How lucky are we? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How lucky are we?

The final four was definitely real and

it was SPECTACULAR. :cool:

images

Oh come on.

They're in the ACC.
They've pwned us at hoops for like a decade+ - we managed a split w/ them this year, yay.
(and football - They've been to like 10 consecutive bowl games, while we're trying to get back to another.)

They'd kill to be in the discussion for the NCAAT right now.

They're in the ACC.
They've pwned us at hoops for like a decade+ - we managed a split w/ them this year, yay.
(and football - They've been to like 10 consecutive bowl games, while we're trying to get back to another.)

They'd kill to be in the discussion for the NCAAT right now.

Peer program UMass has an even stronger history of dominance over us.

Just because Rutgers would kill for an 18-14 record doesn't mean it's not mediocre.

You guys know what "mediocre" means right?
Apparently it must be defined as less than 20 wins to you. :noidea:

It just may be time for Jimmy to go. Problem is what will happen under Mike. For years, I was a huge Hop supporter, now I am very unsure. Will be be his own man or will be be Jimmy Lite ? I simply don't know what to expect from him. All I know is that he will need to bring new energy and new ideas to the program He will have to be able to figure how what has not went well the last few seasons and to bring some changes about. However, I fear he has gotten stale in the same way that Jimmy has.

My biggest concern with Mike is that it seems he hasn't been out recruiting as much as he used to do, and that's what's killing us on the recruiting trail. He was our best guy for a long time, and he seems to have delegated a lot of that work to Autry and Gerry, and well, the results speak for themselves. And with respect to the guys we have turned away in the last few classes, could it be that Red and GMac just don't have the talent evaluation skills that Mike or JB has?

And what makes that a bit more worrisome, to me anyway, is the looming change in command from a HOF coach with 40+ years experience to a longtime asst coach with almost zero HC experience.

You know what? It has to happen. The sooner the better. We have never lost this many games in a 3 year stretch EVER. EVER. The Final Four run was great, but once we got there, we had no chance, because we had a flawed team that couldn't really compete for a national title once we got there. The Final Four papers over some problems we have had with not just recruiting but with player development.

We have had too many kids just crap out and not get better. That's a huge problem. Where was the big sophomore year jump for Kaleb Joseph, or for Frank Howard? The "Sophomore Jump" has been the bread and butter of our program.

Florida State had to move on from Bobby Bowden, and Jumbo Fisher did a hell of a job. I'm hoping Mike is up to it. The time has come to turn over the reins. It's tough to follow a legend, but the legend is getting tired and it's time for him to spend his days watching his kids play college basketball, not coach it anymore.

What if the staff had figured out what the starting lineup needed to be just a couple games sooner (Gillon and TT). And what if we hadn't had Coleman and Chukwu come up lame. What would the conversation be now?

Very small margin of error left and a very good recovery from a terrible start with far less parts to work with.

Why can't you feel good about that??

40% of the board would be saying he got Boeheimed, 60% would say he's horrible and doesn't deserve to play.

Because, right or wrong, it was clear that Boeheim was never going to let that guy off the bench in conference play.

Yep, and I think he will perform well. Along with good measureables. His biggest weakness is his weakness. People say he needs to come back to get stronger. I'm pretty sure they have some decent strength training programs in the NBA. He would be insane to stay if he's in the 20s. I hope that him, and Battle stay or next year is gonna be even uglier it seems.
Nobody gets better when they get to the NBA, it is not a developemental league. Anyone who is not ready to play meaningful minutes is doomed to whither and die. Look at history of marginal players entering the draft and this becomes blatantly obvious.

I'm so sick of that final four being used as an excuse to ignore the other 90% of the college basketball season. Squeak into the tournament, get a 15-seed, and then get a conference team in the next game. They beat UVA on the back of 12 minutes of fury and then got demolished by a much better team. Banners fly forever, but that's hardly a repeatable recipe for success.
get_off_my_lawn.png

Average, middling, middle of the road.

Sounds like an 18-14 squad to me.

Your mediocre squad had a winning conference record in a very good (if not the best) conference this season.

Your mediocre squad had a winning conference record in a very good (if not the best) conference this season.

Yep. They also had some piss poor losses before that. Don't lose those, not mediocre. See how that works?

Yep. They also had some piss poor losses before that. Don't lose those, not mediocre. See how that works?

I'm well aware of how they were before conference play. I use conference play as the bench mark due to the line up changes. Mediocre teams don't beat 3 top 10 teams. I'd give you one, maybe a second. Not 3. Sorry

I'm well aware of how they were before conference play. I use conference play as the bench mark due to the line up changes. Mediocre teams don't beat 3 top 10 teams. I'd give you one, maybe a second. Not 3. Sorry

So if we ignore half the season, I guess we're not mediocre. Good point. Hopefully the committee sees it that way.

So if we ignore half the season, I guess we're not mediocre. Good point. Hopefully the committee sees it that way.

At this point are you of the opinion that it will be a mistake to put Syracuse in the tourney?

At this point are you of the opinion that it will be a mistake to put Syracuse in the tourney?

As I said in the other thread, I think we'll get in on the strength of our best wins, but if we get left out I won't complain.

As I said in the other thread, I think we'll get in on the strength of our best wins, but if we get left out I won't complain.

And I am right there with you as well. I just think there are a lot of factors that go into a season and since a line up change was made the team has pulled it together. If this was the line up all year do you believe they wouldn't be 22-10? 21-11?

Nobody gets better when they get to the NBA, it is not a developemental league. Anyone who is not ready to play meaningful minutes is doomed to whither and die. Look at history of marginal players entering the draft and this becomes blatantly obvious.

Really? Interesting. So no one gets stronger with top level strength training when they get to the NBA. Draft picks who sit on the bench for a couple years never become starters, or meaningful contributors. No one marginal ever gets better. Gotcha.

Really? Interesting. So no one gets stronger with top level strength training when they get to the NBA. Draft picks who sit on the bench for a couple years never become starters, or meaningful contributors. No one marginal ever gets better. Gotcha.

Kawai Leonard is the exact same player as he was in college. TRUE STORY!

So is Draymond Green. Isiaiah Thomas too!

And I am right there with you as well. I just think there are a lot of factors that go into a season and since a line up change was made the team has pulled it together. If this was the line up all year do you believe they wouldn't be 22-10? 21-11?

This lineup lost at Pitt and at GT. Where did this lineup prove that it could win on road or neutral site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom