How long until Colorado implodes? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How long until Colorado implodes?

I know a former CU professor that, in part, left the school because of how frustrated they were with the school administration in letting the Sanders family have free reign to do whatever they want and get away with it. I’m told they weren’t the only faculty members that aren’t happy with Deion and his sons.

I have enough experience with professors who absolutely hate athletics to take “a professor left because he didn’t like the new coach” stories with a grain of salt. I was in grad school at UAlbany when Scott Marr took over the lacrosse program - several of my professors HATED him with a blinding passion and would have done anything to help get him fired. Will Brown was about the only guy less popular with staff. It wouldn’t shock me if some professors left around 2007-2010 that would have said overemphasis on athletics contributed.

Lots get behind athletics…but a lot don’t - so your anecdote would need a lot more context for me to give it much weight.

This type of stuff has happened for years.

There is no evidence that shows that he’s a terrible coach. Some people just have a hard on for coach prime.
I think exactly the opposite, some fanboys have a hard on for him. Especially in the media where content about Deion these days on a daily basis is about as reliable as the sun rising.

Yeah that's really the reason I started this thread, this whole discussion of whether or not Deion is a "good" coach is irrelevant to me. I don't see a team with that type of locker room culture doing well, no matter the talent or coaching staff.
When your head coach is a person who has always been it's about him and not the team, what do you expect?
He has never been a team player his entire life, so how can he possibly be expected to change and teach others?

Only been 1 season. Had 3 more wins than the previous year. Lost 6 one possession games ( 3 by 3 points or less). In 2022 they lost 8 games by 30 or more points.

If this wasn’t Deion you wouldn’t even be talking about this program.
Does losing 6 one possession games mean he is a good coach or a bad coach?

Curious to hear what your definition of a coach is.
My comment was based on what he’s done so far. Colorado was the worse team. They are in better shape now that he’s there. So how is he a terrible coach? Is it because he does it in an unorthodox way? The guy has succeeded at everything he’s done because of his cockiness. Why would we expect him to do anything different?

Does losing 6 one possession games mean he is a good coach or a bad coach?
Are you basing that off what the previous staff did? Losing by 30 each game. Because that’s a big jump. He might find ways to win those type of games this year.

I think exactly the opposite, some fanboys have a hard on for him. Especially in the media where content about Deion these days on a daily basis is about as reliable as the sun rising.
These are probably interviews from disgruntled players that he pushed out the program. Some people want him to fail so much that they will believe every report.

We took a coach from his staff that came from this same culture. Is it more acceptable here because it’s making SU better?

I didn’t like him as a player. He was way too attention-seeking for my tastes. I know - old man viewpoint. I don’t care. I like humility in athletic competition. There is no humility in Coach “Prime.” I’ve paid very little attention to him as a coach other than what I’ve read on this board/ I’m glad he’s not SU’s coach.

Does that mean he “lives rent free in my head?” I don’t think so.

Tim Green wrote in “Dark Side of the Game” that Sanders was a great teammate and one of the most business savvy guys he’s ever known. I don’t entirely get that; I played with a star player who acted a lot like Deion - nobody could stand him and he had a huge impact on creating terrible team chemistry. I don’t know how you can be as self-promoting as Sanders is, and still be a positive impact on team chemistry - but that’s what Green said.

I don’t know that approach can work as a coach though. One of the things that drove me insane about Coach P was after losses when he would talk about “execution needs to be better”. It sounded like a coach saying “hey, I did everything right, we called the right plays - players just screwed it up”. Because of his persona and approach, Sanders tends to throw players under the bus in a similar way. It can work for short periods of time, but tends to fail in the long run.

Sanders is good for the game since his "love him or hate him" personality generates passion.

Is he a good coach? Who knows. He attracts talent, that's for sure.

People point to the improvement last year over 2022. But CU has also been essentially a 4-5 win program for the 10-15 years before that. The Big 12 is fairly soft so if he doesn't win more than 5 games this season then I think he'll be seen as a bit of a fraud. Can't talk the game he does winning less than 8 games.

These are probably interviews from disgruntled players that he pushed out the program. Some people want him to fail so much that they will believe every report.

We took a coach from his staff that came from this same culture. Is it more acceptable here because it’s making SU better?
Just b/c someone is disgruntled doesn't mean they shouldn't have been disgruntled. I've always hated how that word is used dismissively.

Any coach who has no problem with a player making his signing announcement with a Glock on the desk is a coach with problems.

Last edited:

I think you can truncate that last paragraph after the word "staff".

Fran did not come in and tell the current players they suck. Fran worked on keeping his best players and building around them. He’s trying to build a culture around current and new players.
Prime is trying to build around his son and Hunter. He’s basically been coaching only his son. From little league, high school, Jackson st and now Colorado.

Nick Williams was at Colorado for one year and jumped - how the heck do you know if he's representative of their culture or not? He was at A&M with ERob for longer than that.

Fran did not come in and tell the current players they suck. Fran worked on keeping his best players and building around them. He’s trying to build a culture around current and new players.
Prime is trying to build around his son and Hunter. He’s basically been coaching only his son. From little league, high school, Jackson st and now Colorado.
I don’t think every player was happy to be told there was no spot for them. I wonder how that would influence their thoughts on Fran and the SU program.

He’s just coaching his son and Hunter? That’s such an over statement. You can not like the guy all you want but don’t make stuff up.

Sanders is good for the game since his "love him or hate him" personality generates passion.

Is he a good coach? Who knows. He attracts talent, that's for sure.

People point to the improvement last year over 2022. But CU has also been essentially a 4-5 win program for the 10-15 years before that. The Big 12 is fairly soft so if he doesn't win more than 5 games this season then I think he'll be seen as a bit of a fraud. Can't talk the game he does winning less than 8 games.
I don’t know if he’s a good coach but he brings a lot to the game. He has influence. Generated a lot of revenue for UC. We are so used to people doing it a certain way. It makes people uncomfortable when it’s not done the way we are accustomed to seeing. I do think he wins 6-7 games. That’s still better than going 1-11

I don’t know if he’s a good coach but he brings a lot to the game. He has influence. Generated a lot of revenue for UC. We are so used to people doing it a certain way. It makes people uncomfortable when it’s not done the way we are accustomed to seeing. I do think he wins 6-7 games. That’s still better than going 1-11
He brings alot of bad attention too. The way he's building his program has no long term vision. He's a sugar high HC. Of course i'll eat crow if he wins 10 games this year and is there for 5-6 years of sustained excellence.

My guess is this is his last year and it'll end badly.

Are you basing that off what the previous staff did? Losing by 30 each game. Because that’s a big jump. He might find ways to win those type of games this year.
No i am not. The previous staff is not a standard to judge by. There was a huge roster turnover, so they weren’t coaching the same team. He won more because of the talent upgrade, not necessarily because of his coaching ability ( if you separate that from recruiting ability).

If he's encouraging fist fights and is letting kids with domestic violence issues on campus then the school is going to be hit with massive lawsuits. That's a big if, because I have no idea if the allegations in the article are true, but if they are true then that goes beyond anything 99.9% of schools would want to be associated with. So the article is wrong or Colorado has a messed up moral compass.

I hope the article/piece was wrong because someone innocent might end up dead or really hurt because of some of the guys with questionable histories that he's bringing to campus.