, you've dragged us all down into bitching about people and how they don't fall in line with how you think they should operate.

What comes next is you denying you're doing that, and playing the transference game. Enjoy your misery.
Thanks. I stand by it. And I’m perfectly fine with my life without you telling me what I should do. You’re arguing with something you want to see. Not what I actually posted. And 50% of this board is mocking other people or their opinions. Weird that my post of all posts is the one you call out.

Last edited:
Seems more like an air hockey guy until Juli gets him in the knuckle
Air hockey can be dangerous. I made a save once with the stopper and the puck ricocheted, hit the back railing and flew up and hit me in the cheek near my eye.

Air hockey can be dangerous. I made a save once with the stopper and the puck ricocheted, hit the back railing and flew up and hit me in the cheek near my eye.
My brothers and I used to hunt each other's fingers. And that flying puck struggle is real.

My brothers and I used to hunt each other's fingers. And that flying puck struggle is real.
Season 1 Showtime GIF by Dexter

Thanks. I stand by it. And I’m perfectly fine with my life without you telling me what I should do. You’re arguing with something you want to see. Not what I actually posted. And 50% of this board is mocking other people or their opinions. Weird that my post of all posts is the one you call out.
Do you think, maybe, that all the people You are calling out as being "miserable..." are actually just as "perfectly fine" with their lives?

No, i don't think you can see that.

50%? That's interesting. Maybe you think that's an accurate percentage because you're involved with so much of the "mocking?" Honestly, man, look at your ID. Was it also you who had the one about just being an instigator or somesuch? Ask yourself what you're actually contributing. You embrace this role of 'hall monitor of attitudes.'

Even if 50% of the posts mock other posts—is that who you think we should be? For someone seemingly so interested in correcting everyone's attitudes (and i think you actually characterized it as such), maybe you could decide to elevate the conversation. Which is what i'm going to try to do by abdicating from this particular one...

I really hope this argument about arguments about complaining about complaining continues. Such great content.

Man, we are all getting a bit stressed around here. We all need a win tonight in the worst way.

If not for the sake of the kids who put in so much time I would say that the tailspin we have all been waiting for to officially force the hand to hit the reset button would be the better outcome.

Winning tonight would feel more like kicking the can down the road. For the moment at least.

Do you think, maybe, that all the people You are calling out as being "miserable..." are actually just as "perfectly fine" with their lives?

No, i don't think you can see that.

50%? That's interesting. Maybe you think that's an accurate percentage because you're involved with so much of the "mocking?" Honestly, man, look at your ID. Was it also you who had the one about just being an instigator or somesuch? Ask yourself what you're actually contributing. You embrace this role of 'hall monitor of attitudes.'

Even if 50% of the posts mock other posts—is that who you think we should be? For someone seemingly so interested in correcting everyone's attitudes (and i think you actually characterized it as such), maybe you could decide to elevate the conversation. Which is what i'm going to try to do by abdicating from this particular one...

If I said Jim Boeheim was miserable nobody would care.

If I said the fans were miserable about this season nobody would care.

But! Because I said the fans would be miserable if we lost in in the tournament when we had regular season success I suddenly have angered people all because I have seen it in the past.

And tbh I have no idea what message board rules should be. That's up to the mods. There's been some good content here over the years in the mocking department. Some of us come here to me more immature than others. I think we can all agree with that.

And isn't correcting my attitude what you are trying to do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom