How long have you been on board? | Syracusefan.com

How long have you been on board?

SWC75

Bored Historian
We may have done this before: I don't know. It's probably been a while and I'm sure we have some new posters since then.

I was on a thread where I and some other posters were trying to cheer up Mantonio by citing how long we'd been SU fans and all the ups and downs we'd experienced since then and affirming that we'd remain SU fans through any future ups and downs because we survived the past ones. I thought it might be if everyone stated how long they've been an SU fan, with some information of how you became and SU fan and maybe citing some of the best and worst moments.

I was about to turn 8 years old in 1961 when my Dad came home from a bank where they where giving out booklets previewing the 1961 NFL season as a promotion. Dad wanted something we could do together so we spent Sunday afternoons watching the NFL games while he had me read about each team. He told em that the best player in the league was a guy who went to Syracuse, Jimmy brown and that he played for the Cleveland Browns, (which I assumed they'd named after him), so they became my favorite team.

Then Dad told me that the we had another guy like Jimmy Brown on that year's Syracuse team. They were going to play Miami in the Liberty Bowl and it was going to be on TV, (a rare thing for SU in those days)> We watched the game and Ernie led us on a second half comeback to win the game:

I have no memory of the 1962 SU season, (we went 5-5 and probably were never on TV), but do remember the Brown's games from that year. My chief memory of 1963 is watching grainy films of the previous Saturday's games, (to the tune of The Saltine Warrior and with the great Bill O'Donnell narrating) , on the local Tuesday evening news in Syracuse. That's how long it took to process game films in those days.
The Saltine Warrior begins at 1:26 of this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvwbYkvnE5k
Then game films looked and sounded like this but with O'Donnell providing a narration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExxbEw4yigU
I still prefer my highloights with school songs and marches rather than rock or wrap.
The voice of Bill O'Donnell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uqdwPLIpsA
(He went on to join Chuck Thompson in doing the Orio9les games in 1966 and handed the "Voice of the orange" job to Joel Mareiness. Bill died of cancer in 1982 at the age of 56.)

Then in 1964, we got another #44, Floyd Little. Dad agreed to take me to one of the games. Floyd broke the game open against undefeated UCLA with a 91 yard punt return just before the half and we won 39-0. That really hooked me and I've been "on board ever since.

The competitive low point was the oping game of Ben Schwartzwalder's last season. We'd scheduled Bowling Green as an easy early game. I admit I left this one early because I couldn't watch any more. Somebody stopped me and asked me what the score was. I told him " 47-6". The guy was impressed until I told him Blowing Green was leading. They'd had a long interception return for a score. i didn't realize it had been called back. We got one more score to make it a 14-41 final. That's when I and a lot of other SU fans were confronted with the reality that the glory days were long gone and there appeared little likelihood they'd ever come back.

For years the emotional low point was the two games we fumbled away to Penn State: 14-15 in 1969 when they had the nation's longest winning streak and 1985 when they'd beaten us 14 times in a row. But that was topped in 1998, Donovan McNabb's last season, when we lost by a point to Tennessee's eventual national champions on a controversial call in the opener, then blew defending national champion Michigan out fo their own place and followed that up by scoring 70 points on Rutgers. I really, really felt like this team was going to run the table and play for the national title while McNabb was going to win the Heisman Donnie McPherson got gypped out of a decade before. Then we went to Raleigh and laid a dinosaur egg. I'd allowed my ambitions for the team to fly to high and I crashed very badly, wondering if it was really worth it to be an SU fan. But I decided to stick it out.

The competitive and emotional high was the greatest day of my sporting life, (until 4/7/03, anyway), the cathartic annihilation of hated Penn State after those 16 losses in a row.
11717772-standard.jpg

So...when and how did you get "on board" and what have been the low and high points since then?

~15 years on the syracusefan board. 50 yr fan of the Cuse, dating back to going to Archibald with my Dad.

High - BB NC
Low - FB program under GR

Last edited:
I'm 32.

The moment I became emotionally invested in SU hoops: 1990 after Thompson got ejected. I watched that game on VHS literally dozens of times.
The moment I became emotionally invested in SU football: 1992 "Gedney at the 3" vs. Miami.

High point hoops: obvious
Low point hoops: 1995 Arkansas, 2005 Vermont, 2010 Butler,

High point football: I'll say McNabb to Brominski
Low point football: 2005-2008

I was a freshman at SU in 1974 and have been a fan ever since, though I had only sporadic visits to the dome from 1988 till 2008. Basketball had an immediate impact on me with the wins over Kansas State & North Carolina to get to the 1975 final four but I've always been a football fan first. I was most invested in football in the 1980s and attended the victory over #1 Nebraska, a tie with the Sugar Bowl for my SU football high point. Major bowls meant something then and we were close to winning the NC. I was in Virginia for a long time and was mostly a remote fan until finding this board in its most previous manifestation. I've come to love SU basketball with a great appreciation for JB and the great run it's been with him. I honor his career and want the same consistent success for football as he's brought in basketball. The loss in the 1987 bball NC was my low point and I had to become less compulsive or perish. I'm still stunned we lost that game. Damn free throws...

My father took me to Archibold in 1956 for two games -- a close win against Army (saved by a Jim Brown tackle), and an easy win against Colgate. Beating Texas in 1959. Another big highlight was the 1987 West Virginia game in the Dome, with McPherson running an option to Michael Owens for a comeback win to save the unbeaten season, followed by the famous Sugar Bowl tie.
Another, the dramatic near-win against an unbeaten #1 Miami team in November 1992, ending with a Marvin Graves completion to Chris Gedney, tackled 3 yards short of what might have been.
For lows, I think of injuries to Ted Gregory and Dan Conley, among others.
For drama, the national title loss in New Orleans (Smart), and then the win in New Orleans with Carmelo. I was fortunate to be at both..
We suffer through the lows to appreciate the highs.

1966 Stationed at Syracuse in the Air Force. Returned in 70 to get my degree via GI Bill.
Season tickets till 2003 when we had to move. Retired in 2010 to Fla. Been to every Bowl game since the Cherry except for the Fiesta.

My dad grew up loving SU sports (Yankees and Giants, too). He raised my siblings and me to follow the same teams. My first vivid memories are the Louie Bouie show in hoops and listening to the radio as Syracuse beat #1 Nebraska. I know we watched and listened to other games before these, but these are the earliest distinct memories.

I grew up in B'ville, a blue collar kid without resources for Syracuse U., though I wanted to attend, I simply could not afford it. To this day, I enjoy SU sports and cheer them on above all others, even 1,700 miles away. While I served in the Air Force, it was always a piece of home to argue sports with the locals and with fellow airmen. I recall a captain who was a VATech grad, for many years the loser would call the winner of the SU-VATech game and wish them congratulations.

My girls all cheer for Syracuse. And when the grand kids start coming along, they will certainly receive Syracuse apparel. My youngest is contemplating SUNY ESF.

For hoops, when Lawrence Moten went crazy against Tennessee. For football, the Kevin Mason year was the first season I really got in to things.

My first live game was in 1966 about 10 days before I entered the US Army. Went to Archbold with a couple of buddies to watch SU play Navy. Remember a huge man in the backfield that fell forward for 5 yards every time he got the ball. Between Csonka and Little we dismantled them by a couple of touchdowns. I had become an SU fan watching them on TV with my Dad and years later in 1987 I got season tickets because of the experience in '66.

My all time high was the West Virginia game in 1987. The end of game 2 point conversion happened right in front of us.
That was the 1st game I took my 12 y/o son to and it got him hooked. He still talks about it being the best game he ever saw. Brought my seven y/o grandson yesterday but he is still a little too young to get into it.

The low point was the four years that Robinson was here. After the first two or three games he coached it was obvious that he wasn't our guy. Agonize that he was here so long.

Nebraska game was my first time in dome and at game. Had family member on team.

Made decision to attend SU in 1987 and the rest is history.

I've been invested in both SU football and basketball since at least the late 80s when I was a pre-teen living in Vestal, NY. Remember watching Don McPherson play QB but I don't really remember the season they had. High point in football for me was the season of the Miami game and when we beat Colorado in one of the most amazing Fiesta Bowls I've ever seen. I'll never forget Lawrence Moten going crazy on the sidelines while being interviewed when his roomie McNabb made some amazing play on during the interview.

Since the day I was conceived in the year 1620

Well I'm not quite as ancient as you but with a name like CuseLegacy..being the fourth generation to graduate from Syracuse.. I would also say conception. Although my first memories were of sitting in a sunny Archbold with my father, going over one of those glossy progams, hearing hm sing the alma mater, swearing :eek: and watching Little and Csonka play...I was very, very young. ;)

45 yrs old. 41 years since my first game at Archbold.

Highs...
Last game at Archbold vs Navy

Opening game at Dome vs Miami of Ohio

My only two away games- 1. vs Army. Even though we lost, West Point was just an amazing experience. 2. Kickoff Classic vs Wisconsin at the Meadowlands.

BBall NC

Gerrys senior night

87 vs WV and the two point conversion.

God I could do this all day. Too many to list

Lows...
Gedney short vs Miami

87 championship game

96 championship game

Tennessee game. Though still the greatest game ever.

You know, as a fan, even the lows are good sometimes. I love being a fan of Syracuse so much, that the bads are part of the good. Does that make sense?

I'm one of the youngins on here (26). I'm also a football first Cuse fan. I love bball and mens lax as well, but football is the focal point of my fandom. I've been closely following the team since McNabb. I was born into the fandom coming from a Cuse family. Multiple generations of my family bleed Orange.

I've been invested in both SU football and basketball since at least the late 80s when I was a pre-teen living in Vestal, NY. Remember watching Don McPherson play QB but I don't really remember the season they had. High point in football for me was the season of the Miami game and when we beat Colorado in one of the most amazing Fiesta Bowls I've ever seen. I'll never forget Lawrence Moten going crazy on the sidelines while being interviewed when his roomie McNabb made some amazing play on during the interview.

Not McNabb. Graves. Everybody forgets Marvin.

Not McNabb. Graves. Everybody forgets Marvin.

You have to admit, his senior year was a huge let down. They all rested on their laurels when it came to off-season preparation coming into Graves' senior year. What did they finish, 6-4-1?

I've been watching SU football since 1964 (well, probably earlier, but the first games I went to in person were that year). I saw Floyd Little at Archbold versus Kansas and vs. UCLA that season with my dad. Saw a game or two every year in the late 60s until my folks divorced. Started following SU hoops the year after Bill Smith left - the original Roy's Runts. I think that was 1971-72, when they made the N.I.T. and Kid Kohls was the star. Denny Duval joined him the next year, and within just a few years we made our first Final Four.

So many highs and lows since then. The whole 1987 year was magical - the hoops team making the championship game against Indiana and finally becoming a true national power; and of course the football team going undefeated and playing in the Sugar Bowl against Auburn. I also got married that year. Heck of a year.

I have been a hoops fan since the '88-'89 NCAA tourney run. It was not a particularly glorious run or anything, but my older brother was a frosh at Bucknell. The two of us had the prototypical sibling rivalry and all I heard about was that his school was in the NCAA tournament. Since he was one of the oldest guys on the block, he was the first we kids knew who had a true rooting interest in the brackets that year. I was sick with it. When they face SU in the first round, Coleman sat and SU still took them down pretty easily. I had a team for life. As for FB. I am a huge fan, but started at a knowledge deficit in my frosh year of '92-'93. Saw some great stuff in my 5 years on the hill, and came back the year after graduating to catch the dumb Tennessee game. Highs and lows are actually very tough as personal connections are stronger than some obvious ones. Hoops is probably the '96 Tourney run, but a win at home over Arizona and one over Kentucky where we took the floor are good ones. There were some great UConn wins in the days of Donyell Marshal, Ray Allen, Kevin Ollie, Donny Marshal, Doron Sheffer, Jake Voskal, etc. In fact one high was beating Providence in Providence '94-'95. It was a Saturday game and we were at UConn on Big Monday I think. We had Mike Lloyd at PG and he hit a 3 as time ran out to win. My roommate and I were particularly vocal at the game and the entire Civic Center seemed to focus its ire at us (Bobby Lazer's mom wanted to get us security to get us out). It was a blast. Met Bill Raftery that night too. Low might be losing the NCAA final to UK in '96.

Football - Hard to call the Miami game the high or the low.It was a great game. Texas in the Dome that year and The Fiesta Bowl was great that same year, and the Gator Bowl may beat it out in my mind because we were so written off, and then so dominant. My roommate played in that game, so that boosts it. Can't forget the Oklahoma game with Bryce "the play" Bevill. Kills me that he is with Edsall at UMD. Getting pounded in back to back games at Miami then home against WVU in 1993 stunk a lot. Really put my head down for the GRob years.

We may have done this before: I don't know. It's probably been a while and I'm sure we have some new posters since then.

I was on a thread where I and some other posters were trying to cheer up Mantonio by citing how long we'd been SU fans and all the ups and downs we'd experienced since then and affirming that we'd remain SU fans through any future ups and downs because we survived the past ones. I thought it might be if everyone stated how long they've been an SU fan, with some information of how you became and SU fan and maybe citing some of the best and worst moments.

I was about to turn 8 years old in 1961 when my Dad came home from a bank where they where giving out booklets previewing the 1961 NFL season as a promotion. Dad wanted something we could do together so we spent Sunday afternoons watching the NFL games while he had me read about each team. He told em that the best player in the league was a guy who went to Syracuse, Jimmy brown and that he played for the Cleveland Browns, (which I assumed they'd named after him), so they became my favorite team.

Then Dad told me that the we had another guy like Jimmy Brown on that year's Syracuse team. They were going to play Miami in the Liberty Bowl and it was going to be on TV, (a rare thing for SU in those days)> We watched the game and Ernie led us on a second half comeback to win the game:

I have no memory of the 1962 SU season, (we went 5-5 and probably were never on TV), but do remember the Brown's games from that year. My chief memory of 1963 is watching grainy films of the previous Saturday's games, (to the tune of The Saltine Warrior and with the great Bill O'Donnell narrating) , on the local Tuesday evening news in Syracuse. That's how long it took to process game films in those days.
The Saltine Warrior begins at 1:26 of this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvwbYkvnE5k
Then game films looked and sounded like this but with O'Donnell providing a narration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExxbEw4yigU
I still prefer my highloights with school songs and marches rather than rock or wrap.
The voice of Bill O'Donnell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uqdwPLIpsA
(He went on to join Chuck Thompson in doing the Orio9les games in 1966 and handed the "Voice of the orange" job to Joel Mareiness. Bill died of cancer in 1982 at the age of 56.)

Then in 1964, we got another #44, Floyd Little. Dad agreed to take me to one of the games. Floyd broke the game open against undefeated UCLA with a 91 yard punt return just before the half and we won 39-0. That really hooked me and I've been "on board ever since.

The competitive low point was the oping game of Ben Schwartzwalder's last season. We'd scheduled Bowling Green as an easy early game. I admit I left this one early because I couldn't watch any more. Somebody stopped me and asked me what the score was. I told him " 47-6". The guy was impressed until I told him Blowing Green was leading. They'd had a long interception return for a score. i didn't realize it had been called back. We got one more score to make it a 14-41 final. That's when I and a lot of other SU fans were confronted with the reality that the glory days were long gone and there appeared little likelihood they'd ever come back.

For years the emotional low point was the two games we fumbled away to Penn State: 14-15 in 1969 when they had the nation's longest winning streak and 1985 when they'd beaten us 14 times in a row. But that was topped in 1998, Donovan McNabb's last season, when we lost by a point to Tennessee's eventual national champions on a controversial call in the opener, then blew defending national champion Michigan out fo their own place and followed that up by scoring 70 points on Rutgers. I really, really felt like this team was going to run the table and play for the national title while McNabb was going to win the Heisman Donnie McPherson got gypped out of a decade before. Then we went to Raleigh and laid a dinosaur egg. I'd allowed my ambitions for the team to fly to high and I crashed very badly, wondering if it was really worth it to be an SU fan. But I decided to stick it out.

The competitive and emotional high was the greatest day of my sporting life, (until 4/7/03, anyway), the cathartic annihilation of hated Penn State after those 16 losses in a row.
11717772-standard.jpg

So...when and how did you get "on board" and what have been the low and high points since then?

Amazing post as always. I used to shag balls for Ben and the guys. Went to my first game in 63

You have to admit, his senior year was a huge let down. They all rested on their laurels when it came to off-season preparation coming into Graves' senior year. What did they finish, 6-4-1?

Was Will Hicks employed by SU back then?

I grew up in the 315 and was going to games before I knew what was going on.

Lowlights include being there when JTII closed Manley and being in NO for Keith Smart's shot.

Way too many great moments to share in a single post.

Around 86 as a start, just in time for the 87 title game heartbreak.

My dad is from Marcellus, and the vast majority of my family still lives in the Syracuse area. My uncle used to write for the PS and is an SU alum, and I have other members of my family who have worked at SU and been season ticket holders. I grew up in Vermont, but was raised 100% orange. I'm not even kidding when I say that when I was about 5 or 6 years old, I heard the name "Washington" and while my classmates thought "George" I thought "Pearl." I only applied to two schools out of HS, and only considered one - Syracuse. Class of '03. I was a senior for the Carmelo year, and it was great that my brother was at SU law at the same time so we both got to be there for the only hoops championship (so far), especially since, while we both love football, we're from a basketball family (dad was a coach).

I've been reading various iterations of the board since the Winfred Walton recruitment for basketball, back in the AOL days, and I was a young high school kid in Vermont. I started posting during my freshman year at SU, though, and first really became involved during the Julius Hodge basketball recruitment saga. You unfortunate people have been stuck with me since.

EDIT: This just made me realize I've been reading what you people have been writing for nearly 20 years. Good lord. Considering I'm only 34, that seems particularly ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom